P500 Finalally, wiring up my winch, a couple questions

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I bought the Super Winch kit towards the end of last year. I mounted the winch to the SM bumper, but didn't get the wiring done before the cold weather set in. Yesterday evening, gave her a quick bath and put her up on the ramps, removed battery box cover and main skid plate, in prep for wiring.

Per members suggestion, it looks like using the blue and yellow wires to the battery will allow for the relay to mount in the oem recommended location. Thx for that. It looks like I have two options for the positive hook-up to the battery. I could mount the CB card direct to the positive post or connect, like the oem, to the terminal on the starter relay. I haven't seen anyone mount the CB direct to post, are there other issues awaiting there?

The negative will tie into the frame ground, like the oem. I plan to pick-up some 1" loom tubing today, to run both wires in, following along the main oem harness. Luckily, I didn't have the battery box cover removal issue. :) I was searching the forum for the cover "fixes" but came up empty. Can someone point me to them?

Also, haven't decided exactly where/how I will mount switch and remote plug. I found one thread where a member mounted switch near door latch and remote out the grill. I'd appreciate any other mounting options members have found. Thx.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
While I have not used these auto reset CB's in parallel, I have used singles on electric trolling motors. I have had issues with them cutting in and out under high current conditions. Have they been working well for those that wired them in? I guess I'm leaning toward how the oem winch is done.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
FWIW, I have a circuit breaker wired directly to the positive post. Then it goes to a bus bar that accessories run off of including the winch.
If you plow with yours, mount the rocker where it's most comfortable for you. I went edge of dash in the center. You'll only use the remote in an uncompromising situation where you're out of the machine, easily accessed no matter what position your ride might be in. I went next to cig lighter in firewall. Hope this helps you Fuzz.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the recommendation on rocker switch position. While I don't have a plow, have been considering one, and if my snow blower died, I'd certainly would get one ASAP.

I'll have to take a look at the bus bar you mentioned. Thx.

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
Per members suggestion, it looks like using the blue and yellow wires to the battery will allow for the relay to mount in the oem recommended location. Thx for that. It looks like I have two options for the positive hook-up to the battery. I could mount the CB card direct to the positive post or connect, like the oem, to the terminal on the starter relay. I haven't seen anyone mount the CB direct to post, are there other issues awaiting there?

The negative will tie into the frame ground, like the oem. I plan to pick-up some 1" loom tubing today, to run both wires in, following along the main oem harness. Luckily, I didn't have the battery box cover removal issue. :) I was searching the forum for the cover "fixes" but came up empty. Can someone point me to them?

Thx.

I'm not sure exactly what type of fix you require for your battery box. This is what I did when I installed my winch to make room for the large cables.

P500 - I hacked my electric box...

I wired my CB to the positive terminal with a short piece of cable. Full details of my installation can be seen here:

P500 - Obsessive winch install.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'm not sure exactly what type of fix you require for your battery box.

I was referring to the nuts for the cover, that many people have reported "spinning" preventing the cover from being easily removed. I thought I remembered seeing some fixes for that posted here.

PS: Yes, I found your thread and pictures helpful. :)

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I finished up the heavy duty wiring this evening. Here are a few notes for those considering or yet to install this kit:

- 3/4" loom tubing was sufficient size to fit both 6ga wires in. I went thru a roll of 10' for doing both sets of wires.

- There is an OEM bracket welded to the square tubing where the oem winch relay is suppose to go. Upper left corner under the hood. I almost missed it and would have drilled two holes in the tubing. Hole spacing for the Super Winch relay is the same as the oem. :)

- The blue or yellow wire is slightly short from reaching from the positive battery post to the relay. I attached the red short lead to make it long enough. This would be the same for CB mounted to positive battery post, or wiring direct to the starter relay, like the oem kit does.

- The other wire for the negative is long enough since it is mounted closer at the ground junction.

- Speaking of the blue and yellow wires, from a color coding point of view, it would be better that the yellow is positive and blue negative, like how it would be to the winch motor. I noticed this about 3/4 of the way done, so my positive is the blue cable. ;)

- The red and black wires were just long enough to reach from the relay to the winch motor. My winch is mounted higher than others being on a Strong Made bumper. They may be too short for mounting a motor low, like the oem position.

PS: I have some pics to post, but my host is having some issues currently.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
SuperWinchelement4
SuperWinchelement5
SuperWinchelement7
SuperWinchelement8
SuperWinchelement9

Reactions: Bad_bowtie
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Finished up the install today. I mounted the switch where Trigger did. Also mounted the remote plug under neigth it.

SuperWinchelement11

Seems to work fine and buttoned her up except for skid plates. he new ones should be here tomorrow.

Reactions: trigger
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!