P1000 FYI, Honda responce to heat problem

S

Shifty

Aug 1, 2016
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The problem seems worse with the Honda though. I dont hear of any other folks daying it's nearly too hot to ride.
I believe the problem is more intolerable on the Honda 1000-5 configuration because of the rear seats/passengers. The 3 passenger versions don't seem to have as many complaints. I think we're zeroing in on the best solution possible at this time with the insulation and blower/blowers. Time will tell, more creativeness with relays etc will keep us all updating.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My setup is temporary just for testing. I will remount the sensor and make a bracket for the blower fan. So far it cuts on and off while at idle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Were not putting in factory items here that's not a luxury we have. Sometimes things have to be tested just like you're doing until it's perfect. It's fun sometimes but frustrating others but in the end you get what you need and if it's posted it gives others an easier route or something that's buildable. That's the beauty here!

ErikHonda4Life

ErikHonda4Life

Jun 6, 2015
I would like to thank everyone for comments on this heat issue, I just ordered (2) SEAFLO 4" In-Line Marine Bilge Air Blower 12V 270 CFM Quiet Boat White for under seat heat issues, I will also have the "factory fix" done as well.. and now that I am thinking of it I might order one more and some duct work for some driver and passenger air flow in cab. I can post pics but I'm sure it will look just like what you guys have already posted!!!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would like to thank everyone for comments on this heat issue, I just ordered (2) SEAFLO 4" In-Line Marine Bilge Air Blower 12V 270 CFM Quiet Boat White for under seat heat issues, I will also have the "factory fix" done as well.. and now that I am thinking of it I might order one more and some duct work for some driver and passenger air flow in cab. I can post pics but I'm sure it will look just like what you guys have already posted!!!
Post pics anyways. You may find something that we missed.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I thought the "factory fix" was not available anymore as it didn't work. Am I out of the loop or is it still available?

J

jimmyadair

Nov 8, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dan, I did call Honda and was not prepared for the help the representative gave. He more or less told me that Honda spent many hours testing this machine in ALL climates and ALL conditions and their engineers and test riders did NOT find any excessive or abnormal heat problems. He took my number and said my dealer would contact me if any approved solution was reached. He was aware of all the quote "backyard mechanics" on the forum but could not or would recommend wiring a bilge blower in place. He told me I was probably wearing the wrong type of clothing for the conditions. I guess blue jeans and tee shirt and helmet incorrect for 90+. I suggested maybe they should test them in ways that the average farmer uses one of these things. Oh well, I still believe when you spend the money for the best there is you shouldn't have to wire a boat bilge blower on a UTV to fix it. My wife has a 2014 Honda Pilot if my dealer suggested a repair like that on her car I'd get rid of it. And lastly I am NOT imagining the high temperature, my grandson thinks he's being punished to have to ride in the middle on the front seat. He says its like being in a barbecue! It is now referred to as our Hondacue.
I just got off the phone with Honda myself and they told me the same exact thing. He advised that he has not got any complaints this time of year concerning heat due to it being cooler outside. I live in Florida and sure it cooler today but tomorrow will be a whole different story. He also asked if I had a roof (which I don't) and explained that it would also cause the heat in the cab. I understand everyone modifying their machines but based on the money I spent a month and half ago I don't feel comfortable doing it myself or if that would cause to void the warranty.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just got off the phone with Honda myself and they told me the same exact thing. He advised that he has not got any complaints this time of year concerning heat due to it being cooler outside. I live in Florida and sure it cooler today but tomorrow will be a whole different story. He also asked if I had a roof (which I don't) and explained that it would also cause the heat in the cab. I understand everyone modifying their machines but based on the money I spent a month and half ago I don't feel comfortable doing it myself or if that would cause to void the warranty.

You don't have to do any kind of real modification if you use the fan.

Just get this:

Amazon.com : Rule 240 In-Line Blower, High Air Flow, 4 inch Diameter, 12 volts DC, White : Boating Bilge Pumps : Sports & Outdoors

and this:

Amazon.com: 12V 24V Male Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Plug Connector On Off Switch 3m: Automotive

And then get something to mount it to the crossbar under the seat from Lowes or Hope Depot or something. You could probably bring it in and show them a picture of what you are mounting it to and they could help you find something to hang it with. You can just unplug it and take it off if you don't need it. It is already fused and it has an on/off switch built in.

The only thing you will need to do is strip some insulation off the ends of the plug wires, splice them into the wires on the fan and wrap them with some electrical tape. Just leave the cable in the floor and put some duct tape or something on it to keep people from stepping on it.

However, I agree, for what you paid for it, you really shouldn't have to.

Although, some of the other machines out there are a lot worse and can't be as easily fixed.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: CumminsPusher
ErikHonda4Life

ErikHonda4Life

Jun 6, 2015
Ok everyone, called Honda today and the "Fix" for heat issues was an evaluation and they are not sending out any more "Fixes" and no recall or service bulletins are in the works as of this afternoon when I talked with them. SO I will stick with my dyno mat under the seat and wire up my two fans when they come in... This might be a good thing, got to thinking about it if I plumb it right when it is cold I will just flip the fan around and blow hot air into the cab... then flip it back around in the summer...

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok everyone, called Honda today and the "Fix" for heat issues was an evaluation and they are not sending out any more "Fixes" and no recall or service bulletins are in the works as of this afternoon when I talked with them. SO I will stick with my dyno mat under the seat and wire up my two fans when they come in... This might be a good thing, got to thinking about it if I plumb it right when it is cold I will just flip the fan around and blow hot air into the cab... then flip it back around in the summer...
You could also wire it do that without having to manually flip it. DPDT switch should work, but I'd need to draw it before I knew for sure.

advertisement
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could also wire it do that without having to manually flip it. DPDT switch should work, but I'd need to draw it before I knew for sure.
Actually, a SPDT switch should work.

Reactions: cschomber63
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
The fans will run backwards but not as much airflow due to the blades spinning in reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ErikHonda4Life
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Mounted mine last night.

IMG 20161229 214729492

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Rem

Remind me and I'll bring some angles for u.

Thanks. I think your fan set up is even closer to the header so it probably works better. Unless it's so close that it melt the plastic housing. I guess we'll find out this summer.

I'll still move it closer though. We had to use our fan riding today even though it was in the mid 40s. My 5 year old was complaining about being hot. I even removed my jacket and gloves.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Thanks. I think your fan set up is even closer to the header so it probably works better. Unless it's so close that it melt the plastic housing. I guess we'll find out this summer.

I'll still move it closer though. We had to use our fan riding today even though it was in the mid 40s. My 5 year old was complaining about being hot. I even removed my jacket and gloves.
It might melt. I'll find out soon. I've got longer angles if needed;)

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Like the mount! The fan works great. My mount also blocks access. I will be curious about melting issues.

Reactions: GlockMeister
advertisement