P1000 Flat Belly Build

J

JTW

I don't want the top of tire any higher than the top of the rear seats. I have a cargo box I like to carry behind the seat and it would be nice to have the tire rack sit in the same position as the Honda bed extender.

My 2 year plan is to do a 400-500 mile 5 day ride with my wife and 2 boys. We will need all the cargo room we can get but it should be doable
Where?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's an eBay item that has a deeper bed extender. Maybe you could mount a tire on it?

That rack adds 6-8" to the tailgate which means the rack sticks out about as far as I want the edge of the tire to stick out. I'd rather not make the overall length significantly longer.

Reactions: JTW
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That rack adds 6-8" to the tailgate which means the rack sticks out about as far as I want the edge of the tire to stick out. I'd rather not make the overall length significantly longer.
Ok. I give up... lol

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok. I give up... lol

I've looked at almost all the options for good reason. I want something that works. Not really any different than the skid plate, lots of good ideas out there but maybe not for the price or maybe not good enough

Have you thought about pulling a trailer?
Would not consider it at all.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've looked at almost all the options for good reason. I want something that works. Not really any different than the skid plate, lots of good ideas out there but maybe not for the price or maybe not good enough

May I ask why?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you thought about pulling a trailer?
May I ask why?

I bought the Pioneer to get dirty and have fun. I wanted something with onboard storage room and without the footprint of my F150 (IE RZR4 or can-am crew cab). The trailer would ruin manueverability and reduce the fun factor.

With most of my tools recovery gear and straps tucked under the hood and a good amount of storage space now under the rear passenger foot areas, I think we can pack light and make it work.

How about a roof rack for lighter items?

I'm not interested in making the CG higher.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I bought the Pioneer to get dirty and have fun. I wanted something with onboard storage room and without the footprint of my F150 (IE RZR4 or can-am crew cab). The trailer would ruin manueverability and reduce the fun factor.

With most of my tools recovery gear and straps tucked under the hood and a good amount of storage space now under the rear passenger foot areas, I think we can pack light and make it work.

That's understandable. I wish you the best on your plan and trip. If I find something or see an idea that might work for you ill let you know.

J

JTW

I'm not interested in making the CG higher.
Storage under the passenger foot areas????

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's understandable. I wish you the best on your plan and trip. If I find something or see an idea that might work for you ill let you know.

Thanks. I'll probably look into the rear rack more seriously towards spring.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Storage under the passenger foot areas????

With the full belly skid plate I gained 2 cubby holes 8" wide x 10" long and 6" tall forward of each rear tire. They look like they'd fit an ammo can or similar water proof box without issue.

Not great photos because I haven't looked into the idea too much yet

IMG 20161230 222738934 IMG 20161231 115928851

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the idea!! What are you thinking for access to them?

Not really sure yet. The ammo can could slide in from the rear. But wouldn't be able to get out if the unit was cross articulated. So straps and recovery gear wouldn't be a good idea to store there. If the box was robust and waterproof, water snacks and spare fluids would probably be fine and only really be needed when you're stopped. I need to think this one through a bit more.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
With the full belly skid plate I gained 2 cubby holes 8" wide x 10" long and 6" tall forward of each rear tire. They look like they'd fit an ammo can or similar water proof box without issue.

Not great photos because I haven't looked into the idea too much yet

View attachment 30314 View attachment 30315
Something like this is very easy to build gives lots of extra load especially with gate down. We go anywhere with it might be something?
IMG 8073

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!