P500 Weight of stock wheels and tires?

J

JTW

Does anybody have the weight of the stock wheels and tires on the p500? Seems like I saw it somewhere but I can't find it? Any chance anyone knows the weight of each? I know.. I'm a dumbass and getting waaaay to technical!!

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are you trying to achieve?

J

JTW

Trying to figure the base line for the stock machine and what the increase in tire/wheel weight takes from the machine. There's a formula to figure power loss from rotational mass increase.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rocket science for me. How practical will this info be for you?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

J

JTW

That's what I'm trying to figure out.. It takes a lot more to move a rotational mass.. For example.. It takes a lot more to move an increase of wheel/tire weight than if you just added that weight to the racks.. Also, the further it is from the hub the bigger the impact. Im just learning about the physics behind it but it was surprising how much it impacts things. On top of the added weight you're essentially raising the gear ratio a little. I realize I'm splitting hairs at this point.. But when you don't exactly have spare hp with the p500, every bit counts. I'm sitting on my thumbs until the 17s come in.. So I may as well try and figure things out. I'm going to be putting on tires and probably wheels so I'm just weighing the pros and cons to height vs width and how that translates to weight and what that weight actually represents as "lost" power.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I simplify it to this: if I need more flotation and have swampy/snowy landscape, I go with 12" wide all over, if no swamps and mostly rocky then 9" wide all over. I prefer 26" because they dont bounce so much on every small hole and roll over obstacles better. The gears in P500 low enough to have good torque on those 26" wheels.

What for are u trying to use P500 where every HP counts?

J

JTW

I simplify it to this: if I need more flotation and have swampy/snowy landscape, I go with 12" wide all over, if no swamps and mostly rocky then 9" wide all over. I prefer 26" because they dont bounce so much on every small hole and roll over obstacles better. The gears in P500 low enough to have good torque on those 26" wheels.

What for are u trying to use P500 where every HP counts?
I agree.. Just curious on the numbers. I'm wondering what the loss is from stock to this or that size. As for what I'm using it for... Everything! My point is if going up a size in height and width cost you 5 hp is it worth it?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sense we're talking about the P5 with a 475, go light.

Reactions: JTW
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree.. Just curious on the numbers. I'm wondering what the loss is from stock to this or that size. As for what I'm using it for... Everything! My point is if going up a size in height and width cost you 5 hp is it worth it?

Yes, even if I lost 5 hp with going up from 24 to 26" tires, I dont care, I dont feel this lost , but my butt was feeling bumps , comfort in ride means a lot to me. I'm able to do 40 mph or a bit faster with 26" tires and clearance is better.

More +++ then negative with bigger tires. Plus, 2" difference not big enough , but if you would go from 24 to 30" then it will be different story.

J

JTW

Yes, even if I lost 5 hp with going up from 24 to 26" tires, I dont care, I dont feel this lost , but my butt was feeling bumps , comfort in ride means a lot to me. I'm able to do 40 mph or a bit faster with 26" tires and clearance is better.

More +++ then negative with bigger tires. Plus, 2" difference not big enough , but if you would go from 24 to 30" then it will be different story.
I'm going with 26x9x12 all the way around, so I'm with ya on the reward vs cost.. But was curious to see how a 27 inch or an 11 inch wide tire impacted it. I was surprised by the weight difference the extra width or height added. There's 4lbs between 2.0's and originals in a 26x9x12.. Is that actually a significant amount when it's all said and done or is it negligible for the benefits gained. Just trying to find that base line on what the stock wheels and tires weigh to compare to. Plus it could help between which brand tire to choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JTW

Sense we're talking about the P5 with a 475, go light.
Yup.. Just thought it would be handy to have something to correlate the changes to vs hoping for the best. I feel the 26x9x12 will suit me best, but obviously I've been a pain in the ass to get there. Lol. I figured this might help someone in the future with their selection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Agreed.

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Just weighted a front and rear stock tire but no rims. 16# 9oz. for the rear and 13# 8oz. for the front. The tires are substantially new.

Reactions: JTW
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'm going with 26x9x12 all the way around, so I'm with ya on the reward vs cost.. But was curious to see how a 27 inch or an 11 inch wide tire impacted it. I was surprised by the weight difference the extra width or height added. There's 4lbs between 2.0's and originals in a 26x9x12.. Is that actually a significant amount when it's all said and done or is it negligible for the benefits gained. Just trying to find that base line on what the stock wheels and tires weigh to compare to. Plus it could help between which brand tire to choose.
Don't forget lug nuts and valve caps. :)
So are you going with the same wheel offset front and back or...
rear track will be narrower than front.

J

JTW

Don't forget lug nuts and valve caps. :)
So are you going with the same wheel offset front and back or...
rear track will be narrower than front.
Well s***.. Now I have to start all over! Stupid valve caps!
I think I'm going to do a 5+2 with 26x9x12's all the way around. Unless someone changes my mind. All of that is still contingent upon how the 17 drives though.. But that's my game plan.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well s***.. Now I have to start all over! Stupid valve caps!
I think I'm going to do a 5+2 with 26x9x12's all the way around. Unless someone changes my mind. All of that is still contingent upon how the 17 drives though.. But that's my game plan.

5+2 I assume you are gonna buy ITP wheels? I have ITP SS212 wheels 5+2 offset, but I use 26x11x12 on rear tires.

ITP makes 2+5 offset. To be more even in width front and rear if you plan to buy 9" wide wheels then buy 5+2 front and 2+5 rear wheels
or use stock wheels.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!