P1000 FYI, Honda responce to heat problem

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hope they don't ignore the problem with hot air coming through the shift lever holes. With 95 degree temps it is like sitting in front of a hair dryer.

Bubba

Bubba

Lifetime Member
May 5, 2016
Belle Chasse La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been waiting to see what was going to happen before I called, but finally did. I think it would be best if everyone call Honda , my dealer didn't know anything about it, called him first.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hope they don't ignore the problem with hot air coming through the shift lever holes. With 95 degree temps it is like sitting in front of a hair dryer.
do you have the enclosed cab? I'm trying to understand the heat coming from the dash because I've never really noticed it. If I hold my hand up there, I can slightly feel it, but nothing like some others seem to be experiencing. I have the 2 piece windshield, Honda roof, and full skids, but no other cab enclosures...

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
do you have the enclosed cab? I'm trying to understand the heat coming from the dash because I've never really noticed it. If I hold my hand up there, I can slightly feel it, but nothing like some others seem to be experiencing. I have the 2 piece windshield and full skids, but no other cab enclosures...
I definitely notice heat coming from there every once in awhile it's pretty warm but mainly during the slower technical stuff on hot day where you know the fan is on heavy. But it's not super hot

Reactions: PioneerPete
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I definitely notice heat coming from there every once in awhile it's pretty warm but mainly during the slower technical stuff on hot day where you know the fan is on heavy. But it's not super hot
CP what enclosures do you have? windshield and roof only?

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Glass w/s, hard roof, hard mid panel - I notice it - especially after stopping on the trail. very distracting to have hot air blow in your face.

Took w/s off - don't notice.

Reactions: PioneerPete
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glass w/s, hard roof, hard mid panel - I notice it - especially after stopping on the trail. very distracting to have hot air blow in your face.

Took w/s off - don't notice.
that's kinda what I was figuring... I probably don't notice because I usually have my upper windshield propped open and get a nice breeze through there.

advertisement
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
do you have the enclosed cab? I'm trying to understand the heat coming from the dash because I've never really noticed it. If I hold my hand up there, I can slightly feel it, but nothing like some others seem to be experiencing. I have the 2 piece windshield, Honda roof, and full skids, but no other cab enclosures...
I do not have a windshield mounted. The only thing I have mounted is the hard roof. The heat comes out worse at slow speeds. Also day time temps here are running 95-97 degrees.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Quick update on mine: still don't have it back. Yesterday was two weeks. I have a day trip planned for next Tuesday so they better hurry up. How long could it possibly take to install this thing?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Quick update on mine: still don't have it back. Yesterday was two weeks. I have a day trip planned for next Tuesday so they better hurry up. How long could it possibly take to install this thing?
That sucks really bad! Keep calling and make yourself a pain. Keep in mind there are a lot of Polaris recalls in front of you.

R

RJB

Mar 31, 2016
Durango, Colorado
I agree with Jbird. The heat coming through the gearshift is ridiculous considering a well designed boot from the factory would have cut 99 % of it and probably only added $5 cost to the machine. Sometimes I wonder how much they actually rode this thing during the design phase. Most of the heat problems could have been so easily dealt with by Honda. It gets real hot like a blow dryer after about 15 minutes of riding. In cold weather you get a blast of cold air too. This fall after hunting season I will take the dash off and construct my own shield. Probably out of some shower pan liner (the product that's underneath the tile in a shower floor to keep it waterproof)

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with Jbird. The heat coming through the gearshift is ridiculous considering a well designed boot from the factory would have cut 99 % of it and probably only added $5 cost to the machine. Sometimes I wonder how much they actually rode this thing during the design phase. Most of the heat problems could have been so easily dealt with by Honda. It gets real hot like a blow dryer after about 15 minutes of riding. In cold weather you get a blast of cold air too. This fall after hunting season I will take the dash off and construct my own shield. Probably out of some shower pan liner (the product that's underneath the tile in a shower floor to keep it waterproof)
My wife was sitting in our P1K5 and asked if it was not customary to put a rubber panel with a slit in it for the levers to run through. I told her she may have a future as a Honda Engineer because she obviously has more common sense than they had.

Last edited:
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm like you I never feel much heat coming through the shifter. There is some type of rubber like what is exactly under the seat stopping most of the flow, and I've had my engine running for 2 hrs or so at a time.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm like you I never feel much heat coming through the shifter. There is some type of rubber like what is exactly under the seat stopping most of the flow, and I've had my engine running for 2 hrs or so at a time.
I wonder if that rubber flap isn't all the way in correctly in some people's rigs. Seems to be either not too bad or really bad.

Reactions: joeymt33
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if that rubber flap isn't all the way in correctly in some people's rigs. Seems to be either not too bad or really bad.
I've noticed that the rubber flap can sometimes work it's way down the shifter, witch will let more hot air in. On a side note, it's kinda weird talking about something that seems seasonal, the heat will be great in the winter. While I usually do most of my riding in the fall, winter and early spring, I just accept that it's hot in the summertime no matter what!

advertisement