P1000 Gear to carry in dry box

D

DrMike

Dec 7, 2018
Conifer, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A question to all my Honda Pioneer family. I am now the proud owner of a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 and not sure if this is a post already, but....I'm wondering what each of you carry in your dry box, or survival gear pack on your Pioneer? I carry the basics: extra rain gear, food, water, fire starter, flashlights, GPS, map and compass, space blankets, tire repair kit, air compressor, first aid kit, waterproof matches. Would like to hear some of your suggestions.
Fotolia 30869713 XS

Reactions: sharp and TimG
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A question to all my Honda Pioneer family. I am now the proud owner of a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 and not sure if this is a post already, but....I'm wondering what each of you carry in your dry box, or survival gear pack on your Pioneer? I carry the basics: extra rain gear, food, water, fire starter, flashlights, GPS, map and compass, space blankets, tire repair kit, air compressor, first aid kit, waterproof matches. Would like to hear some of your suggestions.
View attachment 109847
I think @joeymt33 had a post like this or maybe @Ragnar406 did.....or @knuckledeep

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think @joeymt33 had a post like this or maybe @Ragnar406 did.....or @knuckledeep

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yea there are a few threads, really it is trip type specific in a way. There are several of us that go "overlanding" and camp out of our Hondas a couple times a year and what you will carry on that is going to be different than say a day ride or a weekend trip where you have a central camp.

@joeymt33 has a good list posted on here somewhere, @Cuoutdoors had a thread he started where we were trying to streamline just the size of the tools needed to make trail side repairs (common)

Reactions: sharp
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Usually have

In the Door mod storage:
  • Compressor and tire plugs
  • CO2 tank and hookups
  • Recovery gear (snatch block, extra winch rope, shackles, MacGyver line)
  • Extra Bungees straps
  • 12v sprayer and collapsible bucket
  • spare tube to fit 14" rim
  • tie rod (tools to change including 1 1/4" crowsfoot)
  • space blanket
  • hammer
  • raingear
  • TP
In a Ridged tool box (Small)
  • combination wrenches
  • 30 mm socket for axle bolt
  • tire lug spine drive
  • vice grips, pliars etc
  • Sharpie
  • Extra lug nut
  • Extra lugs
  • Colby Valve stem
  • extra cotter pins
also usually have
  • a 20V impact wrench and/or lug bar
  • if riding after storms or a less traveled trail I will bring along a 20V chainsaw
  • Light - everything seems to break at night :confused:
Depending on the group sometime there are duplicates so I will not carry some stuff

IMG 478556745890015  F09EB53E 6110 414D A2F4 4A590B21B44D IMG 0426

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 109847
to be honest there is a few list of stuff to carry it it can be narrowed down on where your riding and what kind of terrain what your carry limit is if you could give us some more info and I'll be able to give you some better imput

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea there are a few threads, really it is trip type specific in a way. There are several of us that go "overlanding" and camp out of our Hondas a couple times a year and what you will carry on that is going to be different than say a day ride or a weekend trip where you have a central camp.

Overlanding thread
I would be interested in a thread started about this. Mainly pics of what you have and where, how many days, how much gas, etc. Logistics of this for several days could get tricky. We’re trying to plan a trip and decide if we base camp or overland. A thread or guidance to location of information I’m looking for. Thanks!
@Couch

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
P1000 - Real Tools Required this should link to a real tools needed thread as far as gas on our 3 day trip I'll bring 5 gallons of extra gas but we also have access to gas stations, bring water and some sort of pumping case you overheat. where are you thinking of overlanding

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
P1000 - Real Tools Required this should link to a real tools needed thread as far as gas on our 3 day trip I'll bring 5 gallons of extra gas but we also have access to gas stations, bring water and some sort of pumping case you overheat. where are you thinking of overlanding
Southern/Central Utah. San Rafael Swell. Or depending on trip date and snow pack Arapeen Trail system or Paiute Trail system. Still hammering out the details. There’s a few of us... We all know how that is trying to plan a trip... Gas would be accessible but not convenient. So it would be a “true” overlander trip or setup a base camp. I like both ideas..

Reactions: Ragnar406
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
if it was me and this was our first trip as such I would base camp carrying water and fuel food and tools in that kind of terrain would add a bunch of weight. after a trip of base camping then you should know what you need and what you like to carry with you

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if it was me and this was our first trip as such I would base camp carrying water and fuel food and tools in that kind of terrain would add a bunch of weight. after a trip of base camping then you should know what you need and what you like to carry with you
This, or you guys could do a couple overnighters “shakedown” runs, I have learned a lot of each of the trips I have gone on. The 2nd trip was treated with a backpacking mindset and really started considering weight. One challenge on the first and still for some part on the 2nd trip is redundancy of equipment - we all love to use our own equipment so trying to divide up who takes what among the group worked ok but I bet we all still could have cut some items out.

Reactions: knuckledeep

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!