BOX1

Talon Dust vacuum with a windshield?

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
DRKnight, looks like you also are a former ultralight flier (as I was), judging by the prop on the wall. I had 2 Teratorns, and later built a Kolb twinstar mk iii.

D

Deleted member 3748

I have Super ATV flip windshield and back window .My Talon is virtually dust free . I ride weekly with 6-24 other sxs s and almost every week someone ask me how do I keep it so clean inside . My response is always the same . It's not a RZR .
Opening the SuperATV windshield removes the dust problem, but the dirt in the eye and the rock in the face still exist. So wear goggles and stay back a little from the machine in front of you. A Wolfsnout will also help a lot!

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
DRKnight, looks like you also are a former ultralight flier (as I was), judging by the prop on the wall. I had 2 Teratorns, and later built a Kolb twinstar mk iii.

There is a long story behind that prop...
Came off of my fathers plane and later on into a air boat. He was able to cut four fingers off his hand with it. Had them sewed back on, and was lucky enough to be able to use them...

If I run into you someday, I will tell you the story...

C

coorsman

Dec 28, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
To get a little more control over my dust entry. And also cool me down in this Arizona heat.
I added side wings to direct the air to where I wanted it.
Some have added vents to the roof, left out the seal at upper front window between the roof and then added a wind deflector.
But I already have numerous things in the way inside the roof area and not much space left.

So I went with the these side wing vents.
I cut up a 3" aluminum irrigation pipe for the deflector. Welded tabs onto the roll bar to mount it too.
This has helped a lot....

Great minds think alike

807CFA95 E8D2 4B47 A9CE 59DA4CFA3C46

A

AZChuck

Nov 26, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has anyone tried plugging the tunnel that the front driveshaft and radiator hoses run through? My last ride in AZ let me discover how much heat and dirt was coming out of the shifter cutouts. This tunnel is wide open to the air from the radiator and the dust from the front wheels. Plus, looking through the shifter cutout, there are a couple places through the skid plates you can see the ground that should nicely let in more dust. I like the deflector idea mentioned earlier. I have half doors which may change the results.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have came to the same conclusion about the tunnel and given thought to deflecting air from the radiator to the passenger area. The water lines are even adding to the heat problem.

A

AZChuck

Nov 26, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. Talon R
Look at designengineering.com for heat shield material for tunnel and exhaust pipe wrap for the water lines. I used these on a Can-Am Commander where engine is between seats. Worked well! Wonder if a foam pool noodle would survive the heat? They come in various diameters. Just slit and slip over.

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5, and the ONE thing I really hate is the dust vacuum with the windshield on. Have to take it off in the summer just so I can breathe. Absolutely hate wearing goggles and dealing with bugs in my face. Haven't seen anything on this topic with the Talon yet. Looking to get one in the next week or so... Have one on hold right now. Is the Talon the same story? This is a selling point with the wife, so it's important!
I have a half windshield on mine with no curtain or shield of any kind on the back and have installed the lower doors and as far as dust getting in the cab it is not bad at all, but I am always leading.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was also tired of the dust/heat. I decided to build a firewall from hood to skid plate, block off any holes from the steering column/pedals and insulate the radiator hoses in the tunnel. It has made a HUGE difference. I haven't really posted about it because up until yesterday, I only had short spurts of dusty roads and cooler weather as a test. Yesterday I was in the back of an 11 machine ride for miles on some of the most finely powdered dusty crap I have ever been on and the dust boiling issue is greatly reduced and the in cab heat is less than 25% of what it used to be. not sure how it will work with a full windshield or enclosed cab but the the amount of air coming in from the shifter is almost non-existent now so I assume it will help. I posted pics of the firewall in this post a while back...

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I went with the Aegis air spoiler, it does the trick. Here is my review:

IMG 7763

Reactions: 906UP
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5, and the ONE thing I really hate is the dust vacuum with the windshield on. Have to take it off in the summer just so I can breathe. Absolutely hate wearing goggles and dealing with bugs in my face. Haven't seen anything on this topic with the Talon yet. Looking to get one in the next week or so... Have one on hold right now. Is the Talon the same story? This is a selling point with the wife, so it's important!
I found that on the Talon with front windshield shut, lots of dust came in from the back. Here is what I found that works.I wrote a review and made a video.
IMG 7763

https://www.talonsxsforums.com/threads/keep-the-dirt-out-aegis-air-spoiler-review.1012/#post-3546

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB
Mikehallad

Mikehallad

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2019
Highland, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am fairly convinced that there is just no way to *seal* the cockpit dust-tight. There are just too many holes/openings in the Talon. It is a delicate balance between stopping unwanted dust while keeping enough air flowing through to maintain some level of comfort on hot, sultry days. What I have done to try to mitigate the dust issue is to:

1. Add a rear window to keep dust from rolling in the back
  2. Add a SuperATV folding windshield

The windshield has three positions: 1) closed, 2) vent, and 3) open (see pics).

View attachment 130967
View attachment 130968
View attachment 130969

Admittedly, I have not had a chance to test these items yet. But, in a cursory run around the block I was able to test how well the windshield works. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of air that came through in the vent position.

My back window is the Honda soft version

View attachment 130970

I believe the combination of a windshield and back window will do about as much as one is able to do toward minimizing dust. I think we'll like the options afforded by the SuperATV folding windshield. However, it does put the seam between the two panels right at eye level for my wife and she's already expressed some concern about it. I'm 6'4" and it doesn't bother me at all. The whole package does, however, tend to make the rig feel a bit more confining - especially when looking out the front with the windshield up. It's somewhat like having the bill of a giant baseball cap in your vision. I do worry some about catching/scratching it on low-hanging limbs.

BTW - I have tried to minimize the dust routes in the floors (re: HUGE, gaping holes in proximity to the rear seat mounts) by temporarily covering them as best I could with black Gorilla duct tape. If this seems to make a noticeable difference I will try to cobble together a more permanent solution.

As I get some miles under me with this set up I'll report back. Fortunately for me, my wife has spent LOTS of miles in dust clouds on the Grizzly 700's and is used to the dusty mess. Not saying she likes it, but it isn't a surprise for her, so there's that.

Steve
I have this same windshield with a solid rear screen. It works really well in the partially open position for keeping the cab dust down. Used the same combo on my razor. Key is "the partially open position" which pushes air up over your head and back down into the cab, keeping most if the dust out.

Reactions: stellarpod
RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We put half windshield on front and built a windwhield on back. not fully enclosed but pretty close

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Last ride my buddy with a RZR showed up with these Tusk Wing Vebts. He liked them said they worked great. They have them for Talons and pioneers as well as other makes.

Reactions: Smitty335
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!