Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I had the 30" Monster Mayhems and the tread pattern is almost the same. Good in the mud, seems to strain the motor some on sandy trails, and they will beat you to death and rattle everything on your machine on hardpack stuff. I didnt mind though because we were normally in sloppy conditions.
Your wife said your brain rattles all the time anyways??? HA!

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Well I went to my dealer yesterday to get a quote for my first 100 mile service and ended up looking at all the tires they had in stock. The Zillas actually look wayyy better in person than they do in pictures. Plenty aggressive look to them! I picked up a 28x11x14 mounted on some aluminum wheels to see how heavy they were and they felt pretty dang light. Think I’m getting closer to pulling the trigger on something and leaning towards the 28 zillas (on 12” rim) after seeing them in person . Those would come in either 10” wide or 12” wide.. What would be the better setup, 10” all around or a 10 front/12 rear setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mrjeff42
Kajunz400

Kajunz400

Oct 18, 2017
Sw louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Well I went to my dealer yesterday to get a quote for my first 100 mile service and ended up looking at all the tires they had in stock. The Zillas actually look wayyy better in person than they do in pictures. Plenty aggressive look to them! I picked up a 28x11x14 mounted on some aluminum wheels to see how heavy they were and they felt pretty dang light. Think I’m getting closer to pulling the trigger on something and leaning towards the 28 zillas (on 12” rim) after seeing them in person . Those would come in either 10” wide or 12” wide.. What would be the better setup, 10” all around or a 10 front/12 rear setup?

I would go 10" all the way around. So you could rotate front to back if wanted/needed to. Or carry a spare.

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I would go 10" all the way around. So you could rotate front to back if wanted/needed to. Or carry a spare.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. But is there any advantage of having the wider 12” tires in the back? (Less digging?)

Reactions: BWAF
J

JTW

I actually asked this question and did some math on it back when I had my p500.. The rotational weight will most certainly impact performance as there’s already limited hp... basically it all boils down to how and where you drive. I think 27” is about all I’d want to go for what I do and as far as an all around tire.... Bighorn Originals on 5+2 aluminum wheels on all for corners!

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I actually asked this question and did some math on it back when I had my p500.. The rotational weight will most certainly impact performance as there’s already limited hp... basically it all boils down to how and where you drive. I think 27” is about all I’d want to go for what I do and as far as an all around tire.... Bighorn Originals on 5+2 aluminum wheels on all for corners!

Thanks for the input and those thread links as well. It was cool reading through those convos.. Man I thought I was analytical! But really, when you’re spending hard earned money on stuff like tires that you can’t exactly return it at least makes one feel better about the decision if they know they’ve done the research.

27” true height is definitely as tall as I want to go. Can be a little tricky though bc a lot of tires run close to an inch short of the stated size. Can tires be “stretched” a little to help get a true height out of a slightly short tire? i.e take a 27” tire that only measures 26” mounted, let them sit at like 20psi for a couple days, the air back down to normal riding psi and the tires be the true 27” height? I’m guessing not but it would keep you from having to spend an extra $100 buying the next size up to compensate.

Reactions: mrjeff42 and JTW
Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the input and those thread links as well. It was cool reading through those convos.. Man I thought I was analytical! But really, when you’re spending hard earned money on stuff like tires that you can’t exactly return it at least makes one feel better about the decision if they know they’ve done the research.

27” true height is definitely as tall as I want to go. Can be a little tricky though bc a lot of tires run close to an inch short of the stated size. Can tires be “stretched” a little to help get a true height out of a slightly short tire? i.e take a 27” tire that only measures 26” mounted, let them sit at like 20psi for a couple days, the air back down to normal riding psi and the tires be the true 27” height? I’m guessing not but it would keep you from having to spend an extra $100 buying the next size up to compensate.

Anyone? Hoping to make a decision on size and order next week.

Reactions: mrjeff42
mrjeff42

mrjeff42

Mar 22, 2015
lagrange georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone? Hoping to make a decision on size and order next week.

I'm no expert but i don't think you can stretch a tire.... but on the other side you can get a bigger tire and run less air and make it smaller.... a lot of people run less air than recommended.... i believe this is true but again I'm no expert

Reactions: Bastardchild
Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I'm no expert but i don't think you can stretch a tire.... but on the other side you can get a bigger tire and run less air and make it smaller.... a lot of people run less air than recommended.... i believe this is true but again I'm no expert

Gotcha. That’s sorta what I was thinking. I had just seen a couple folks in other random online atv forums suggesting to try that “stretching” method and was curious.

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Gotcha. That’s sorta what I was thinking. I had just seen a couple folks in other random online atv forums suggesting to try that “stretching” method and was curious.

Yea, that's kinda like buying a power band for a dirt bike!

Reactions: JWB and BWAF

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!