P500 Weight of stock wheels and tires?

J

Jshell3

5+2 I assume you are gonna buy ITP wheels? I have ITP SS212 wheels 5+2 offset, but I use 26x11x12 on rear tires.

ITP makes 2+5 offset. To be more even in width front and rear if you plan to buy 9" wide wheels then buy 5+2 front and 2+5 rear wheels
or use stock wheels.
Good to know. Eventually, I would be asking this very question!

J

JTW

5+2 I assume you are gonna buy ITP wheels? I have ITP SS212 wheels 5+2 offset, but I use 26x11x12 on rear tires.

ITP makes 2+5 offset. To be more even in width front and rear if you plan to buy 9" wide wheels then buy 5+2 front and 2+5 rear wheels
or use stock wheels.
I was under the impression that 7 inch wide wheels with 9 inch tires all with the 5+2 offset would put me in the same track front and back? By the way.. What's the point of the offset between the front and back? And yes.. The 212 is one I've put on the short list!

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Search this forum for original wheels offset, rear wheelbase if I use this term correctly is shorter, so thats why Honda used wider offset wheels and wider tires. Front is longer to accommodate narrower tires for better / easier steering

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Search this forum for original wheels offset, rear wheelbase if I use this term correctly is shorter, so thats why Honda used wider offset wheels and wider tires. Front is longer to accommodate narrower tires for better / easier steering

That's true, narrower tires up front improve steering due to the obvious reduction in friction.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think MPG will be also better with narrower tires, if u go 9" wide all around.

Reactions: rocmar and JTW
C

Chooglin

Stock tire size , wheel size and offset is :
Front wheel : 12x6
Front tire : 24×8×12
Offset : 4.5+1.5

Rear wheel : 12×7.5
Rear tire : 24×10×12
Offset : 6+1.5

Last edited by a moderator:
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Wait Wait !!
Well s***.. Now I have to start all over! Stupid valve caps!
I think I'm going to do a 5+2 with 26x9x12's all the way around. Unless someone changes my mind. All of that is still contingent upon how the 17 drives though.. But that's my game plan.
Wait Wait !! Air or nitrogen ????????

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Wheel weight: Stop worrying about it. It doesn't make enough difference for you to feel.

These are not 1000 HP high performance machines. They are low speed, low performance, off road toys (and fun as sh*t).

Rotational Mass has to do with bringing the wheels up to speed "rotationally" not forward motion of the machine. The speed of your tires is so slow (26" tire = 775 Revolutions per mile), and your acceleration is so slow, that it is going to be imperceptible.

On the race track wheel weight is a tiny advantage you might play with. Not in the mud.

Your inability to spin tires in the mud is not related to the weight. It is a function of grip.

Additionally... Tire manufacturers usually reduce weight by reducing side wall thickness. I'll let you rationalize that.

Reactions: JTW
locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
JTW, I will defend to the death your right to play with tire weight calculations and acceleration formulas. Sometimes people just need to do stuff like this to make sure their brain has not left the building. But then it can get taken too seriously. :rolleyes:

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Lol.. Dude, tires are important on a Polaris forum.. They're the only thing they have that don't break down!
Did he just say the P word? off with his head!!!
Ha.
I went with Sedona Ripsaws and felt no loss in power. I'm running 26s. Or is it 25? Sh.. I cant remember. My ride sits all summer. Too hot to ride. Fall is around the corner!!

Reactions: trigger and JTW
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
JTW, I will defend to the death your right to play with tire weight calculations and acceleration formulas. Sometimes people just need to do stuff like this to make sure their brain has not left the building. But then it can get taken too seriously. :rolleyes:
Be the engineer at work
Be the guy ready to ride.....
the rest of the time

Reactions: webby and JTW
J

JTW

Wheel weight: Stop worrying about it. It doesn't make enough difference for you to feel.

These are not 1000 HP high performance machines. They are low speed, low performance, off road toys (and fun as sh*t).

Rotational Mass has to do with bringing the wheels up to speed "rotationally" not forward motion of the machine. The speed of your tires is so slow (26" tire = 775 Revolutions per mile), and your acceleration is so slow, that it is going to be imperceptible.

On the race track wheel weight is a tiny advantage you might play with. Not in the mud.

Your inability to spin tires in the mud is not related to the weight. It is a function of grip.

Additionally... Tire manufacturers usually reduce weight by reducing side wall thickness. I'll let you rationalize that.
That's the point of all this.. At what point does it matter. We could tell a difference in my buddies 25" slingshots.. Just curious.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Did he just say the P word? off with his head!!!
Ha.
I went with Sedona Ripsaws and felt no loss in power. I'm running 26s. Or is it 25? Sh.. I cant remember. My ride sits all summer. Too hot to ride. Fall is around the corner!!
If ya call it a PoPo
it's kool...

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Lol
Sorry JTW. We're like brothers around here, won't let anyone else talk crap about you...
but we get to poke fun whenever we want. ;)
lol.. I understand.. The only people I don't give s*** are the ones I don't like!

Reactions: trigger
J

JTW

Mine is still there.. I know because it's starting to hurt!!

J

JTW

Ok.. So what wheels do I want for an all 4 corners setup running 26x9x12?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!