Diy cab heater

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
No but my winter is pretty mild. I did take a heat gun reading one time and it was blowing 100+ deg heat air out of the heater

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
Holy crap. That sounds awesome. I'll keep you posted. My heater core measures 8-6-2 with 5/8 inlet outlet.

The fan I'm getting is probably overkill, but I can always use it as the bilge fan and blow all the heat under the seat away. It's supposedly 1700 cfm, but we'll see. For 20 bucks I don't really care.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Holy crap. That sounds awesome. I'll keep you posted. My heater core measures 8-6-2 with 5/8 inlet outlet.

The fan I'm getting is probably overkill, but I can always use it as the bilge fan and blow all the heat under the seat away. It's supposedly 1700 cfm, but we'll see. For 20 bucks I don't really care.

So you will need 2 Ts that have two 1/2" nipples and one 5/8" nipple.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Yes. If stock lines are 1/2 I need 2 t fittings with the odd joint being 5/8.

Any idea what kind of line I need to get? Will home depot have coolant line? Can I just use pex or do you think the coolant is gonna be too hot?

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wouldn't use any thing other than silicon heater hose. Its the best stuff out there. If pex blows out cause of the heat and you over heat the engine it wont take long i imagine to warp the head or smoke the rings. Any auto parts store should have heater hose

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I wouldn't use any thing other than silicon heater hose. Its the best stuff out there. If pex blows out cause of the heat and you over heat the engine it wont take long i imagine to warp the head or smoke the rings. Any auto parts store should have heater hose

Perfect. Thanks. Amazon won't ship hose to my address.... It's 2017 and Alaska still gets the cold shoulder.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You do realize that with having the heater blowing air in from the engine compartment that it will be blowing in even more moisture than you had befor. But your windshield wont freeze any mote2. So you can wipe it off and a fan mounted on the bottom side of the roof pointed at the windshield helps to keep it clear

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You do realize that with having the heater blowing air in from the engine compartment that it will be blowing in even more moisture than you had befor. But your windshield wont freeze any mote2. So you can wipe it off and a fan mounted on the bottom side of the roof pointed at the windshield helps to keep it clear

I'm gonna make a plenum and have it pull air from in the cab, through a filter, and back into the cab. Similar to a forced air furnace in a home.

Reactions: popeye
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
D7a6fbb20f847ef228bafe1651548309

This is what I'm shooting for

Reactions: elkguide and popeye
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

I either cut the wrong hose, or you are mistaken on 1/2". I'm about 98% sure I know which one of us is right, and I'm not sure it's me..... No size is mentioned anywhere in the manual as to what size the hose actually is. it does mention an adapter though, but I don't know if it's necking up or down from the hose diameter....

I may need to do a patch job tomorrow with a coupler and move further back. I don't want the heater to throttle down from the thermostat.

Off the diagram I realise now that that I did cut the wrong area, as the diagram is showing from the REAR not the side as I thought, but I imagine it's the same hose. I don't want to remove the whole floorboard under the bed Cause I'm lazy, but I will if I have to.

Anyways I'm gonna check and see if the hose I cut transitions Into something else. It must somewhere. I just assumed it was the right hose because of the area it was located at, and at the time I thought the diagram was side view. It warmed up with the coolant and was smaller than the radiator hose. Looked too big for 1/2" but thought maybe it was crazy thick walled tubing. It wasn't.

Can anyone tell me with certainty what I cut into, and if I need to patch it and cut somewhere else?
3c019587b3d37e0ba8a2ebd0c9806c9f.jpg

648c937af93f5fc5f6560c57af98295f.jpg

Reactions: popeye
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!