GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Made these last week using 2812 LEDS 144/meter. They draw some juice though, I had to use a 12v-30amp 5v transformer and @5v they draw 28amps and are BRIGHT. I did not seal my first set well enough and they got water inside the clear heatshrink.

Do you have the materials linked in the description..i have watched several DIY vids and it seems simple enough

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Made these last week using 2812 LEDS 144/meter. They draw some juice though, I had to use a 12v-30amp 5v transformer and @5v they draw 28amps and are BRIGHT. I did not seal my first set well enough and they got water inside the clear heatshrink.

those look awesome. I agree id like to see what parts were used. Wouldn't mind trying to build some.

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you have the materials linked in the description..i have watched several DIY vids and it seems simple enough
those look awesome. I agree id like to see what parts were used. Wouldn't mind trying to build some.

½" gray PVC with black heat shrink over it, the LEDs (NOTE these are 5v ONLY) on that, then Clear Heatshrink over that, with heat shrink caps on the upper end.
Used a flag for my originals so I just stuck that inside the PVC and JB welded the lower end, if I could have found some smaller PVC I would have used that but it was $2 for a 10'stick. Some people are using are using CB antennas as they already have an end with threaded mount, make sure they are at least ½" OD to be able to put 3 strips on it and you will have to find a heat shrink the right diameter, but its all over amazon.
Tusk Flag mounts mounted on some weldable clamps. that I had left over from another project, there are a lot of flag mounts out there find one that fits where you want to put it.
12-5v 30amp Voltage converter, and some knockoff weatherpack connectors, 12ga wire and a wifi LED controller that I sealed in epoxy so it was waterproof.

I found the LEDs did NOT like to be bent around a tight curve so I mounted them flat on the PVC and connected the three ends at the bottom of the stick, I could have made them twisted but with that diameter stick it would have taken 5-6 strings and that was going to draw too much and be too bright. when its a primary color it only draws about 10amps as its only powering ONE of the color chips on each LED, a 2color blend say Orange or Purple is about 20amps if the WHOLE whip is solidly lit, if its white fully lit its right at 28mps. in patterns it can be close to nothing to any mix but I usually leave it on a pattern so its around a 10amp draw at 5v or about 3-4amps on 12v side. Its PLENTY bright and I can turn it down in the app, I use it when Im parked on side of road picking up trash cans or getting the mail since its getting to be dark around that time now.
Links in above, hope that helps. ended up I could have had a pair if i was careful for @$100-130, there were different options for parts out there but they all were slow boats from china not prime.

EDIT: Took me all of 45mins to make both, I dabbed a drop of superglue about every 6" to hold the LED to the stick until I could get it through the Clear heat shrink.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bb15cccd2dfa90bac30b6b8975a5d978

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Following @riverratcadillac at last years takeover showed me their true value. Helps show terrain up ahead by watching whips of rig in front of you. Hey, i thought aftermarket shocks were waste of money too lol
Lot less money for whips! Ol @drfubar will get those eventually too once he’s bored of flipping us all s***.

Last edited:
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lot less money for whips! Ol @drfubar will get those eventually too once he’s bored of flipping us all s***.
If I were going to go over to the gay side I'd have done it a couple years ago. Anyway the "curse of Mary's Ridge" is still in effect and if tried to install them they wouldn't work anyway. You and @Eltobgi remember the curse don't you?o_O

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If I were going to go over to the gay side I'd have done it a couple years ago. Anyway the "curse of Mary's Ridge" is still in effect and if tried to install them they wouldn't work anyway. You and @Eltobgi remember the curse don't you?o_O
Oh ya, got Mark too that weekend it was a three fer lol. Mine will now only be at roof height because of the MR Curse!

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@drfubar what color would you like I'm sure there would be a donation to get you a set lol

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk
For DrF I’d chip in!
You'd be wasting your money. Buying them would be the easy part, getting them installed whilst ducking bullets would be the real challenge for the group.:rolleyes:;)

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I remember well, lol! What I like about my XKGLOW’s is when you first turn them on they are white and have a trigger wire that when applying the brakes turns them red. Release the brake and they change back to white light!

Click here to acquire non-gay Lighted Safety Whips...
XKGLOW Xkchrome iOS Android App Bluetooth Smartphone Control 2x LED whip light for ATV UTV 4x4 Offroad Campatible with Android iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Lmfao! Nice one @Smitty335 :)

I couldn’t help but picture The Donfather tearing up Mary’s Ridge solo with whips illuminating everything:cool:
That's the thought I had, before posting it! HA! And him thinking those f*(^%#@$ will never know. HA!

Reactions: Eltobgi and BWAF

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!