Firearm of choice for deer season?

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This would be my choice if I was buying a new rifle/scope combo today. I kick myself for not buying one a few years back at Academy when they had Tikka stainless/synthetic at $399. Heck, my safe had an open spot just calling out for it also.
I screwed up, what can I say.
That's where I grabbed two, the other two came from europtic on sale. All 4 are the original T3 models. Hell of a rifle for the price paid.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a 1903 Springfield 30-06 sporterized that my dad got some years ago that was in use in 1944-45 there abouts so was most likely a sniper rifle in WWII. My father handed it down to me when I was 15. Can shoot through the Eye of a needle at 100 yards as the saying goes. I’ve taken many deer with it with no tracking just a drop.

I also like my old marlin lever action 30-30 with a Bushnell scope when I have a Doe tag yo fill.

I have a Browning 300 Win mag I will use for bigger game some day as well as a Ruger Black Hawk .44 Mag with a scope.

P

PNWGuy

Last deer I got in Idaho was a tiny but delicious young buck with my Ruger M77 AWR in .30-06 with a Nikon 3x9 at 99 yards.

Mt osbE1Qs6PsmcFTltNIA

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 1903 Springfield 30-06 sporterized that my dad got some years ago that was in use in 1944-45 there abouts so was most likely a sniper rifle in WWII. My father handed it down to me when I was 15. Can shoot through the Eye of a needle at 100 yards as the saying goes. I’ve taken many deer with it with no tracking just a drop.

I also like my old marlin lever action 30-30 with a Bushnell scope when I have a Doe tag yo fill.

I have a Browning 300 Win mag I will use for bigger game some day as well as a Ruger Black Hawk .44 Mag with a scope.

++ on the 03 - A3. My dad brought 2 back from WW2. Installed custom stocks, Douglas barrels, jeweled actions. 3 shot groups covered with a quarter at 100 yds. I have taken many deer and elk with it. Its my # 1

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
++ on the 03 - A3. My dad brought 2 back from WW2. Installed custom stocks, Douglas barrels, jeweled actions. 3 shot groups covered with a quarter at 100 yds. I have taken many deer and elk with it. Its my # 1
That’s awesome ! Mine has a jeweled bolt as well.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wish I still had the time to deer and elk hunt, but I picked the wrong career. :)

I've always been a Mauser fan. My first deer gun was an old Spanish Mauser in 7mm. Heavy bugger with a big ol goose neck stock.. but it took out plenty of deer when I was younger. I still have it, but the barrel is pretty much toasted.

Now I have several Mausers.. an Austrian Vore 98 in 30-06 that is beautiful, and shoots incredibly well. It would be my choice for deer or elk if I had the opportunity. I used to have an Oberndorf 98 in 8mm, but ended up selling that one.

Also have a large ring 98 in 45-70. Beautiful, and stout as hell. I ended up with a handful of un sporterized mausers too. For a brush gun, I take my mdl 94 (pre-64) in 32 special. That sucker has taken it's share of deer too.

longrhoads

longrhoads

Lifetime Member
Oct 10, 2019
US
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Think it depends if your hunting mullies or white tail. I’m in New Mexico so big mullies is the only choice. This year I used a 308. I have a few of friends that used a 308 and smaller this year and all of us had same issue with bullet doing a roller coaster ride once it entered and either took out front quarter meat or went the other way and made a mess in the guts. In the past, I’ve used my 7 mag and made good through lung/heart shots and not screwing up the meat. 79149857144a5db788be04c623c4afd4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!