P1000 Gas Choises

L

Lefty

Feb 14, 2016
Idaho
First off, I'd like to say that I'm glad to have found all you guys!! Just purchased a white deluxe and love it!!
Anyway, was just wondering what you all run as far as gas is concerned? I know the manual states 86 octane and above but do you guys run higher octane? And also, ethanol or non ethanol?

Thanks!!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
First off, I'd like to say that I'm glad to have found all you guys!! Just purchased a white deluxe and love it!!
Anyway, was just wondering what you all run as far as gas is concerned? I know the manual states 86 octane and above but do you guys run higher octane? And also, ethanol or non ethanol?

Thanks!!
Welcome to the club @Lefty,
And congratulations on your sweet white Pioneer Deluxe! I love how the white looks but mine would just be brown all the time.
Anyways back to your questions.
I do run higher octane and non-E when I can find it. Thre is nowhere close by that has it. When I am out and about and my pocket is full of greenbacks I choose non-E, otherwise I run 93.

Can I tell a difference? No sure, always ran high O or non-E.
Thanks.

Kingmudd

Kingmudd

Nov 22, 2015

Thanks!!
I run 91 non oxygenated fuel in all my Hondas. I always try to run fresh fuel as the octane decreases rather quickly and there's local stations that carry it at a good price.

Kenjones21

Kenjones21

Jun 23, 2015
Central Louisiana
nothing but non ethanol in my toys and my power equipment.. mowers,etc.. I saw first hand what ethanol will do to carburetor on my son's Honda 90 that sat for about 6-8 months, it was so bad never could get it to run right until I replaced the carb.

Deltamud

Deltamud

Lifetime Member
Dec 3, 2015
Florence, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run mostly aviation fuel. Local small airport does fuel swaps on planes stored every other Wednesday. Aviation fuel is high octane and does not go bad like non-eth. I've used this in all my ATV's and never had any issues. I have left in my ATV's unused for 6-8 months no problems. The cost is about the same as premium grade.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
91 in USA, or 94 when I go to Calgary, AB, I buy extra

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
It sucks here, everything we have at the pumps has ethanol in it. We actually had 1200 gallons separate once, that was not good. Luckily it only screwed up one pickup before we found out.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It sucks here, everything we have at the pumps has ethanol in it. We actually had 1200 gallons separate once, that was not good. Luckily it only screwed up one pickup before we found out.
Know what you mean. All we can get around here is ethanol laced. Have to suck 80 gallons out of my jet boat. Sat all winter and mechanic thinks I might mess up my engine if I don,t replace it with fresh fuel. Sucks. Arn,t toys fun??

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Know what you mean. All we can get around here is ethanol laced. Have to suck 80 gallons out of my jet boat. Sat all winter and mechanic thinks I might mess up my engine if I don,t replace it with fresh fuel. Sucks. Arn,t toys fun??
When you get it out take a look at it. Ours you could see the difference like no other. Sucks having it forced down our throats like that. I'd at least like an option.

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement
franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When you get it out take a look at it. Ours you could see the difference like no other. Sucks having it forced down our throats like that. I'd at least like an option.
Yea really. Wouldn't,t mind paying little extra for real gas so as not to hustle with ethanol consequences!!!

Reactions: CashMoney
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I usually run non ethanol but sometimes I'm not near a station that carries it. It's not as big of a deal with fuel injected vehicles. Ethanol will destroy normal fuel lines on carb'd engines but fuel lines on fuel injected vehicles is reinforced due to higher fuel pressures and isn't as big of a concern.

Reactions: dale5740 and franzw
B

Bornlzr

Nov 13, 2015
I run mostly aviation fuel. Local small airport does fuel swaps on planes stored every other Wednesday. Aviation fuel is high octane and does not go bad like non-eth. I've used this in all my ATV's and never had any issues. I have left in my ATV's unused for 6-8 months no problems. The cost is about the same as premium grade.
Doesn't most Avgas still contain lead? With the emissions components being installed on the new UTV's wouldn't this create a potential risk of sensor failure and plugging the catalytic converters on those that have them? High octane non-oxygenated gas is by far probably the best minimum choice not only for our ATV/UTVs but all "small" engines.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know for sure that I need 1 tank with a bit of extra to get to Calgary from US side on 91 ( ~ 305 miles ) on my Honda CRV, but exactly 1 tank from my friends house in Calgary to mine in Montana on Canadian 94 . I'm true believer that fuel efficiency is better with higher octane gas. My friend in Cali told me that around 2000, I've tried when was driving from LA to Columbia, MO and since then I dont buy ("save" on regular gas 87) anything except premium for all my engines.

Reactions: franzw
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Welcome to the club @Lefty,
And congratulations on your sweet white Pioneer Deluxe! I love how the white looks but mine would just be brown all the time.
Anyways back to your questions.
I do run higher octane and non-E when I can find it. Thre is nowhere close by that has it. When I am out and about and my pocket is full of greenbacks I choose non-E, otherwise I run 93.

Can I tell a difference? No sure, always ran high O or non-E.
Thanks.
wish I could find non ethanol

Reactions: CashMoney
M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015

ONLY run non-ethanol gas...and around here that only comes in 91. So by default that is all I run. Ethanol will destroy injectors and fuel pumps and I would encourage anyone using that crap to only put in what you will use on that ride and run it close to dry if it will sit for any time.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
ONLY run non-ethanol gas...and around here that only comes in 91. So by default that is all I run. Ethanol will destroy injectors and fuel pumps and I would encourage anyone using that crap to only put in what you will use on that ride and run it close to dry if it will sit for any time.
well I guess the east coast members are screwed. I know there are some additives to use that help

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea congrats on your new toy. I found some local non ethanol gas on the Internet, need it more for my jet boat, only used during salmon fishing season here. Gas is out there, just need to google it. Good luck with your P1k. Hope you have less issues than everyone else,from stripped bolts to slipping clutches??? Haven,t had any problems with mine yet, but have only had time to drive it around block. Keeping my fingers crossed???

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I keep 55 gallons of 91 octane corn free gas at my shop. I fill it locally and bring it back home. I just pump from the drum when I need it.

I agree, for small engines I will only use ethanol free.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Im going to do just that fill a 55 gallon drum and bring it back. I wonder how far I will have to go to find i
Yea congrats on your new toy. I found some local non ethanol gas on the Internet, need it more for my jet boat, only used during salmon fishing season here. Gas is out there, just need to google it. Good luck with your P1k. Hope you have less issues than everyone else,from stripped bolts to slipping clutches??? Haven,t had any problems with mine yet, but have only had time to drive it around block. Keeping my fingers crossed???
Me 2 haven't really been out to much but getting ready to start. So I will be doing service and checking everything real close if I got stripped s*** there will be hell to pay!!!!

Reactions: franzw
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!