sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So my buddy from home and I got together with another friend and a new friend and took the Grey Ghost for it's maiden voyage. I rode these trails throughout high school, but haven't been back for at least 20 years.

First off, this is a great machine. Smooth shifting, quiet and could talk easily. But, it is not as trail friendly as my buddy's Arctic Cat. The other sxs was a Rhino, and the 3rd guy rode his dirt bike. Trails were mostly creek beds and large gravel logging roads.

I don't understand why anyone would think Low is good to ride in. It is too low for me. I spent most of my time from 10 mph and higher. I used it when crossing the rivers and with steeper terrain, but that was it. Spent my time in High Auto. There was one section where I used Manual due to how steep and long it was, but could still go 10-15 mph and was always shifting between 2nd and 3rd, occasionally 4th. In auto mode it was shifting every few feet and was really annoying and interfered with that section of the ride.

The heat from the seat is tough. Mainly after riding through water with the steam coming up. Really became uncomfortable.

The seat belts tightened up on my kids as well and I just had them unbuckle from time to time to fix it.

I felt the shudder some as others have stated, but feels like lugging a manual transmission. Don't think at all this will affect long term performance. Was always just a couple of seconds.

I have Trail Armor full skids and A-arm guards, Honda Roof, Honda Glass Windshield, and Superwinch Terra 45 sr.

What did I learn:
1) No idea why I waited until July to buy this machine. I love it and it will be a good addition to my family for riding and hunting!
2) Low was too low for my riding today. I don't think I'll use it much at all.
3) Seat heat is hot for summer riding.
4) Windshield needs a wiper in the rain and with splashing mud puddles.
5) I need to reprioritize my future purchases

Future Purchases:
1) Squeegee for the windshield - it is a must to be able to see well with any water. RainX will help to I believe.
2) Some sort of wiper, too. Whether hand operated or power, when riding in the rain something is better than nothing.
3) Had a lot of spray swirl in from behind and a rear or mid panel would help, so others have stated.
4) A seat heat shield will be on before our next ride. Must in the summer.

Leatherwood Falls - Bergoo, WV
IMG 0746 IMG 0736

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wow, great scenery and great review.

Did you ride the whole time with the windshield in place? If it's not raining, the breeze helps slot. Even if it is 90°

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Beautiful scenery and enjoyed the review. Nice to hear another owner with good things to say. They are truly awesome machines. I use low quite a bit, even for faster driving (20-30 mph). The constant shifting does get on my nerves so I use the paddles sometimes to avoid it. Glad you had such a good ride.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow, great scenery and great review.

Did you ride the whole time with the windshield in place? If it's not raining, the breeze helps slot. Even if it is 90°

Yes, we rode the whole time with the windshield in place. I wanted to take it off, but my wife was afraid of the rain, so it was a nice heat test. It poured the rain and we stayed dry. It was worth it. Now I'll use Jackals rec's for heat shielding to fix this for the rest of summer and will take it off for winter/deer season/turkey season. I have to be able to take it off for the winter, kids (and I) will be much happier with some heat.

Another thing I thought was the tires seem awful soft. Just like the sidewall just couldn't take the weight of the machine. I ran 13 up front and 14 in the rear. This is a big machine and I wanted to try the factory recs. I don't think I'd want to run any lower and a blow out was a concern all day. Thinking of swapping out to 28" Sedona Ripsaws which are 8 ply, but 10" all the way around. That makes me think about just going stock, but 27" are 6 ply. So, I just don't know what or if or when I'll get new tires. Thoughts?

I also saw where some are running in Turf mode on the trails and I don't think I would like that. I ran in 2wd 98% of the time and never had trouble. It's such a heavy machine I think it needs more to run on the trails. Thoughts about this?

Reactions: joeymt33
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also distance. We left at 11 and returned at 530 and only made 33 miles. We have rough trails, meaning the base is just smaller than rip-rap and are water worn from being creek beds. Some dirt once in the trees, but not much. Which also has me looking at WE front shocks, but it will be hard to put off lights, 2nd battery for those. I have moved Mud Busters to the head of the list after fixing the heat.

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@sugarray, do you have the 14" wheels and Big Horns? Or the 12" steel?

The big horns are 4 ply RATED, they are super soft and I run mine at 20 psi. I've heard good things about the Ripsaws, you would really love the 8 ply. Another thought, if you have 12" wheels you could upgrade to 14" if you want more stability.

Check out the Rockabilly tires. Those are great. Roctanes are good, ITP Blackwater EVOs, are all 8 ply and would hold the weight good.

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As for riding in turf mode on trails, thats what I run majority of the time. Alot of it is dried up creek beds too. It's amazing how well it hooks up in turf mode. We even go through some pretty nasty mud holes with it. Personally I like having open diff when I'm not in something really nasty.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
More about tires, you can get EVOs in different sizes. You can run 27x9 in the front and 27x11 in the rear. You can get those sizes for 12" or 14" wheels.

