P1000 Ecu Reflash for cooling fan? Or is it more!

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@HondaTech was nice enough to set me up for the update at the end of last week. I just ran my ECU down to them and in about twenty minutes I was good to go. Thanks a ton! The next time we buy a machine I will definitely be driving past 3 or so dealerships to come see y'all based on my experience @ Honda of Fairfield

I haven't spent a TON of time in it since the flash, but things that are definitely noticable:

1. The shifting in low gear is NOTICABLY smoother. Like night and day. And it had smoothed out a lot from new (1000 miles and 2 oil changes in), but now it's darn near as smooth as running in high. Doesn't hold a gear forever and a day like it used to, and doesnt SLAM down into a lower gear as soon as you let off the gas. Great improvement.

2. I think the shifting in both high and low is quicker. It doesn't hold/clunk/jerk like it used to. This was worse in low than high, but improvement in both ranges imo.

3. I agree that it seems to have a little more "umph" off the bottom end- high and low gear. Wants to fishtail a lot more/quicker- definitely feels a bit peppier.

Overall I'm tickled to death. Bummed that I couldnt get the dealer 20 minutes down the road to do it, but it was well worth the hour and a half trip!

H

HondaTech

@HondaTech was nice enough to set me up for the update at the end of last week. I just ran my ECU down to them and in about twenty minutes I was good to go. Thanks a ton! The next time we buy a machine I will definitely be driving past 3 or so dealerships to come see y'all based on my experience @ Honda of Fairfield

I haven't spent a TON of time in it since the flash, but things that are definitely noticable:

1. The shifting in low gear is NOTICABLY smoother. Like night and day. And it had smoothed out a lot from new (1000 miles and 2 oil changes in), but now it's darn near as smooth as running in high. Doesn't hold a gear forever and a day like it used to, and doesnt SLAM down into a lower gear as soon as you let off the gas. Great improvement.

2. I think the shifting in both high and low is quicker. It doesn't hold/clunk/jerk like it used to. This was worse in low than high, but improvement in both ranges imo.

3. I agree that it seems to have a little more "umph" off the bottom end- high and low gear. Wants to fishtail a lot more/quicker- definitely feels a bit peppier.

Overall I'm tickled to death. Bummed that I couldnt get the dealer 20 minutes down the road to do it, but it was well worth the hour and a half trip!

We really appreciate your business and trusting us enough to drive the distance for a service you shouldn't have had to fight for.

We look forward to helping you in anyway possible in the future an hope to see you again when your ready for your next Honda purchase.

Hope you don't mind, but I've forwarded your compliments to my General Manager.

Once again, thanks for the opportunity to provide you service and let everyone know that there are a few dealers out here who truly care about your Honda owner experience.

If anyone else is interested in this option, message me and we'll work it out. Like @dnjones161 stated if we know your coming ahead of time, turn around would most likely be under a half hour.

Last edited:
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We really appreciate your business and trusting us enough to drive the distance for a service you shouldn't have had to fight for.

We look forward to helping you in anyway possible in the future an hope to see you again when your ready for your next Honda purchase.

Hope you don't mind, but I've forwarded your compliments to my General Manager.

Once again, thanks for the opportunity to provide you service and let everyone know that there are a few dealers out here who truly care about your Honda owner experience.

If anyone else is interested in this option, message me and we'll work it out. Like @dnjones161 stated if we know your coming ahead of time, turn around would most likely be under a half hour.

Absolutely, share away. Good service is hard to come by - it should be celebrated and shared when it's found.

I went ahead and left a glowing review on Google and fully intend to call and tell your GM what an asset you are being active on here when I get a chance this week. He just gained a customer they never would have seen without your engagement online- tough to put a price on that but unquestionably an asset to your business.

H

HondaTech

Absolutely, share away. Good service is hard to come by - it should be celebrated and shared when it's found.

I went ahead and left a glowing review on Google and fully intend to call and tell your GM what an asset you are being active on here when I get a chance this week. He just gained a customer they never would have seen without your engagement online- tough to put a price on that but unquestionably an asset to your business.

Thanks again, our dealerships takes our slogan "Cincinnati's Finest" to heart.

I've been in this business for going on 11 years and always want my customers to be happy with my provided service. It pains me when someone gets frustrated with Honda because of a bad dealer experience. So many of the Pioneers alleged issues have been due to poor dealer service and ignorance.

H

hammick

Aug 1, 2019
Montana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It's crazy how some dealers fight doing these updates. I had to pretty much threaten not to buy my '18 LE that I drove three hours to pick up if they didn't do the update. I would love to be able to give my business to HondaTech's dealership.

Reactions: TripleB
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
It's crazy how some dealers fight doing these updates. I had to pretty much threaten not to buy my '18 LE that I drove three hours to pick up if they didn't do the update. I would love to be able to give my business to HondaTech's dealership.
Yep he is a smart dude and has helped me out several times

Reactions: TripleB and Landman
H

HondaTech

We updated all of ours before they leave regardless if the customer requested it.

It's free money, I dont know why others are so against doing it. Honda pays .2hr and the majority of the time is waiting on the update to load. It literally takes seconds to set up. I do the majority of the ones that come in while I'm changing the oil or doing other recalls/updates.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just had mine done yesterday while they did the gas pedal recall. The salesman told me it was done before I bought it this spring but I guess it hadn't been updated. I've had it heat up twice without the fan coming on so hopefully this takes care of it. I did drive it a little bit last night and like others say it does seem to shift smoother. We'll see how it holds up.

Reactions: dnjones161
Roborlilw

Roborlilw

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Tucson,Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Would buying a OEM ECU from a newer model year help my 2016 1000-5 Deluxe with the low end torque? P/N for a 2018 is 38770-HL4-G81 and mine is 38770-HL4-A13. Thanks.

H

HondaTech

Would buying a OEM ECU from a newer model year help my 2016 1000-5 Deluxe with the low end torque? P/N for a 2018 is 38770-HL4-G81 and mine is 38770-HL4-A13. Thanks.

I've looked into it, I don't think it would work because some of the values of sensors and what triggers DTC changed on '17 and newer models. Plus the seat belt safety thing would need to be figured out. I don't believe you'd gain anything anyway.

Roborlilw

Roborlilw

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Tucson,Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
That makes sense. Thank you.
What is your opinion on the Silber Turbo ECU reflash for the Pioneer 1000?

T

Twelch92

Mar 8, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 19 as well in the shop at the moment getting a new ecu put in. But the shops waiting on honda bc apparently they cant get it to flash right or their machine isnt working right but either way im very curious to see if theres a difference
What year is your machine? I have a 19 and like the thought of the flash changing the shift points as well as coasting more when slowing down instead of dropping through the gears. Keep us posted as you get more ride time under different conditions. I would also be interested to know if the flash improved the heat conditions.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!