Talon Gauge Relocated

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
Idiot
Am I understanding you correctly that if you remove some of the tape on the harness, that I can leave stock gauges in slots they are in now?

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Idiot, I have been looking at this after NVBlu told me about a friend getting it. So I just want to confirm you don't have to relocate the switches?

I want to but a bigger gps screen in that spot if I can.
As long as you pull the tape off the harness and then you can spread the wires and you will not have to move the switches.

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
YES Exactly
If you remove the black sheathing and tape from the harness that has all the wires that go to the individual switches you will then be able to untangle and spread those wire out enough so that you will not have to remove and swap the location of the I4WD and AT/MT switches. It is worth the effort and you will be Very Happy with the new location of the gauges.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
thanks i ordered it yesterday along with the tender springs

Reactions: IDIOT
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
As long as you pull the tape off the harness and then you can spread the wires and you will not have to move the switches.
Thanks, oh forgot to ask, how much do you need to take apart? Are the instructions sufficiently clear?

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
On a separate topic, please tell me about your GPS and what maps you are using. That might be just the thing to go in the old display hole. Does it show the trails and what type of land you are on?
No that is just a Garmin unit and it just shows dirt roads and large well beatn trails, and leaves bread crumbs every where you go to find your way back out. I have a tablet mounted above my head that is loaded with Gaia map software for navigation.

Reactions: HavasuDave
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Thanks, oh forgot to ask, how much do you need to take apart? Are the instructions sufficiently clear?
You just have to remove the hood and the piece right behind the hood right where the bottom of your windshield would sit, and the rubber curtain that hides every thing.

Reactions: HavasuDave
M

Moto4

Mar 18, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Not too bad, just removing the 2 little phillips screws without dropping them that hold the gauge in its original spot.
I started my installation today. Took the hood and the piece behind the hood off. Having a hard time seeing how to get the gauge out. Got any pointers?

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I started my installation today. Took the hood and the piece behind the hood off. Having a hard time seeing how to get the gauge out. Got any pointers?
If you look up in there behind the gauge you will see a couple of small phillip screws, just remove those.

TalonMatt

TalonMatt

Jan 9, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Talon R
I helped install one on my buddy's Talon. Even at higher cost, I think they would be better to make a matching extension harness to feed the pod, instead of the rest of that monkey business.
D114BC08 537E 44E3 86F3 76A54FB4A027

Reactions: 1HasBeen
nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R

There are three phillips screws holding the assembly in place, one at the bottom and one on each side at the top. The top screws are a little hard to see. Get onto the top screws from below the frame bar for the right angle.

Reactions: IDIOT
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
so the wire extension is just for auxiliary plug and not the gauge right?

nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
so the wire extension is just for auxiliary plug and not the gauge right?

I never figured out what the supplied wire extension was for so I didn't use it. I also never figured out why it was required to unplug the 12v. accessory plug and switches so I didn't. I also didn't reverse the position of switches or slice the boot and use silicone sealant.

I opened the harness at the "tee" by removing the black tape and opening the sheathing almost to the gauge cluster connector. I extended the two wires going from the gauge cluster connector to the termination connector by 22" then put the sheathing back on and black taped the "tee". This allowed the wiring harness routing to remain original except for the portion going to the gauge cluster.

M

Moto4

Mar 18, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I never figured out what the supplied wire extension was for so I didn't use it. I also never figured out why it was required to unplug the 12v. accessory plug and switches so I didn't. I also didn't reverse the position of switches or slice the boot and use silicone sealant.

I opened the harness at the "tee" by removing the black tape and opening the sheathing almost to the gauge cluster connector. I extended the two wires going from the gauge cluster connector to the termination connector by 22" then put the sheathing back on and black taped the "tee". This allowed the wiring harness routing to remain original except for the portion going to the gauge cluster.
Attacked mine this weekend. A pain in the neck process. Thanks Mn6r for helping me find the screws. Since I was adding some USB & DC outlets, and mounting a GPS, I decided to un-fasten my dash and tilt it up to get better access (6 million screws & rivets). I un-taped most of the harness and used the supplied extension cable to extend the 12 volt accessory plug. After doing this I was able to route the gauge connector to the new location without swapping the switches. I wasted a lot of time figuring out how to unplug the connectors. Does anyone know if this is covered in the Honda Shop Manual? The new gauge position is so much better plus it allowed me to locate the GPS where I wanted to.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
think this mod is on my short list!

Reactions: nm6r

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!