As for using turf mode, there's no right or wrong. It's up to you and your preference. I like how turf mode makes the vehicle corner better because the outside tire can run faster in turns. Also, turf mode will save your tires. However, if the terrain requires extra traction or you prefer the feel of both tires pushing, then there's nothing wrong with that.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the 14" deluxe wheels. I thought about more pressure too. Think I'll try 18-20 lbs next ride. Thanks for the info!!

Reactions: joeymt33 and Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the 14" deluxe wheels. I thought about more pressure too. Think I'll try 18-20 lbs next ride. Thanks for the info!!
I tried higher air pressure in my Evos for the Pioneer takeover at RRB. Rig was all over the trail. Luckily Joey was there to talk some sense into me. I've been at 8 to 8.5 ever since.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Try the 20 psi in the tires as it will help a lot, but they are still soft tires. I agree with Joey regarding turf - user preference, but I agree with Delton as well - turf is what I run in 95% of the time. Normally if it's bad enough to require 2wd, it's enough to go ahead to 4wd. I suspect that running in turf is much easier on many components, and have really been surprised how well it goes in turf.

Waylan

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do have the Blackhorn 2.0's. It is worth a try not to have them feel so soft

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My son and I went out today to run the trails on one of my hunting properties. I wanted to see how the Pioneer handled the trails, were the trails clear, and what shape they were in. This is the steepest area we hunt and I really wanted to try out low coming down the hill. The Pioneer was flawless. I ran in low and 2wd and no problems! Put in 4wd lock to come down the hill and Low was NOT LOW ENOUGH. Picked up more speed and used brake more than I would have liked. Quite the opposite of my previous ride, but this was completely different terrain. I ran 20 lbs in each tire and was much stiffer. More than I liked so will drop to 18 for next ride. Although not apples to apples was just a little "bouncy" for my liking. We then ran the gravel road at my in-laws and the dust swirled in terrible. Will be getting a rear panel just as soon as I can.

Just can't say enough good things about this machine. It is everything and more I hoped it would be. I believe they all have heat and we are all dealing with it with ingenuity. I will also be adding the bilge fan to help with the heat and looking at shielding the rear seats some how.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Is there is any max speed in turf mode?

None at all.

Max speed is reduced in low because of the rpms. That's it.

SIGNATURE:
CumminsPusher quote: Boredom + Pioneer = trouble for me. I can't stop. Damn these things guys. I thank god I'm not the only one though. If it's just you then you're crazy if it's a group it's a sport!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run turf most of the time for trails but it can get squirrely if you start to stomp on it. Yesterday I was doing a beat run down the blacktop it shifted to 2nd and busted loose for a second so much so I had to steer to correct it. That was spooky but impressive I was surprised being dry out and with the Tensor tires. Stays straight in 2 lock but does chirp them shifting into 2nd

Reactions: Murph and joeymt33
Murph

Murph

Jun 16, 2016
Pinetop/Lakeside Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run the Tensors and where I live my Pioneer is street legal so it runs on everything from blacktop at 55 mph to no road Rocky Mountain side cutting wood in the Nation Forest. I just think it would be better to run around town in Turf mode I guess.?.

Reactions: Plumber32
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I run the Tensors and where I live my Pioneer is street legal so it runs on everything from blacktop at 55 mph to no road Rocky Mountain side cutting wood in the Nation Forest. I just think it would be better to run around town in Turf mode I guess.?.

Running turf mode will save your tires for sure, unless you are spinning that one tire too much.

I generally run turf mode on the trail until the terrain gets loose or there's a hill climb. I don't want to spin too much and wear the tires.

SIGNATURE:
CumminsPusher quote: Boredom + Pioneer = trouble for me. I can't stop. Damn these things guys. I thank god I'm not the only one though. If it's just you then you're crazy if it's a group it's a sport!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Turf mode on blacktop for sure. It will save your rear diff. In wisconsin we have a lot of road routes and one of the biggest repairs on sxs is rear diffs and seals. When it's locked it creates alot more heat. With the binding that's created not being able to slip. At least that's what a few dealers have told me.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So went for another ride today. Rode about 20 miles. Even dropping tire pressure to 18 all around was too much. Next ride I'll run 15 up front and 16 in the rear. I ran in turf mode all day. When crossed a river I put in 2wd. She ran beautifully. The fan was unnoticeable when running and not sure how well it worked. I think it worked some as the seat was not as warm as last ride that didn't have it. No one rode in the back to check the concerns from my last ride. I continue to love this machine more and more every time I ride. Up to 81 miles. If I get to ride this weekend, I'll have to change the oil!! Ready for hunting. I do need to get both the rear and mid fabric panels to decrease the air swirl. That is when I feel heat. Also, need to at least get the rear Mudbusters to help. It just slings a lot back there.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!