Engine modifications

amelung45x

amelung45x

Nov 20, 2020
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hey its me again lol. Here is today's thinking. Since I've been messing with engines, building derby cars, drag racing all my life, I enjoy modifying an engine. Since I'm fairly new to this scene, I have a lot of questions. This is why Im bringing this up. Is it worth the time, money, and effort to build one of these engines. I found a top end kit that I'm interested in buying. What are the pros and cons. Any feedback once again will be greatly appreciated.

H

HondaTech

The Hess upgrade wakes the Talon up pretty good without going forced induction.

Shifts much firmer and pulls really hard. We've installed one a few months back and that's probably what I would do if building a Talon.

amelung45x

amelung45x

Nov 20, 2020
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
The Hess upgrade wakes the Talon up pretty good without going forced induction.

Shifts much firmer and pulls really hard. We've installed one a few months back and that's probably what I would do if building a Talon.

Thank you for the feedback. how was the installation of this kit. in other words, is it a weekend project that I could do in my home or am I better off taking it to a shop to have it done.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here is something else I found that might help out too.

Let me know how you guys feel about this.
Doesn't do much of anything hp wise except give your intake boot a better clamping surface and allows a $hit ton more dirt into the filter vs the stock setup.

On that note, I have that same kit on my car. I used the spacer as insurance against the intake boots leaking, and the elbow to mount my home made pre filter kit to after cutting off the flared lip at the top.

20200922 163910

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Doesn't do much of anything hp wise except give your intake boot a better clamping surface and allows a $hit ton more dirt into the filter vs the stock setup.

On that note, I have that same kit on my car. I used the spacer as insurance against the intake boots leaking, and the elbow to mount my home made pre filter kit to after cutting off the flared lip at the top.

View attachment 241405
That's the second pic you've posted with a strut, do you race it that way or is that just for moving around the shop?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
That's the second pic you've posted with a strut, do you race it that way or is that just for moving around the shop?

Just for moving it around the shop while the shocks are off. Doesn't ride so good like that! 🤣

Reactions: Biteme
advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Don't get me wrong, I'd probably try it on an ice racing course or a flat track just to see if it was the "hot setup". Im not above trying dumb stuff. 😁
Trying dumb stuff is how the fastest guys got to be the fastest, it's also how we got men on the moon and robots on Mars - keep it up. 👍

amelung45x

amelung45x

Nov 20, 2020
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X

View attachment 241405

Thank you for the information. Do you know of any intake/ throttle bodies that would be worth installing for more torque/ horsepower. Am I just better off getting a dynojet programmer instead.

amelung45x

amelung45x

Nov 20, 2020
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here is another question I've had on my mind. Is it better to go with the stock radiator or with an aftermarket one like the one I have posted.

Since I own muscle cars, many derby cars, and my truck, I've always ran a better radiator than stock. Now with that in mind, will it make a difference going with another radiator than stock or is it better to just stay with stock and I need to quit over thinking things lol.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
..... I need to quit over thinking things lol.
This ^^^^^ or are you just looking to spend money on it? Are you having cooling issues with the stock radiator?

As far as the engine mods, are you a decent mechanic? The Talon/Pioneer 1K engine in just another engine......it's just nuts & bolts. Do you have any experience rebuilding an engine? Are you comfortable tearing into it to do the mods? You are the only one who can answer that. This is a bit more than changing the oil or swapping an air filter.

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
amelung45x

amelung45x

Nov 20, 2020
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
This ^^^^^ or are you just looking to spend money on it? Are you having cooling issues with the stock radiator?

As far as the engine mods, are you a decent mechanic? The Talon/Pioneer 1K engine in just another engine......it's just nuts & bolts. Do you have any experience rebuilding an engine? Are you comfortable tearing into it to do the mods? You are the only one who can answer that. This is a bit more than changing the oil or swapping an air filter.

