P1000 DNR Registration Plate location?

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That is what I'll do with my I.D. plate - neat, secure, and functional.

The forum beats the heck out of standing in the garage in below zero temps trying to decide what to do.

Reactions: JTW
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just affix it like so below, carefully drill the proper size holes (5MM) and use the black Honda push pins to hold it in place.

View attachment 61806
Just when I thought this was "the" solution I find out that my tailgate (2018) doesn't have this nice flat spot to mount the plate. In fact there is not one flat spot on the tail gate. Someone said not to mount it on the muffler cover due to excessive heat, and that leaves very few choices indeed. So I'm still trying to figure out where to mount the plate.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
My 2018 P1000 does not have this nice flat space to mount the plate. I wish it did.
My 2018 P1K5LE has the same tailgate as my 2016 P1K5D.

here is my 2018 from a pic I posted last week, same flat spot under the HONDA

LE tailgate 2018

My 2016 P1K5D
P1K License Example

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
P1k 3 passenger and 5 passenger have different tail gates.
Well there ya go learn something new everyday. Whooda thunk a need for different tailgate design.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I need to do something soon, and I've decided to make a wood plug for my receiver and attach a little plywood to that. I can make it neat, even paint it black, and that will get me on the road looking for a better solution. My trailer pulling is limited to my own property, and so this make shift idea should be a reasonable, albeit temporary, fix.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I got a p3, so I don't have the back roll bar, I made a bumper out to of 1 1/4" pipe l that dumps with the box and Made a bracket for plate, made far enough out b to clear muffler we hen box is dumped,

20180119 191219
20180119 191219

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I got a p3, so I don't have the back roll bar, I made a bumper out to of 1 1/4" pipe l that dumps with the box and Made a bracket for plate, made far enough out b to clear muffler we hen box is dumped,

View attachment 62473View attachment 62474
Very nice job. I assume you attached your new bumper to the upper two holes beneath the box with your bolt nuts being attached from the rear (very little room behind those 2 holes). How many inches did you have to come out to clear the muffler? I wish you'd have made an extra one to sell to a fellow Wisconsinite. LOL

I may lean on a friend to help me attempt to duplicate your solution when the weather warms up. The dump box had me perplexed, but your solution resolves that problem very effectively. I'm curious why your "HONDA" letters are red since mine are not painted at all. (I may attempt to contact you off forum to drain your brain a little further on details of you modification if you don't mine.) Thanks for the post.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
20180120 193111
20180120 193349
20180120 193031
20180120 193444
20180120 193111
Very nice job. I assume you attached your new bumper to the upper two holes beneath the box with your bolt nuts being attached from the rear (very little room behind those 2 holes). How many inches did you have to come out to clear the muffler? I wish you'd have made an extra one to sell to a fellow Wisconsinite. LOL

I may lean on a friend to help me attempt to duplicate your solution when the weather warms up. The dump box had me perplexed, but your solution resolves that problem very effectively. I'm curious why your "HONDA" letters are red since mine are not painted at all. (I may attempt to contact you off forum to drain your brain a little further on details of you modification if you don't mine.) Thanks for the post.
I made o out of 1 1/2" x1/8 angle, the short piece welded on the end bolted to the frame below the box is 2" angle, I made a cap on the end of the pipe. Also I put spray bed liner on the pipe, paint would chip off from stones from the tires. I wouldn't use the bumper to hook a chain on to be pulled out, don't think it would hold up to that, I put on mainly to protect from backing into something, or someonre bumping into you. It's just held on with two bolts, make sure you put lock washers on them. (I almost lost itnonce) haha. As far as the HONDA letters I just scuffed it up with some 150 or 200, and brush painted with a small brush. hope that helps also,notice I dropped it down enough so the tailgate will open, and not hit the bumper.

20180120 193111 20180120 193349 20180120 193031 20180120 193444

Last edited:
Reactions: tincangob
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 62556 View attachment 62557 View attachment 62558 View attachment 62559 View attachment 62556 I made o out of 1 1/2" x1/8 angle, the short piece welded on the end bolted to the frame below the box is 2" angle, I made a cap on the end of the pipe. Also I put spray bed liner on the pipe, paint would chip off from stones from the tires. I wouldn't use the bumper to hook a chain on to be pulled out, don't think it would hold up to that, I put on mainly to protect from backing into something, or someonre bumping into you. It's just held on with two bolts, make sure you put lock washers on them. (I almost lost itnonce) haha. As far as the HONDA letters I just scuffed it up with some 150 or 200, and brush painted with a small brush. hope that helps also,notice I dropped it down enough so the tailgate will open, and not hit the bumper.

View attachment 62556 View attachment 62557 View attachment 62558 View attachment 62559
Thank you so much. Your pictures and information will save me hours of tedious experimentation, and you sure did a nice job. I'll probably wait until it warms up a bit before I make the bumper / plate holder, but I will indeed take advantage of all the information you provided. I owe you one for sure. I was originally looking where to put the I.D. plate, but this solution will also provide some bumper protection which may serve me well too.

Again thanks (I seemed to have this sitting ready to post, but not posted. Hope this is not second post.)

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just added my plate Friday and went with the muffler shield. I was warned about melting a plate and think I'm okay as my plate is metal. When I took out the 4 allen bolts, I found there are two layers of metal heat shields behind the plastic one. And, the plastic outer shield does not seem any different than regular plastic, so how is that not melting if things get so hot back there? If the heat is enough to melt plates, hot is this basic plastic guard holding up just fine? I don't know, but behind my plate I stacked two washers to give it a little distance for air to move. I will continue to check the heat of the plate while riding as outside temps go up. If I do find it to be warm, I will change to longer screws and add a spacer, to create a one inch gap or so. But here is how mine turned out.

IMG 8714 IMG 8717

Reactions: ACfixer
ACfixer

ACfixer

Global Warming Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Melt the plate? I was seriously scratching my head on that one. This is five seconds after getting my machine good and hot.

NotHot

Reactions: Wellzy
Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Melt the plate? I was seriously scratching my head on that one. This is five seconds after getting my machine good and hot.

View attachment 261150
There have been reports of the plastic license plates getting hot enough from heat transferred through the screws to melt the plastic plate. I put my metal plate there as well, I don't see any issues withe the metal plates. In Wisconsin, we are issued our DNR stickers that go on front. Then you are responsible for getting a plate on the back end, but it can be whatever you buy that is the correct size. So plastic or metal, it's up to the owner, just stick on the same letters/numbers as the stickers and you are good to go. Mine came from Amazon already made.

Reactions: ACfixer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!