P500 Down-Shifting Tips

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Ha ha. Oh I know. .....I might be the only guy out here with a P500. But that's ok. Can't wait to post Nor Cal pictures! And the razzin is welcome!
Cali pics will be sick cant wait to see them

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
@Frisco ull learn my humor the more ur on here lol never personal unless ur a popo fan

Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Hmm, I noticed if I let gas off completely downshifting then it jerks, so I keep some gas and it down shift smoother.
I agree.....

D

Deleted member 3748

I'm loving the paddle shift feature on the P-500, but I haven't learned how to make a smooth Down Shift. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

Jim

Doing the first oil change made a big difference in the shifting smoothness.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Doing the first oil change made a big difference in the shifting smoothness.

True, there is direct correlation in number of oil changes and downshifting smoothness.

The more oil changes the more your skill level. So level up guys :)

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Going to ride it next 4 days and practice, lost my sleep , woke up at 4:30am this morning , had nightmare after watching new x files season :). Ok , work till 3 pm then fun. Can't wait.

484 miles now, might be doing my 2 ND oil change in the field.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Going to ride it next 4 days and practice, lost my sleep , woke up at 4:30am this morning , had nightmare after watching new x files season :). Ok , work till 3 pm then fun. Can't wait.

484 miles now, might be doing my 2 ND oil change in the field.
It won't hurt a thing if you don't get it till 700.

advertisement
TR1

TR1

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2016
Hot Springs, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I'm loving the paddle shift feature on the P-500, but I haven't learned how to make a smooth Down Shift. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

Jim
I noticed the same thing when I first drove my P5. After few days of riding you will figure it out i'm sure

Reactions: rocmar
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X

Jim
Just be sure you rpms are low enough for the gear your going down to and accelerate a little just as you down shift , Makes it smooth as butter with a little practice .

Reactions: trigger
Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I have noticed a huge difference as she got broke in. Just did the fourth oil change (changed it early since I save for moose next week and usually do 300-500 miles in the 10 days are out) went with Ams oil this time and it seems to shift a little smoother but that could be me hearing things. That being said there is a sweet spot for each gear, I have never payed attention to the speed I just listen for the right sound (old time dirt bike/Harley guy). I agree first gear is like four low in a truck......pulling, deep mud, or heavy loads. Sorry I could not give a definite answer but I Hope this helps.

Reactions: rocmar and Jshell3
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Agreed, a bit of throttle up and down does the trick, along with good oil and the necessary break in.

H

HondaTech

Does it feel like you hit the switch, theres a delay then a sudden downshift? If so try adjusting the clutch loose. ive played around with one on a first service that the issue i described above. Adjustng the clutch the way Honda wants makes its act this way. A little looser adjustment makes it alot better, feels like the ES atv's. Try turning till you feel tension then turn it back 1 full turn then go ride and continue to tighten the clutch adjustment until you get just the right feel.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!