P500 Front CV boot replacements needed. Any recomendations for parts?

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I need to replace both front outside boots, I have the drivers side out now and it's a but thumpy and grabby. Is that normal or should I just buy an upgraded front drivers side axle?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I need to replace both front outside boots, I have the drivers side out now and it's a but thumpy and grabby. Is that normal or should I just buy an upgraded front drivers side axle?
That's a good question for Jak, or maybe another member. How'd your front boots fail, do you know. How many miles on your P5??

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
That's a good question for Jak, or maybe another member. How'd your front boots fail, do you know. How many miles on your P5??
I am under 200 miles...abusive mud holes with hidden sticks must have killed them I guess. I am trying to see if I can take the outer CV apart to get a new boot on without needing to take off the inner boot first. Some brands of CV come apart with a dead blow hammer...some may have snap rings. But, I have it out and clean and see no snap ring.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Found a good thread on the 700 and how it comes apart, I am going on an assumption they work the same way. But, you know what happens when you assume.

Yup, this works on the 500 also.

P700 - CV repair and boot replacement.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I am under 200 miles...abusive mud holes with hidden sticks must have killed them I guess. I am trying to see if I can take the outer CV apart to get a new boot on without needing to take off the inner boot first. Some brands of CV come apart with a dead blow hammer...some may have snap rings. But, I have it out and clean and see no snap ring.
Sounds like you need some stick stoppers. ;)

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah, that's what I am thinking. Do they really help?
They're fantastically over priced for what they are and the amount of protection they provide. Will they help, sure. And I recommend you use them, but, once they're on, you'll see what I mean, and how many avenues that sticks have around them to still damage your CV boots, break lines, etc. we still have to use caution. Some guys don't care for that though, they want to ride, hard, fast and abusive. But that's usually done with full knowledge of the potential consequences and it's usually guys that are readily mechanically inclined and don't care. A broken CV would land my P5 in the shop.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
They're fantastically over priced for what they are and the amount of protection they provide. Will they help, sure. And I recommend you use them, but, once they're on, you'll see what I mean, and how many avenues that sticks have around them to still damage your CV boots, break lines, etc. we still have to use caution. Some guys don't care for that though, they want to ride, hard, fast and abusive. But that's usually done with full knowledge of the potential consequences and it's usually guys that are readily mechanically inclined and don't care. A broken CV would land my P5 in the shop.
Yeah, mine too. That's why I went for the stick stoppers.
Also when I bought mine, the dude at the dealer said that if you bend one of those drive shaft/axles it's $400.

Last edited:
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah, mine too. That's why I went for the stick stoppers.
Also when I bought mine, the dude at the dealer said that if you bend one of those drive shaft/spindles it's $400.
Right. Thankfully I got mine at half price. But, I can see all the ways sticks can still get to the vital organs.

Last edited:
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice, and a very good price. Cheaper than I paid for a used set.

When you asked me about skid plate in pm, I emailed you options for the skid plate and also for CV boot guards by alum products. Not sure if you were debating made from uhmw plastic vs aluminum.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Went into garage after work today, while taking measurement for front fenders, I found small grease leak on front inner cv boot, wiped it off and found small needle like puncture. Will be changing it this weekend.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
When you asked me about skid plate in pm, I emailed you options for the skid plate and also for CV boot guards by alum products. Not sure if you were debating made from uhmw plastic vs aluminum.
Yes you did, I'm not wanting uhmw but aluminum, and the set I got for half price from Alan were barely used. They may also be heavier duty than what pFive found on eBay.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I prefer the UHMW, but the price was just ridiculous considering the A arms can move and reduce the load on them unlike the main skid, that and I can weld more material on them if I need to tweak the fit.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!