P1000 Does Honda need to be more innovative?

S

Stinger78

Feb 23, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just a random thought after doing some tire kicking at the dealership. I’ve been looking at SxS’s for a while and while Honda is my favorite, and may well become my next SxS, I can’t help but think that they need to make some large changes to their Pioneer line up. My top two choices are Honda and Polaris. This isn’t a discussion on how “Polaris makes belt driven unreliable junk,” but more about the less important, more superficial stuff.

First, color choice. Hondas lineup looks like some executive at the plant closed his eyes and randomly grabbed a couple crayons from the box and said “here’s this years color choices.” The Polaris Rangers look like exotic sports cars by comparison.

Second, options. Options are a personal choice and what may by needed or wanted by one person may not be by another. However, you must admit having a choice is nice whether or not your buddy thinks the options you picked are a waste of money. Polaris wins with the options hands down. They have cabs with full HVAC systems, various factory installed radio/speaker options, windshield wiper system that includes a washer, Ride Command GPS system which is Bluetooth capable to name a few. I wont even mention the third party accessory availability between Honda and Polaris.

Personally I’m a Honda fan and always have been. I just think they need so step up their game a little. I know they haven’t been in the SxS game very long but its time. They did do a nice job with the LE’s but I’d like to see them expand on the interior amenities as well as the options and color choices along the the whole lineup. I believe Honda makes a superior product when compared to the others but the gap is closing. The Polaris of a few years ago which was plagued with problems is gone. CAN AM is also making a very nice SxS. I am excited to see what Honda does for the 2020 model year!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I agree too....

Reactions: russknight
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I would like all 4 c.v. axles to be the same length, so you could carry one spare and it would fit any corner. I would also like doors that dont rattle. Different I.G.R. ratios offered from the factory, stuff like that.

SWB

SWB

Apr 22, 2019
South Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sometimes dependable is just not complicated. But, I do agree. But, I'm not one that like all the stickers or accessories that just stick out. I choose Honda not because of looks. If it looks part it needs play part as in Razor or such.

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a random thought after doing some tire kicking at the dealership. I’ve been looking at SxS’s for a while and while Honda is my favorite, and may well become my next SxS, I can’t help but think that they need to make some large changes to their Pioneer line up. My top two choices are Honda and Polaris. This isn’t a discussion on how “Polaris makes belt driven unreliable junk,” but more about the less important, more superficial stuff.

First, color choice. Hondas lineup looks like some executive at the plant closed his eyes and randomly grabbed a couple crayons from the box and said “here’s this years color choices.” The Polaris Rangers look like exotic sports cars by comparison.

Second, options. Options are a personal choice and what may by needed or wanted by one person may not be by another. However, you must admit having a choice is nice whether or not your buddy thinks the options you picked are a waste of money. Polaris wins with the options hands down. They have cabs with full HVAC systems, various factory installed radio/speaker options, windshield wiper system that includes a washer, Ride Command GPS system which is Bluetooth capable to name a few. I wont even mention the third party accessory availability between Honda and Polaris.

Personally I’m a Honda fan and always have been. I just think they need so step up their game a little. I know they haven’t been in the SxS game very long but its time. They did do a nice job with the LE’s but I’d like to see them expand on the interior amenities as well as the options and color choices along the the whole lineup. I believe Honda makes a superior product when compared to the others but the gap is closing. The Polaris of a few years ago which was plagued with problems is gone. CAN AM is also making a very nice SxS. I am excited to see what Honda does for the 2020 model year!

I don’t know if it comes down to the fact that Honda needs to be more innovative, but it would be nice if they create a more finished and fit the product. I have a Honda 1000-5 That I love because of its performance, reliability, and the fact that it fits my family of five without being as long as a school bus. I live smack dab in the middle of Polaris and Arctic cat country. My father-in-law works there and has a Ranger, my dad and brother-in-law both have Rangers with full cabs and HVAC systems. Polaris is have multicolored finish seats, beautiful dashes, and many amenities both standard and accessorized inside. They also are much tighter than mine. I don’t think it would be too much to ask to seal it up a bit and add a little detail on the inside. I like the look of the Honda is better because Polaris seems to have a really short and strange looking front end. I spent a lot of time and money weatherstripping and insulating my Honda for winter use and it still leaks air like a sieve. I think some simple changes in design are necessary, because I’ve heard that a lot of people don’t buy them because of the interiors and how uncomfortable the seats are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The suspension needs reworked if they want to compete with Polaris I recommend the engineers at Honda ride in one then ride in a Pioneer night and day difference. The heat older units should be retrofitted for free with the fixes Honda comes up with combating the heat in the cab. Those are my only gripes I feel like I drive a sauna on wood wheels on a cobblestone road at times.

Reactions: 0860silverado
advertisement
clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

YES , Honda needs to more attention to the details.

Reactions: russknight
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
They were innovative in the transmission and the fold out seats. Now they need to get innovative or just improve rider comfort, suspension, storage, options. Remember, they've really only been in the sxs market for 6-7 years. I don't count big red years, not really and trail riding machine.

K

KERN

Jan 16, 2019
Bakersfield California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
..but would be nice if they create a more finished and fit the product.

Even my dealer who installed the factory OEM parts (full doors, window wipers, horn, roof, rear cover, mid panel, winch, light bar) said Honda does an extremely poor job with accessories. There is clearly room for improvement and Honda is "light-years" behind Polaris. I own both and they each have their pluses and minuses.

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's all about the money that's what it boils down to.

I agree with you. With the Honda name, the engine reputation, and the Transmission it would probably easily be a $20,000 machine if they fancied it up a bit. Some changes could be made so easily with a little bit more engineering and desire that wouldn’t drive up the price too much. Think about the resources they have. They own a car company for sh@t sake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

rodriguez7

Nov 20, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I came from owning two different Kawasaki teryxs. I really like my Honda. But the fit and finish really sucks compared to the teryx. First off, no roof, how dumb is that, 2nd, 4 ply tires on a heavy machine, that’s the dumbest thing I’ve seen. 3rd, the rattling doors are the most annoying things I’ve ever seen. Other then that, the machine is nice. But I’m in the process of fixing these things after I just bought an 18k machine. My teyx, install a windshield and go. But I needed more room, so I bought the Honda, and for the most part I’m happy, engine and transmission are great. Now hopefully I don’t have any over heating issues, and I’ll be happy.

Last edited:
clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wish they would have done a better job with the dash/instrument panel/lighting/high-low beam/gear position indicator, front seat and sealed it up better.

Really skimped there in my opinion.

Still love it though.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I wish they would have done a better job with the dash/instrument panel/lighting/high-low beam/gear position indicator, front seat and sealed it up better.

Really skimped there in my opinion.

Still love it though.

And no horn. My 2005 Kawasaki Mule has a horn.

Reactions: clifforeilly
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I may be the only one, but I prefer the simpler look of Honda verse the ugly flashiness of Polaris.
Aesthetically I agree, and it seems they’re getting worse in that department. IMO, my 2009 looks way better than the newest look, but that’s not all that’s being compared here....;)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!