Not to boast about myself cause I hate doing that. I have a High Performance Associates degree from my college University Of Northwestern Ohio. I own my own business as a auto mechanic that I do on the side from my main job. I consider myself a decent mechanic. I dont say I'm the best because I'm not. I always learn new tips to the trade all the time. I've built drag and demolition derby motors. Since I've done that, my little brother has learned from what I taught him and he has became a very well known engine builder for demolition derbies in northwest Ohio. I love tearing down engines especially a Chevy small block. This is all new to me cause honestly I never done it. Thus the reason why I'm asking all these question. So yea Ill tear down a motor if I needed to make more horsepower and torque. That's fun for me. At the same time, I know what its like making the wrong decisions. That's how I learned to not to do lol. I really do appreciate your post. Im up for the challenge. I just need help on what I need to do.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not to boast about myself cause I hate doing that. I have a High Performance Associates degree from my college University Of Northwestern Ohio. I own my own business as a auto mechanic that I do on the side from my main job. I consider myself a decent mechanic. I dont say I'm the best because I'm not. I always learn new tips to the trade all the time. I've built drag and demolition derby motors. Since I've done that, my little brother has learned from what I taught him and he has became a very well known engine builder for demolition derbies in northwest Ohio. I love tearing down engines especially a Chevy small block. This is all new to me cause honestly I never done it. Thus the reason why I'm asking all these question. So yea Ill tear down a motor if I needed to make more horsepower and torque. That's fun for me. At the same time, I know what its like making the wrong decisions. That's how I learned to not to do lol. I really do appreciate your post. Im up for the challenge. I just need help on what I need to do.
A motorcycle engine is a little different (because the engine and transmission are usually one unit) and the case "splits" in half to get the internals out. The Talon adds a little complexity to the mix with the DCT. There are a lot of parts in there but it is not that difficult with average or better mechanical skills. You should be just fine but I suggest you get yourself a service manual and study the engine chapter BEFORE you tear it down. It will save you a lot of headaches knowing what to expect before you start. It will also tell you if any special tools are required and you can get them beforehand.

As far as "bolt on" power such as intake, exhaust and tuners. Don't waste your money, they do not add much (if anything at all). You will spend $2000 for a couple HP and not feel a thing. Honda did not leave much on the table in terms of stock HP. Only mods worth the time and money are a Turbo and/or internal engine mods.

Cooling system is VERY good on the Talon. It will keep a Turbo unit cool on a 100 degree day at the dunes where we run them hard all day. Only reason to do anything to the cooling system is to relocate the radiator to the back if the cab heat is too much for you and/or you mud a lot and plug the radiator fins up with mud.

amelung45x

amelung45x

Nov 20, 2020
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
A motorcycle engine is a little different (because the engine and transmission are usually one unit) and the case "splits" in half to get the internals out. The Talon adds a little complexity to the mix with the DCT. There are a lot of parts in there but it is not that difficult with average or better mechanical skills. You should be just fine but I suggest you get yourself a service manual and study the engine chapter BEFORE you tear it down. It will save you a lot of headaches knowing what to expect before you start. It will also tell you if any special tools are required and you can get them beforehand.

As far as "bolt on" power such as intake, exhaust and tuners. Don't waste your money, they do not add much (if anything at all). You will spend $2000 for a couple HP and not feel a thing. Honda did not leave much on the table in terms of stock HP. Only mods worth the time and money are a Turbo and/or internal engine mods.

Cooling system is VERY good on the Talon. It will keep a Turbo unit cool on a 100 degree day at the dunes where we run them hard all day. Only reason to do anything to the cooling system is to relocate the radiator to the back if the cab heat is too much for you and/or you mud a lot and plug the radiator fins up with mud.

Thank you for the tip. My neighbor has the manual for his and I talons. Ill definitely look it over for sure. Ill stick with getting a new stock radiator. I just figured since im replacing a lot, now is the time to do mods if needed.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank you for the tip. My neighbor has the manual for his and I talons. Ill definitely look it over for sure. Ill stick with getting a new stock radiator. I just figured since im replacing a lot, now is the time to do mods if needed.

Why do you need a new radiator, did you damage yours?

If you need a new stock radiator, I have the one I pulled out of my car to go rear mount. It was removed at 55 miles and is complete with the fan and overflow tank. Its in like new condition and I don't need it anymore.

PM me if you are intrested. Im in North East Texas and can ship UPS through work.

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Why do you need a new radiator, did you damage yours?
I would say so...

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!