TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Jacked up the bike to tweak it a little and I’m definitely not right. I know I need to bring the front end down because I’m about an inch higher up front than I am in the rear but that’s not my concern because I’ll adjust the fronts. What really caught my attention when I took the bike out to test ride it, the steering is very tight when when I turn and the wheel really wants to run straight. The bike doesn’t want to turn, wants to track straight. Hopefully taking an inch out of the spring compression will alleviate the problem. Anyone have any insight as to what I may be encountering? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It shouldn't have anything to do with the shocks. Maybe a bent tie rod?

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It shouldn't have anything to do with the shocks. Maybe a bent tie rod?

I’ll check but the bike has just been sitting since before and since I changed the shocks and everything worked just fine the last time I had it out

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I know the culprit. Along with adjusting the shocks, I also installed some pod lights and ran one of the leads along the dash on the interior top side of the steering column and the fender seemed a little tight when I bolted it back to the frame. My guess is that there my be a hydraulic line in there that got pinched, causing the steering to get tight when turning. Can anyone verify that hydraulics run behind the dash into the steering components? Thanks

Reactions: Lady01
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your power steering is electric.

In my experience with shocks I adjusted (but didn't keep) on the front, the more I firmed them up, the more "planted" the front wheels felt, and the firmer my steering play felt.

I don't see your front end wanting to go back to straight from steered as a real negative...

Try lightening your front shocks, see if it gets the feel you're looking for.

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5

In my experience with shocks I adjusted (but didn't keep) on the front, the more I firmed them up, the more "planted" the front wheels felt, and the firmer my steering play felt.

I don't see your front end wanting to go back to straight from steered as a real negative...

10-4
Thanks

M

Mike978

May 13, 2020
Lunenburg MA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked up a Fox shock set from Ron Ayers for just under $1400 shipped and got them installed today and WOW, what a difference!
How did you get them for 1400$ shipped? I am looking at them now and i am at 1729$ in the cart.

Reactions: Lady01
bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 282541

I figured I would share since I've read where people are having to pay $1700-1800 a set now. This place is free shipping an no taxes if you live outside of North Carolina.
Thanks man this just saved me at least $400 was getting ready to order a set of 814s but I really wanted fox. but they where gonna be $1850 with taxes I stumbled across this post last night order this morning

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks man this just saved me at least $400 was getting ready to order a set of 814s but I really wanted fox. but they where gonna be $1850 with taxes I stumbled across this post last night order this morning
Good deal. I wish I would have figured the prices out on their OEM accessories a couple of years ago. Would have saved me a bunch of money.

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5

After adjusting the shocks again, removing 3/4” of lift, I got in the machine to work the play out of them and saw that the drivetrain was in 4x diff lock! So I think that was probably the main reason that the steering wanted to return to straight so bad but I think taking the lift out was a good thing so no harm no foul

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
...the drivetrain was in 4x diff lock! So I think that was probably the main reason that the steering wanted to return to straight...
lol - ya think? That's a good forehead-slap moment for you. 4x diff lock is horrible for turning! In fact, while using 4 lock, you want to turn as little as possible...

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got tracking number for my fox's can't wait. I thought I was gonna piss blood Sunday when I got up from the 106 mile ride at hmt Saturday, it was brutal especially knowing I had new shocks on the way. My wife ask if she could take her spare bra out of snack bag after I get them on lol.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Order placed. $1,383 OTD delivered. Est delivery 11/19 to 11/24. We shall see.

I've actually bought quite a bit from Ron Ayers over the years (when I rode my road bikes), but didn't know about this discount on these shocks. Even with my 15% discount from the dealer where I bought the Pioneer at, it would have cost me $1,568 plus another big chunk to ship them to me or a 200 mile round trip to pick them up - so probably an easy $1620-ish or more at minimum.

Shout out to @TripleB and @Remington. Thanks!

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Order placed. $1,383 OTD delivered. Est delivery 11/19 to 11/24. We shall see.

I've actually bought quite a bit from Ron Ayers over the years (when I rode my road bikes), but didn't know about this discount on these shocks. Even with my 15% discount from the dealer where I bought the Pioneer at, it would have cost me $1,568 plus another big chunk to ship them to me or a 200 mile round trip to pick them up - so probably an easy $1620-ish or more at minimum.

Shout out to @TripleB and @Remington. Thanks!
Send a set my way while you're at it

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!