P500 Fuel mileage (Again!)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3748
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3748

15 mpg is pretty much the way it is with the P500 when you're riding hard. Our last 4 or 5 rides we've been riding with bigger machines with a ~30 mph pace. They just ride regular but we have to run these P5s pretty hard to maintain that pace... Anything over 60 miles and I need to stop for gas.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
15 mpg is pretty much the way it is with the P500 when you're riding hard. Our last 4 or 5 rides we've been riding with bigger machines with a ~30 mph pace. They just ride regular but we have to run these P5s pretty hard to maintain that pace... Anything over 60 miles and I need to stop for gas.
Went on a 3 day 200 mile ride last month with 3 can am commanders,2 rzr 900s and 4 ATV's with a minimum of 800 cc's,I know exactly where you are coming from!! Although when we stop for gas we all used about the same amount, but the gas tank on the 500 is 1/2 the size of everyone else, that's why I always carry an extra gallon with me,

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I must be lucky or something . I ride from WOT to rock crawling , this past Friday we did 100 miles of which 15 was scary (oh s*** I'm tipping over) and the rest was 30mph plus . Went 80 miles then stopped to add fuel as I didn't refill from the last 30 mile ride so i was showing 110 miles on the tank I was on . Every check so far I have been 110 mile plus :)

D

Deleted member 3748

I must be lucky or something . I ride from WOT to rock crawling , this past Friday we did 100 miles of which 15 was scary (oh s*** I'm tipping over) and the rest was 30mph plus . Went 80 miles then stopped to add fuel as I didn't refill from the last 30 mile ride so i was showing 110 miles on the tank I was on . Every check so far I have been 110 mile plus :)
The terrain may play a part too. It's been a lot of sand that is hard to get through. It's a real treat if I can shift into 5th without slowing down. When it's just me and the wife trail riding I can get 100 miles out of a tank.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Sounds like it was a race again?

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Trail riding....I get 100+ miles...per tank
mountain riding....up/ down... never s***ting
..out of 2nd......56 miles.
High...rpm..in a lower gear...
P5....a guzzler..

D

Deleted member 3748

Cat Sticker funny hungry CAT Auto fuel tank cap decor sticker1

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Honestly I don't take the p5 when the ride is going to be mostly sand washes . That's Rzr time .
Almost all the rest is PIONEER TIME .

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
The only time I'll get below 100 miles on a tank is when I'm running in 4-wheel drive a lot. I've easily ran 50 of the 100+ miles doing 35-40 and the rest was hill climbing and going through mud and snow.

Maybe my difference is I still have the stock tires on. How much weight is everyone carrying on the back, could that be a factor?

idcwby

Reactions: RevelDogs
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
The only time I'll get below 100 miles on a tank is when I'm running in 4-wheel drive a lot. I've easily ran 50 of the 100+ miles doing 35-40 and the rest was hill climbing and going through mud and snow.

Maybe my difference is I still have the stock tires on. How much weight is everyone carrying on the back, could that be a factor?

idcwby
I have bigger tires and I get over 100 miles 99% of the time . I only have a a lil weight on the back , i.e. under 75lbs.

Reactions: SouthwestORV
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I have bigger tires and I get over 100 miles 99% of the time . I only have a a lil weight on the back , i.e. under 75lbs.
My first tank was about 20 mpg. Yo, you live in AZ? Which part? I'm in AZ too - White Mountains. And, you said you have bigger tires now?

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
My first tank was about 20 mpg. Yo, you live in AZ? Which part? I'm in AZ too - White Mountains. And, you said you have bigger tires now?
Prescott . Yes on the tires , a little taller and a little wider (don't remember exact #s) but changing the tire sizes did not noticeably effect the MPG .

Reactions: SouthwestORV
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Prescott . Yes on the tires , a little taller and a little wider (don't remember exact #s) but changing the tire sizes did not noticeably effect the MPG .
Any good rides over there near Prescott? I could join up with you sometime.

Reactions: DG Rider
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Any good rides over there near Prescott? I could join up with you sometime.
We have 100s of miles of trails but do to my wifes health issues I cannot plan a ride . I only know I can go when I leave .
We have a group of old guys that try to do a 50-100 mile ride every Tuesday but IMO it wouldnt be worth the drive from there to here .
Would be 6-7 hrs of driving round trip for you to ride for 4-7 hrs . Most of the rides are around 60 miles .

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
We have 100s of miles of trails but do to my wifes health issues I cannot plan a ride . I only know I can go when I leave .
We have a group of old guys that try to do a 50-100 mile ride every Tuesday but IMO it wouldnt be worth the drive from there to here .
Would be 6-7 hrs of driving round trip for you to ride for 4-7 hrs . Most of the rides are around 60 miles .
Do you know @hondabob? He keeps saying he rides with a bunch of old guys.

I loved heading back on Senator hwy towards Crown King or Wagoner. Also loved the area north of Perkinsville.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Do you know @hondabob? He keeps saying he rides with a bunch of old guys.

I loved heading back on Senator hwy towards Crown King or Wagoner. Also loved the area north of Perkinsville.
Bob is a good friend of mine . We have been friends for 15-20 yrs . He is riding 100 mile rides everyday for a week down around Congress/Wickenburg area on his Yamaha yxz . He does go on or lead the Tuesday rides but not often because he likes to go FAST .
We ride everywhere from Williams to Lake Pleasant and almost everywhere in between .
We tend to move with the temperature except Bob and a few others of us like to do snow rides on our quads or sxs s . Bob did sell his quad this year and his Pioneer 500 and his 700 but he still has 3 sxs and we are both anxiously awaiting the TALON .

Last edited:
Reactions: DG Rider

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!