P1000 FYI, Honda responce to heat problem

O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
Yep, total joke waiting for honda, they don't care. Life goes on,piss on honda for being non responsive low life. This is my latest opinion!

Reactions: AZhunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yep, total joke waiting for honda, they don't care. Life goes on,piss on honda for being non responsive low life. This is my latest opinion!
I wouldn't take it to that extreme.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think a lot of you would be impressed with the additional radiator air deflector from the 17 models. I agree the under seat heat sucks but with a heat shield it is a lot better and the dash heat becomes the bigger issue.

This radiator deflector stops almost all the hot air through the dash. The parts are #12 19071-HL4-F00 PLATE, AIR GUIDE and #13 19072-HL4-F00 RUBBER, AIR GUIDE. The parts are about $12 and take less than 2 hours to install
Fb img 1501032696301 jpg

You can read about the install here.
P1000 - 2017 Radiator Air Deflector

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I think a lot of you would be impressed with the additional radiator air deflector from the 17 models. I agree the under seat heat sucks but with a heat shield it is a lot better and the dash heat becomes the bigger issue.

This radiator deflector stops almost all the hot air through the dash. The parts are #12 19071-HL4-F00 PLATE, AIR GUIDE and #13 19072-HL4-F00 RUBBER, AIR GUIDE. The parts are about $12 and take less than 2 hours to install
View attachment 51319

You can read about the install here.
P1000 - 2017 Radiator Air Deflector
Awesome, thanks for posting that. Just as with Honda's remedy for the wheels splashing water into the intake, this factory modification designed to reduce their heat problem, should be provided to the early model customers at no charge.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome, thanks for posting that. Just as with Honda's remedy for the wheels splashing water into the intake, this factory modification designed to reduce their heat problem, should be provided to the early model customers at no charge.

I think with any vehicle platform, you get improvements over time. I'm not worried about the $25 spent on the intake change or the $12 spent on these parts because they give me piece of mind that they'll work and they were easy to make fit. I personally don't think any of the issues with the Pioneer are absolute deal breakers but these cheap add on features make it even better.

Reactions: DPort and DRAGFOOT
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I think with any vehicle platform, you get improvements over time. I'm not worried about the $25 spent on the intake change or the $12 spent on these parts because they give me piece of mind that they'll work and they were easy to make fit. I personally don't think any of the issues with the Pioneer are absolute deal breakers but these cheap add on features make it even better.
I've seen nothing that's a deal breaker myself either, but mid stream Honda acknowledged that even when following the 10" rule, water was splashing into the intake (1000, not 700 or 500) and they had the engineers create a remedy for that. It's my opinion, and certainly not one that you have to share, that they should be sending those out to us as a matter of principle.

CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got off the phone again with another rep, first of all they called me a liar and said that no one told me to call back in 2 weeks which is not true. They also said that they don't have a date for the fix but are working on it. It looks like we are getting the run around again which doesn't sit well with me. I asked should I get a lawyer involved and he said to do what we got to do. My suggestion is for everyone on this forum to constantly call and be a thorn in their side until it is resolved.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just got off the phone again with another rep, first of all they called me a liar and said that no one told me to call back in 2 weeks which is not true. They also said that they don't have a date for the fix but are working on it. It looks like we are getting the run around again which doesn't sit well with me. I asked should I get a lawyer involved and he said to do what we got to do. My suggestion is for everyone on this forum to constantly call and be a thorn in their side until it is resolved.
Unless you have suffered personal injury from the engine heat, I doubt that an attorney will do you any good. And threatening that probably killed your ability to talk to them any further. Yes, Honda should fix this design problem, and apparently, in perhaps a small way, they have addressed it on the 2017. I think us 16' model owners are stuck with self remedies for the heat. ;)

L

Longshot

Aug 20, 2017
Northern WI
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi guys,

New member here just wanted to thank you all for the info in thread. I also called Honda this week on I believe Aug 15 to voice my complaint with my new '16 3 seat. Got the same questions you guys did about riding conditions, clothing, and accessories.

I have tried a few other things to alleviate the center seat heat. I have the Honda roof and 2 piece windshield and have tried opening it, removing the top portion, and removing the bottom portion all separately. Removing the bottom portion gives the best result by far. But I mostly trail ride @ 40+ mph.

I am no engineer but it seems that the windshield is causing a low pressure or "draft" zone similar to the back of a semi and actually sucking air from the engine area in. So as stated by someone earlier I wonder if a "ram air" type duct would work if it could repressurise the area.

Sorry for the long post just thinking out loud but something I plan to try if I can find the time.

Again thanks for all the great info hopefully Honda does do right by us.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Hi guys,

New member here just wanted to thank you all for the info in thread. I also called Honda this week on I believe Aug 15 to voice my complaint with my new '16 3 seat. Got the same questions you guys did about riding conditions, clothing, and accessories.

I have tried a few other things to alleviate the center seat heat. I have the Honda roof and 2 piece windshield and have tried opening it, removing the top portion, and removing the bottom portion all separately. Removing the bottom portion gives the best result by far. But I mostly trail ride @ 40+ mph.

