P1000 Ham Radio / Comms Installation

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at mounting a APRS dual-band radio into the Pioneer 1000-5. I have a FTM-400 in my truck and really like it, but I'm having trouble finding a mobile unit with a IP67/67 or any type of IP rating for dust & moisture. Generally speaking, after a week of tooling around, everything in/on the SxS is caked in a thick layer of fine dust - I really don't wanna fry a radio.

Wondering what some of ya'll who have gone this route, have done for mounting a radio in a safe location. I plan on keeping a short antenna on most of the time, with a larger whip tucked away somewhere that I can swap out when I'm not worried about trees and/or need some extra reach. Still need to find an antenna that'll be happy without a ground plane.

Reactions: Biteme
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have not gone APRS, but I do sell IP67 Waterproof dual-banders at www.off-roadcomms.com

I can set you up with what you need. I have a roll bar mounting setup that is self grounding and with the NGP antenna I sell, I get the same distance on the local VHF repeaters as I do with the Kenwood TM-D710 with a dedicated VHF whip on my Silverado

Last edited:
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at mounting a APRS dual-band radio into the Pioneer 1000-5. I have a FTM-400 in my truck and really like it, but I'm having trouble finding a mobile unit with a IP67/67 or any type of IP rating for dust & moisture. Generally speaking, after a week of tooling around, everything in/on the SxS is caked in a thick layer of fine dust - I really don't wanna fry a radio.

Wondering what some of ya'll who have gone this route, have done for mounting a radio in a safe location. I plan on keeping a short antenna on most of the time, with a larger whip tucked away somewhere that I can swap out when I'm not worried about trees and/or need some extra reach. Still need to find an antenna that'll be happy without a ground plane.
I looked for a while I run or used to run a FTM 350 in my truck. the only radio that i have found that is IP67 is the TYT TH-8600 it does claim to have GPS capabilities or the option to install an option GPS unit but I have never seen instructions or the optional add on. It would be nice for being out but around here i doubt i could hit the digirepeater from the trails a lot of the time.

One route you could go is a separate ARPS radio one of the micros that can bluetooth to your phone ... so you can see the data.

something like Byonics - MicroTrak

Reactions: Biteme and Mudder
elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I looked for a while I run or used to run a FTM 350 in my truck. the only radio that i have found that is IP67 is the TYT TH-8600 it does claim to have GPS capabilities or the option to install an option GPS unit but I have never seen instructions or the optional add on. It would be nice for being out but around here i doubt i could hit the digirepeater from the trails a lot of the time.

One route you could go is a separate ARPS radio one of the micros that can bluetooth to your phone ... so you can see the data.

something like Byonics - MicroTrak

I agree with all of your comments here. Kenwood does make a nice handheld APRS capable transceiver but it is a bit spendy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thought I'd follow up on this thread... mainly because I'm stuck at home with covid... sigh.

Going to put this in the SxS, while it doesn't do APRS it does meet my requirements for weatherproofing and output. Unfortunately a lot of the off-brand Chinese radios don't do so well with their rated output.

Icom 2730

This will let me run both U/V V/V or U/U at the same time.

I'll end up picking up a Kenwood 72 or 74 for my hunting pack; if I need APRS in the buggy, I can just connect it to the Diamond antenna that's getting installed (NGP fold-over so it'll fit in the garage when not in use).

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thought I'd follow up on this thread... mainly because I'm stuck at home with covid... sigh.

Going to put this in the SxS, while it doesn't do APRS it does meet my requirements for weatherproofing and output. Unfortunately a lot of the off-brand Chinese radios don't do so well with their rated output.

Icom 2730

This will let me run both U/V V/V or U/U at the same time.

I'll end up picking up a Kenwood 72 or 74 for my hunting pack; if I need APRS in the buggy, I can just connect it to the Diamond antenna that's getting installed (NGP fold-over so it'll fit in the garage when not in use).

Curious as to how you will meet the weather resistance you were looking for with this unit. As far as I can see it is not rated for water resistance. I see temperature, shock, and vibration but no mention of water ...

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
MIL-STD 810 testing includes (snipped relevant tests)

• Test Method 501.5 High Temperature
  • Test Method 502.5 Low Temperature
  • Test Method 503.5 Temperature Shock
  • Test Method 504.1 Contamination by Fluids
  • Test Method 505.5 Solar Radiation (Sunshine)
  • Test Method 506.5 Rain
  • Test Method 507.5 Humidity
  • Test Method 510.5 Sand and Dust
  • Test Method 511.5 Explosive Atmosphere
  • Test Method 512.5 Immersion
  • Test Method 513.6 Acceleration
  • Test Method 514.6 Vibration
  • Test Method 515.6 Acoustic Noise
  • Test Method 516.6 Shock
  • Test Method 517.1 Pyroshock
  • Test Method 520.3 Temperature, Humidity, Vibration, and Altitude
  • Test Method 521.3 Icing/Freezing Rain
  • Test Method 523.3 Vibro-Acoustic/Temperature
  • Test Method 524 Freeze / Thaw
  • Test Method 528 Mechanical Vibrations of Shipboard Equipment (Type I – Environmental and Type II – Internally Excited)

