P500 Effects of Tire Weight

mrjeff42

mrjeff42

Mar 22, 2015
lagrange georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I've got a 16, hits the limit at 42 on speedo, with stock tires that was 37 actual on GPS. After swapping to 27" tires it'll do 41 on GPS at the limiter. A friend has a 17 and swears it only hits 36-37mph on the speedo at the limiter. Anyone else have this happen?

To the OP, I was concerned about the weight of the tires when I ordered also but the P5 has such low gearing to start with it does fine. I still start out in 2nd, if anything I think the extra weight helped smooth out the power delivery, shifting, etc.
i agree with everything you said.... from the speed of a 16 and 17 to the weight of tires not being a problem at all

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I ran the super atv intimidators for a few months when I first got my 1000-5 and they rode smooth and drove good. They didn’t have the sidewall strength I wanted. I ran 28x10 all the way around. No power loss that I could tell. I don’t do top speed runs though. Rarely get above 35mph if that. View attachment 70201

@my99svt @Tigermark look at little peaches. Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the look of the Super ATV Intimidators, and they look awesome on your P1000! But if I remember correctly they only come in 14” wheels. I’m planning on going with 12” wheels since I’m not going any bigger than 27-28” tires. Feel like the 12” wheel with that short of a sidewall will help with the ride by allowing the tires to flex a little more. I’ve only ridden a handful of atv’s with 14’s and 27s/28’s but I remember them feeling pretty stiff at slow speeds, especially on a lighter machine.

G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
I've got a 16, hits the limit at 42 on speedo, with stock tires that was 37 actual on GPS. After swapping to 27" tires it'll do 41 on GPS at the limiter. A friend has a 17 and swears it only hits 36-37mph on the speedo at the limiter. Anyone else have this happen?

To the OP, I was concerned about the weight of the tires when I ordered also but the P5 has such low gearing to start with it does fine. I still start out in 2nd, if anything I think the extra weight helped smooth out the power delivery, shifting, etc.
My 17 hits the limiter at 39 on 27" tires. I don't know what it would do on the stock tires. I only put a couple miles on it before swapping to the 27s.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My 17 hits the limiter at 39 on 27" tires. I don't know what it would do on the stock tires. I only put a couple miles on it before swapping to the 27s.
Are you measuring speed with the on board speedometer or a GPS? The speedometer read out won't change any with tire size change, actual ground speed will change with a larger tire size.

Does anyone know....did they lower the red line rpms or change the ratio of 5th gear or final drive in the 17 & up models?

Reactions: Ragincajun92
G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
Are you measuring speed with the on board speedometer or a GPS? The speedometer read out won't change any with tire size change, actual ground speed will change with a larger tire size.

Does anyone know....did they lower the red line rpms or change the ratio of 5th gear or final drive in the 17 & up models?
The speedo, l’ll have to check with the GPS someday. I don’t get out on the highway very often.

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
The Mega Mayhem’s seem to actually be a good blend between aggressive looking and not weighing too much.. anyone have any experience on these? Assuming they’re decent in mud but how about on trails?

Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Mar 19, 2018
Kingsland, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500

I have been trying to figure out if they changed the gears in the 2017 and up or not and haven't found a answer. I have been told that the 15-16 are geared lower so you would think they would be slower if that's the case. maybe it has something to do with the new transmission. All i know is wot on my 18 that is bone stock with 40 miles on it says the speedo is 40 mph and hitting the limiter and on gps its really only doing 37-38 mph

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have been trying to figure out if they changed the gears in the 2017 and up or not and haven't found a answer. I have been told that the 15-16 are geared lower so you would think they would be slower if that's the case. maybe it has something to do with the new transmission. All i know is wot on my 18 that is bone stock with 40 miles on it says the speedo is 40 mph and hitting the limiter and on gps its really only doing 37-38 mph

The Pre-17's had a lower 1st & Reverse gear

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Is it a lot lower? Will the 17 and up have a harder time turning bigger tires?
I haven't been able to find the specs on the change, it's just what I've read from the marketing "mumbo jumbo". There was a small change in the final drive ratios but not enough to make a big difference. P500 - Honda Pioneer 500, 2017 Gear Improvements!

On my bike, even with 27's, I still start off in 2nd gear and can hit the limiter easily in 5th. I think I could have went with 28's or 29's without issue. If I could figure out a way to make an overdrive gear instead of the underdrive gears available I'd be all for it.

Reactions: JWB
Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Mar 19, 2018
Kingsland, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I haven't been able to find the specs on the change, it's just what I've read from the marketing "mumbo jumbo". There was a small change in the final drive ratios but not enough to make a big difference. P500 - Honda Pioneer 500, 2017 Gear Improvements!

On my bike, even with 27's, I still start off in 2nd gear and can hit the limiter easily in 5th. I think I could have went with 28's or 29's without issue. If I could figure out a way to make an overdrive gear instead of the underdrive gears available I'd be all for it.
what year is yours?

Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Mar 19, 2018
Kingsland, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
So i wondering now because i have a 18 p5 if i should still be looking at running 27" vampires. kinda got me worried it want turn them.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I bought my '16 as a leftover last summer and test drove a '17 at the same time and didn't see much of a difference. I went with the '16 due to color and price. Check some of the other threads, I'm sure you'll find others with '17's that are running similar tires.

Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Mar 19, 2018
Kingsland, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I bought my '16 as a leftover last summer and test drove a '17 at the same time and didn't see much of a difference. I went with the '16 due to color and price. Check some of the other threads, I'm sure you'll find others with '17's that are running similar tires.
I’ve been looking but seems like everybody has a 15-16 modelThat’s on big tires. Maybe I should make a post about it since no one really knows

G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
So i wondering now because i have a 18 p5 if i should still be looking at running 27" vampires. kinda got me worried it want turn them.
I have 27" ITP Mud Lites on my 17. I can't go over second gear climbing steep hills, the same with deep mud and deep heavy wet snow. You will always have power enough to turn them in first gear, just not much wheel speed.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The Mega Mayhem’s seem to actually be a good blend between aggressive looking and not weighing too much.. anyone have any experience on these? Assuming they’re decent in mud but how about on trails?

I had the 30" Monster Mayhems and the tread pattern is almost the same. Good in the mud, seems to strain the motor some on sandy trails, and they will beat you to death and rattle everything on your machine on hardpack stuff. I didnt mind though because we were normally in sloppy conditions.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have 27" ITP Mud Lites on my 17. I can't go over second gear climbing steep hills, the same with deep mud and deep heavy wet snow. You will always have power enough to turn them in first gear, just not much wheel speed.
This is what I see as well, downshift on hills, 2nd gear for mud or steep hills. You have to remember, it's 475cc engine, it's not gonna turn big tires in the upper gears regardless of the size.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!