P700 Gear swap

M

MntGoat

Apr 27, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm using the speedometer. I thought that the speed sensor wasn't located within the gearbox.

M

MntGoat

Apr 27, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
It's on the rear diff.

So I'd think it's still accurate, but I'll verify via GPS tomorrow. I will say I am very happy I did this, even my wife commented in how much quieter the motor was. Here at camp we get to ride paved roads to get to any trails. We don't use vehicles once we arrive and just run the Pioneer.

Reactions: Tflynn and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So I'd think it's still accurate, but I'll verify via GPS tomorrow. I will say I am very happy I did this, even my wife commented in how much quieter the motor was. Here at camp we get to ride paved roads to get to any trails. We don't use vehicles once we arrive and just run the Pioneer.
Yes...should be as accurate as stock.

I really feared this wouldn't work very well...but i think I've overlooked the fact that the Rincon probably has taller diff gearing as well.

M

MntGoat

Apr 27, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think the ECU is limited via speed. The guy who did the turbo who is MIA has a video on YouTube showing his rig running over 50 with this gearing but it's a year older than mine so I am wondering if there was a change.

M

MntGoat

Apr 27, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Same ECU for 2015 and 2016 so that's not it.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
You're right. That year uses a different ECU so there we go. Sounds like a 2014 ECU is in my future.
Negative.
The 2014 had no O2 sensor. 2015 up do, so there would be no inputs for O2 sensor.

Of course, you could just have a non functioning O2 and hope that everything else is the same...but thats a big risk to take for the cost of the ECU.

Reactions: MntGoat
M

MntGoat

Apr 27, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the info I forgot about that. I'm willing to order a 2014 ECU and see what happens, or if anyone wants to provide theirs for a test let me know.....

Spifyd is about half an hour from me but again, he is MIA. Sent him a message and he read it but no reply. Guess he doesn't care anymore.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the info I forgot about that. I'm willing to order a 2014 ECU and see what happens, or if anyone wants to provide theirs for a test let me know.....

Spifyd is about half an hour from me but again, he is MIA. Sent him a message and he read it but no reply. Guess he doesn't care anymore.
He probably out embarrassing 1000 owners with his lowly 700. I tagged him a few months back and he replied....so who knows.

Keep us updated!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
You could run a 2014 ecu with a dobeck tuner and afr plus so your o2 sensor is still functional.

Reactions: MntGoat
M

MntGoat

Apr 27, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Okay ran the heck out of this rig all day. I love the change in gearing. It shifts so much better and I can travel at speed and still chat. I did lose a little down low but for my use it doesnt seem to be an issue. It still climbs hills just fine. Happy I did this even though my top speed is still 44 (SAS 47 a few times today). I will say, at 44 mph I am not even close to redline and it makes it a much more enjoyable ride.

GPS shows that the speedometer is 1 mph off +/-

Overall, the change in shifting alone makes this mod worth it. Elevation today was 2-3000 ft which is my average use.

Superfan75

Superfan75

Jul 16, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 700-4
Do any of the fuel programmers override the speed limiter ? Just wondering if this could be an easy solution for you or not.

Reactions: Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I was wondering the same thing @Superfan75 there must be a way to trick the computer and get a higher top speed. I would try to email Dobeck, they have great customer support and might be able to help

Reactions: Superfan75
M

MntGoat

Apr 27, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Okay guys an update. I went off trail and headed up some timbercuts. I made it about half way in 2wd and tried 4wd and it didn't do anything better. Locked it into 4wd and floored it, nothing happened and then it slowly climbed up. This was steep off trail stuff, I had the front wheels coming off the ground. If you're doing steep climbs don't do this mod. I still am still 110% happy with it as I do a LOT of road running.

No progress on the 44 mph max yet....

Reactions: Tflynn
M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
Yeah I wish they would had went back and done something different with this tranny after the rincon didn’t do so good if it had some lower gear for mudders and rock crawling then higher gear say to at least 55 60 this bike in my opinion would be the best all around sxs I love mine I ride with jacked up big can am and Po po they out run me on speed but mud water don’t doubt little 700

Reactions: Mudwing and Tflynn

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!