Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So it's still crickets on an electric plane? Where do all the used up batteries go? When mining for lithium are electric vehicles going to be used? What kind of lube will be used for wind generators? Will they still be subsidized so they will show a profit?

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Many times necessity drives innovation. Amazing how fast new technology comes when the cheese is moved. I work for you a technology company, as competitors make it harder to compete we miraculously come up with new innovation that keep our edge. Look what Tesla has done in a short time. Yes they only represent less than 1% of cars sold, but that’s how many of our technologies start out. Costs come down and then economics of scale drive costs further. I love my gas engines. Think about tools. Most of us use cordless tools now. 10 years ago they were not good enough due to power or battery life.
How much does a Tesla cost, batteries, insurance. Where do the old batteries go?

R

Rickertracing

Feb 4, 2021
Azle Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
More idiots from Cali move here (Texas) every day and bring their liberal agendas with them. We have had extreme cold Canadian type weather her this week and because of all of the cutbacks on oil and gas (just since Biden took office) over 4 million of us have either had no power at all for 3-4 days or had rolling blackouts in below 0 temps because the wind turbines are frozen and the solar panels are covered with snow and can’t keep up with the power demand. Hopefully this will be enough for the idiots to see that it doesn’t work. Oh and there’s no gas at ANY gas stations statewide.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How much does a Tesla cost, batteries, insurance. Where do the old batteries go?

What’s the cost to the environment to get the rare earth minerals needed to make the batteries and solar panels? They come from strip mining.

There is NO zero emission vehicles. The emissions just occur down the street at the power plant.

What if all of the vehicles in Texas were electric now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bobrhino

Bobrhino

Sep 19, 2018
Arizona & Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I dont live to run with any herd, so here goes. I live in south utah, and have occasion to go further south yet- that takes me down into the las Vegas valley where the brown crap in the air plugs up the sky. Just came home through Phoenix and Tucson and the sky looks a lot the same. Have any of you guys noticed something similar close to you? I do believe that the feasibility and cost of any project have to somewhat equal the benefits , and i also believe that the climate is changing- feel free to debate why that's happening if you like. I know i like blue sky and breathing air that doesn't hurt my throat, but maybe some of you guys have different values. Electric "stuff" may not be an answer, but it can be a first step. Fwiw i made a lot of money in the timber industry and i full well understand the unwillingness of the preservationists to consider anyone else. Am i hearing the same thing here?
Hey Dankathy, while truly not boasting of living here in Southern Nevada for nearly 24 years, nor even liking our BLUE STATE politics, our skies are generally much cleaner than say 12-15 years ago. Actually cleaner than busy St. George (southern) Utah area some days. Growth and development unfortunately can bring brown crap sky. Oh, and the winds and desert dirt contribute too.
We do love Utah though. And we can still buy E0 fuel there.

Reactions: Biteme
B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Child like "magic thinking" that completely ignores the basic laws of thermodynamics and reality foisted on us by child like politicians with zero critical thinking skills other than run with the herd, self enrich and get reelected. If I shut my eyes, hold my breath, wish real hard, and force feed this to the suckers who keep electing me it will come true! Same folks who brought us genius designed gas cans that spill more gas than goes in the tank. Yet, here we are.
Well said and you echo my feelings exactly. Professional mechanical engineer in Arizona for 48 years with decades of alternative energy system design and troubleshooting on an international stage. There is a place for alternative energy systems, but you cannot make it the only choice.

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Leadership can make make things possible by enhancing innovation and development. I don't know that electric car's are an answer, but I think a lot of smart people are working on it- results are yet to be seen.
There is lots of innovation and development going on in America for alternative energy systems. My trade journals are filled with it every month. Politicians like to think they lead the way. I designed the first large scale solar energy systems at Ft. Huachuca, Az back in the 1980's and assisted Los Alamos Research Labs with techniques for innovative solar thermal designs.