I am no engineer but it seems that the windshield is causing a low pressure or "draft" zone similar to the back of a semi and actually sucking air from the engine area in. So as stated by someone earlier I wonder if a "ram air" type duct would work if it could repressurise the area.

Sorry for the long post just thinking out loud but something I plan to try if I can find the time.

Again thanks for all the great info hopefully Honda does do right by us.
I don't have a P1000- I have a P500, and when I put the windshield on, it did the exact same thing- cause a negative pressure in the cab, sucking in heat and dust- severe dust.
I took all the enclosure stuff off, and I wear the gear now.
As far as the heat cooking the middle seat on the 1000's- Honda needs to fix the damn problem. Unfortunately Honda is a huge company, and although I'm fairly confident that they will make it right, they take forever to react to anything, unless it's life threatening.
I work for a Honda Marine dealer, and have seen them literally take years to address a known problem, but in the end it gets taken care of, even to the point of reimbursing money customers spent when they fixed it on their own.
Always seems like too little too late....

Reactions: Smitty335
jj88

jj88

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
I'm going to offer up a different perspective. The heat issue for most has kind of been a blessing for us. 95% of our riding is above 10000 ft in the Colorado Rockies, and the heat issue has been kind of a nice problem to have, because many rides, even during hottest days in July or August, are at or below 50 degrees up there, we've been in snow many times in July or August, or very cold rain. I didn't have to add a aftermarket heater! I do put the heat insulation under the seat, when we are at lower altitudes, and yes it can at times get a bit warm, but that's usually my signal to stop, get out, have a beverage, take a break, eat a sandwich, whatever, and let it sit for a bit. Many times however, I have taken the insulation out, for the heat. I know that helps no one in the warmer regions, and I hope Honda can come up with a remedy for you sooner rather than later. But, for us, its been kind of a nice "option" to have.

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm going to offer up a different perspective. The heat issue for most has kind of been a blessing for us. 95% of our riding is above 10000 ft in the Colorado Rockies, and the heat issue has been kind of a nice problem to have, because many rides, even during hottest days in July or August, are at or below 50 degrees up there, we've been in snow many times in July or August, or very cold rain. I didn't have to add a aftermarket heater! I do put the heat insulation under the seat, when we are at lower altitudes, and yes it can at times get a bit warm, but that's usually my signal to stop, get out, have a beverage, take a break, eat a sandwich, whatever, and let it sit for a bit. Many times however, I have taken the insulation out, for the heat. I know that helps no one in the warmer regions, and I hope Honda can come up with a remedy for you sooner rather than later. But, for us, its been kind of a nice "option" to have.
It's great in the winter here , summer not so good.

Reactions: jj88
L

Longshot

Aug 20, 2017
Northern WI
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well I just got a call from my dealer and they told me Honda is sending them a "heat reduction kit" to be installed at no cost. He had never seen or heard anything about this so couldn't tell me anything about what it included or how long to install. I will update everyone with pics as soon as the kit is in.

Here's to hoping it's a legitimate fix and not just a bandaid!!!

L

Longshot

Aug 20, 2017
Northern WI
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well I just got a call from my dealer and they told me Honda is sending them a "heat reduction kit" to be installed at no cost. He had never seen or heard anything about this so couldn't tell me anything about what it included or how long to install. I will update everyone with pics as soon as the kit is in.

Here's to hoping it's a legitimate fix and not just a bandaid!!!

Forgot to mention I had called Honda on July 21st and August 15th and got no response from them. I called my dealer Aug 31st they said they didn't see a case from Honda so submitted one and here we are 1 day later and parts are on the way. I guess my point is as someone had mentioned before contact BOTH your dealer and Honda and make some noise.

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also remember - you have full doors and Rangers don't - take them off and report back
I took my doors off the minute I took mine home from the dealer. Literally never rode it with the doors on and trust me...the heat is definitely real. I can't imagine it being any worse with doors on! Good Lawd!!!! And yes, I have a Ranger. There is absolutely no heat that I've ever noticed coming from the seat or dash.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I took my doors off the minute I took mine home from the dealer. Literally never rode it with the doors on and trust me...the heat is definitely real. I can't imagine it being any worse with doors on! Good Lawd!!!! And yes, I have a Ranger. There is absolutely no heat that I've ever noticed coming from the seat or dash.
Unless it's on fire :)

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just called my local dealer, they said as soon as I get the letter I can call and schedule an appointment to have it installed. Do I need to file a complaint in order to have the letter sent to me, or does every p1k owner get one?

L

Longshot

Aug 20, 2017
Northern WI
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just called my local dealer, they said as soon as I get the letter I can call and schedule an appointment to have it installed. Do I need to file a complaint in order to have the letter sent to me, or does every p1k owner get one?

I have read in another thread that it will be a service bulliten and only repaired if it is a complaint. So I wouldn't expect a letter unless you have a complaint on file.

I can't vouch for the credibility of where I read that cause I don't remember but it sure can't hurt to have a case file open.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!