For the radio to have the MIL-STD 810 rating, it needed to pass those (and more) tests. Pretty sure the radio would outlast the SxS; don't exactly want to ride in an explosive atmosphere for instance.

thashane

thashane

Lifetime Member
Oct 19, 2020
norCa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have a kenwood tm-281 mounted under/to the roof, and one in the dash of my other sxs, no issues to date. However I don't bog or submarine.
Edit: it's also milstd 810

20201115 212241 20200519 221637

Last edited:
J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a kenwood tm-281 mounted under/to the roof, and one in the dash of my other sxs, no issues to date. However I don't bog or submarine.

View attachment 237752 View attachment 237753

If you don't mind my asking, what 2M antenna are you running and how is it mounted? Also how did you ground the antenna and how does it work without a large metal ground plane?

The Honda makes a great mast support for my 20 foot push up antenna mast!

UTVTactical7000

• Love
Reactions: Biteme and thashane
elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
MIL-STD 810 testing includes (snipped relevant tests)

• Test Method 501.5 High Temperature
  • Test Method 502.5 Low Temperature
  • Test Method 503.5 Temperature Shock
  • Test Method 504.1 Contamination by Fluids
  • Test Method 505.5 Solar Radiation (Sunshine)
  • Test Method 506.5 Rain
  • Test Method 507.5 Humidity
  • Test Method 510.5 Sand and Dust
  • Test Method 511.5 Explosive Atmosphere
  • Test Method 512.5 Immersion
  • Test Method 513.6 Acceleration
  • Test Method 514.6 Vibration
  • Test Method 515.6 Acoustic Noise
  • Test Method 516.6 Shock
  • Test Method 517.1 Pyroshock
  • Test Method 520.3 Temperature, Humidity, Vibration, and Altitude
  • Test Method 521.3 Icing/Freezing Rain
  • Test Method 523.3 Vibro-Acoustic/Temperature
  • Test Method 524 Freeze / Thaw
  • Test Method 528 Mechanical Vibrations of Shipboard Equipment (Type I – Environmental and Type II – Internally Excited)

For the radio to have the MIL-STD 810 rating, it needed to pass those (and more) tests. Pretty sure the radio would outlast the SxS; don't exactly want to ride in an explosive atmosphere for instance.

Thanks. I thought it might be in the MIL standards but only saw these listed in the Icom specs

5242bfbe39766ac107a3deaf0ab9f611

I’ll do a bit more research

advertisement
thashane

thashane

Lifetime Member
Oct 19, 2020
norCa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
If you don't mind my asking, what 2M antenna are you running and how is it mounted? Also how did you ground the antenna and how does it work without a large metal ground plane?

The Honda makes a great mast support for my 20 foot push up antenna mast!

I cut out some aluminum sheet, painted it black, and bolted it to the roof. I also added 10ga radials bolted to the cage net mounts, from the corners of the aluminum sheet. I used a 3/8 thick nmo through the rear roof. I have a 5/8 w/spring Larsen, and a Laird 1/4. I've just been leaving the 1/4 on. Radio chasis is grounded to the frame as well.20201126 18375720201126 183641

Reactions: Biteme and JAL
J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That certainly looks like a good setup! I ordered an RV antenna, the 2M Chameleon "vise grip" antenna with a 1/4 wave vertical and a 1/4 wave stinger. Curious to see how well it works.

73s

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Reactions: Mudder and Biteme
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
20201126 110032

I had to improvise a bit on mounts until I get all parts delivered. Good continuity from end to end on the coax and from antenna mount to antenna end on the coax. Good ground.
No static. Don't have a SWR meter but I think its fine.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 237925
I had to improvise a bit on mounts until I get all parts delivered. Good continuity from end to end on the coax and from antenna mount to antenna end on the coax. Good ground.
No static. Don't have a SWR meter but I think its fine.
As @elkaholic has already said, ground, ground and then ground.

Reactions: Mudder and Biteme
Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Edit: it's also milstd 810

We have been running the same rig in our P1000 for about three years. It is enclosed with a windshield and soft sides. It gets dusty and has had a splash or two with no issues. It is coupled a Larson glass mount antenna. I just checked it this week with an analyzer and its giving me a SWR of 1.2 on 146.52. And peaks at 1.8-9 going up or down to band ends.

We are in the process adding a Rugged GMRS which is a reworked TYT 8600 (supposedly part 95 certified) and TYT 8600 amateur band) to another UTV. It's the only way I can figure to be completely legal to talk on both bands. Two licenses of course. Installing a 5/8wave GMRS antenna with a custom fabricated ground plane mount to maximise the GMRS on that install. If it works well the P1000K will get a GMRS in short order.

Reactions: thashane and Biteme
advertisement