Last edited:
B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'll stick to my gas powered one until I can get a Mr. Fusion to hook up to it. My suspicion is that EVs sound good for cars...even I kind of want one...but if everyone gets one the electrical grid will collapse and we will know that long before 2035. Also, what a lot of these politicians don't really get is that gas engines are pretty high efficiency but EV's...by the time you transport the electricity from the power plant to the charging station and use it...you probably only have about 35-40% efficiency so we will be using more fossil fuels to generate all that electricity, not less.

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I'll stick to my gas powered one until I can get a Mr. Fusion to hook up to it. My suspicion is that EVs sound good for cars...even I kind of want one...but if everyone gets one the electrical grid will collapse and we will know that long before 2035. Also, what a lot of these politicians don't really get is that gas engines are pretty high efficiency but EV's...by the time you transport the electricity from the power plant to the charging station and use it...you probably only have about 35-40% efficiency so we will be using more fossil fuels to generate all that electricity, not less.
What’s the cost to the environment to get the rare earth minerals needed to make the batteries and solar panels? They come from strip mining.

There is NO zero emission vehicles. The emissions just occur down the street at the power plant.

What if all of the vehicles in Texas were electric now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well spoken. The raw materials for all the components necessary to electrify the transportation system would do tremendous ecological damage to many pristine parts of the world. There is a need to reduce carbon emissions, but liberal thoughts typically fall well short of real answers. We will need a mix of technologies, not just solar and wind fantasies to make it happen. Professional Engineer in energy matters for 48 years.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Only politicians, and, by definition, fools, believe in finger-snap solutions to complex problems, thus creating more, and bigger problems.

Reactions: Biteme and CID
J

jchristo1

Nov 20, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Even a small vehicle battery about doubles the average home's usage each day. California's electric distribution systems can't even handle a hot day these days. They'll need to build more power plants, and completely rewire and automate their distribution system to handle these new loads. They'll spend years peeing their pants about environmental damage from solar and wind farms. And we've all seen enough movies made by over-the-top progressives to know that running new power lines is dangerous to wildlife, livestock and crops. They'll study the problem and block development until 2050 and never have enough clean power and the new distribution system in place by 2035. Yeah, bring an extra battery, if you can find a vehicle that's charged enough to bring your ATV to the place you're gonna ride.

Jaybee1013

Jaybee1013

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You young guys may not be too happy, not a problem for us Super Seniors. Some of the electric motorcycles are pretty good now. For big SxS rides you could always carry an extra $3,000 battery and have a passenger to help install it.

California will be banning sales of new non-electric off-road vehicles | Visordown
Nobody loves the internal combustion engine more than I do, but Global Warming is a real thing, and companies have to commit soon or they will be left on the side of the road. People who are complaining about electric vehicles obviously have never driven one? They are instantly FAST! There will be hurdles to overcome such as water proofing, etc., but it’s for the good of the planet, and your grandchildren.

I was hoping politics wouldn’t be on this site. Let’s all have fun and provide information to other members and share events and experiences.

Jaybee1013

Jaybee1013

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Even a small vehicle battery about doubles the average home's usage each day. California's electric distribution systems can't even handle a hot day these days. They'll need to build more power plants, and completely rewire and automate their distribution system to handle these new loads. They'll spend years peeing their pants about environmental damage from solar and wind farms. And we've all seen enough movies made by over-the-top progressives to know that running new power lines is dangerous to wildlife, livestock and crops. They'll study the problem and block development until 2050 and never have enough clean power and the new distribution system in place by 2035. Yeah, bring an extra battery, if you can find a vehicle that's charged enough to bring your ATV to the place you're gonna ride.
They are making electric trucks right now!

• Haha
Reactions: JenElio

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Nobody loves the internal combustion engine more than I do, but Global Warming is a real thing, and companies have to commit soon or they will be left on the side of the road. People who are complaining about electric vehicles obviously have never driven one? They are instantly FAST! There will be hurdles to overcome such as water proofing, etc., but it’s for the good of the planet, and your grandchildren.

I was hoping politics wouldn’t be on this site. Let’s all have fun and provide information to other members and share events and experiences.
I had a brief drive in a customer's Muskellunge Model S. Fast, but no thanks.

Reactions: Biteme and JenElio
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Nobody loves the internal combustion engine more than I do, but Global Warming is a real thing.

You sure about that or are you basing it off the "science" the government is offering up?

This was the DFW area over the last few days...
20210216 071346

20210216 071045

20210214 163441

Jaybee1013

Jaybee1013

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess the correct term is Climate Change. just because Texas gets snow and it is cold elsewhere doesn’t dispute science.
thats what is great about this country, we are each entitled to our own opinions.

Reactions: Fischer
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I guess the correct term is Climate Change. just because Texas gets snow and it is cold elsewhere doesn’t dispute science.
thats what is great about this country, we are each entitled to our own opinions.
Please refer me to this "science" you speak of so I can be enlightened..... Climate change is a normal thing that occurs on earth over a period of time and has nothing to do with anything man made. Humans were not around during the prehistoric era and yet everything died off. How does your science explain that away?

Not looking to argue, but it's seems everyone that's into the global warming and climate change BS bases their beliefs on a bunch of made up science that is full of holes that can be disproven with actual facts.

By the way...... The earth isn't flat either. Sorry to disappoint you. 🤣

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
People just don’t get it. The electricity needed does have to come fro somewhere. The car still needs to be built. The batteries still have to come from somewhere. It ain’t magic.
to replace an already existing rig to a new electric one is imo not helping. To have a set date on when gas won’t be allowed really puts a hurt on a lot of people. Gas will go up and it’ll be done to force bs agenda. Anyone that has a gas powered car now has 0 equity and is forced to basically buy new, it takes under 1/2 the manual labor to build electric so those are out of work, any mom/pop repair place is out of business, most other repair shops as well. Be a lot of people out if business. Lotta cars to throw away as well.
Electric cars don’t require as much maintenance but it’ll become much more specialized so the consumer will wind up having to pay more strictly dealer. Things will be much more replace then repair, and if I’ve learned ANYTHING in the business it’s that not only is technology it’s far more expensive down the road and effects resale huge. Diesel trucks are one example, high end European cars another, a f***ing 1500$ taillight when an led goes out is another so people are very wary of used technology and the price suffers. Batteries when the car has many miles on it will prove to be scary and only the well off will be ok with something new. A backyard hardworking guy is done.
Lube shops are done as well. And same with performance or custom installed items, now you just call up manufacture with credit card and crap that was there you just pay extra for, but at a massive premium. It’ll become impossible and illegal to mess with anything not to mention so integrated that you can’t. But that integration will cost you up front, during the life of the rig and resale value.
Some things won’t be able to be reproduced on electricity but that’s stuff the left doesn’t do so it’s no matter.
Then you simply talk about control, it’ll be real hard to be in situation where you need to push people out of your way or the likes of if it came down to it. All you need to do soon is stand in front of the car and person is locked so it would be easy to do whatever to that driver. The car could be shut down if you’re “out of bounds” or you could be required to stay in certain area. Electricity goes out or grid problems you’re done. There will be more car hacks. Problems associated with self driving. If you’re car throws a code it’ll be shut down till it’s serviced by the “correct” facility.
Just so much stupid s*** involved. I don’t mind driving my recycled s***, I think it’s more green to do that and keep rigs for years then replace every year because the new one has a bigger lcd screen. Lotta people don’t even test drive s*** anymore they simply call and order their new cars. I’m not going to be one of those clowns all excited about my car driving itself, I like driving and I like working in things, that’ll be the past to tell our grandchildren about, the good ol days.
Just the opinion from a good ol hard working backwoods American hick.

Last edited:
B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Well said!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!