Hatfield McCoy for newbies

M

MarylandMark

Oct 22, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for some help for a Hatfield McCoy trip in early April 2020, please.

We're brand new SxS'ers with the first time I've ever even ridden in one being when the salesperson pulled our new leftover 2018 P1K-5 LE with dealer installed 2 piece windshield and roof on our trailer. I've installed a winch, street legal kit with DOT Tusk Terrabite tires (same size as stock) so far and have about 15 miles of riding on wooded trailers under my belt. Riding is limited right now due to hunting season where we'd normally ride (in-laws 70 acres that backs up to 2000 acre preserve along power lines) and not many trails that I know of closer to home (hoping to find some!!).

It's going to be me, my wife (both in our 40's) , our 6 year old son and my in-laws (mid-60's in good shape). We'd like to ride, then stop for lunch/sight-see/etc, then ride a bit more (or not), dinner, sightseeing, dinner, stay the night and mosey to our next spot the next day and so on. My thought is that I'd like to keep it easy and if we feel like riding some more we can double-back or something along those lines rather than have no choice but to hump longer than we'd like. We're rookies so have no idea what our limit is; could be 5 miles or 250 miles.

We're looking to leave Maryland (20646 if that helps) Monday after Easter for the 400 mile drive there, getting the rig off the trailer, check out some sights, dinner, hotel and hit the trails the next day. The only other plan is to be back on the trailer Friday at some point and head toward home early Saturday morning.

I'm researching their website and reading threads but figured I'd shoot my idea out here for advice as well. Quite a few threads focus on the north or south system and didn't want to post on those because we have no constraints on which ones we do other than getting there Monday and leaving Saturday.

Thanks!

IMG 20191020 133514 IMG 20191026 152054 01 IMG 20191026 165412 1 IMG 20191026 182600 1

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Choogsbro and @VaHillbilly can probably give you some good info. You could also consider coming to the forum group ride called Takeover in Pioneer, TN at Ride Royal Blue which is in April. There is a thread about it.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
VaHillbilly

VaHillbilly

NTC immigrant gardner
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
Sw VA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

We're brand new SxS'ers with the first time I've ever even ridden in one being when the salesperson pulled our new leftover 2018 P1K-5 LE with dealer installed 2 piece windshield and roof on our trailer. I've installed a winch, street legal kit with DOT Tusk Terrabite tires (same size as stock) so far and have about 15 miles of riding on wooded trailers under my belt. Riding is limited right now due to hunting season where we'd normally ride (in-laws 70 acres that backs up to 2000 acre preserve along power lines) and not many trails that I know of closer to home (hoping to find some!!).

It's going to be me, my wife (both in our 40's) , our 6 year old son and my in-laws (mid-60's in good shape). We'd like to ride, then stop for lunch/sight-see/etc, then ride a bit more (or not), dinner, sightseeing, dinner, stay the night and mosey to our next spot the next day and so on. My thought is that I'd like to keep it easy and if we feel like riding some more we can double-back or something along those lines rather than have no choice but to hump longer than we'd like. We're rookies so have no idea what our limit is; could be 5 miles or 250 miles.

We're looking to leave Maryland (20646 if that helps) Monday after Easter for the 400 mile drive there, getting the rig off the trailer, check out some sights, dinner, hotel and hit the trails the next day. The only other plan is to be back on the trailer Friday at some point and head toward home early Saturday morning.

I'm researching their website and reading threads but figured I'd shoot my idea out here for advice as well. Quite a few threads focus on the north or south system and didn't want to post on those because we have no constraints on which ones we do other than getting there Monday and leaving Saturday.

Thanks!

View attachment 169356 View attachment 169357 View attachment 169358 View attachment 169359
Great looking rig!
I haven't rode the HM trails.... well legally. I did spend a day riding them once. They should be a great place to start! I would just simply research what area you like and go from there. I park at Ashland myself and go ride outlaw trails. You can pick up a map there as well as get your permits which will be one per person at $50 a piece per year.

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Trails are pretty mild mostly. 2wheel drive mostly. My favorite system is the Rockhouse-Devil Anse-Buffalo Mountain which are all connected together. As Jackal said Twin Hollow campgrounds is very nice and on the Rockhouse segment. Also very nice but smaller is Devil Anse Atv Resort on the Devil Anse segment and very central to those 3 systems. Many small towns to visit on those three systems. If you choose those 3 trails hit up a local and get directions to the wild horses.

IMG 20170429 173515914 HDR
IMG 20170429 173627338
IMG 20190917 133150323
IMG 20190916 102117062
IMG 20190916 134548024
IMG 20190919 160229374
IMG 20190919 141149784
IMG 20190919 160758609

C

Cobber4082

Lifetime Member
Mar 26, 2019
Solon Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks!

View attachment 169356 View attachment 169357 View attachment 169358 View attachment 169359
If your a facebooker?? There is another excellent forum called " Hatfield McCoy riders" discussion page.... They can help you with any questions. I believe you have to ask to join the group no big deal and tons of info. October was our virgin trip to the area also recommend a guide to get you going at least first day

G

gtsum2

Apr 28, 2019
Moseley
Just got back from hatfield yesterday (we go 5-6 times per year for the last 7-8 years). You have the southern cluster of trails (pinnacle creek, Indian ridge, pocahantas and war), and then the northern/western systems (rockhouse, Devil anse, Buffalo mtn and bear wallow). Depends on what you are looking for...

Southern systems - generally easier (hatfield) and a lot more outlaw trails (non hatfield). Lots of people like Ashland resort because of its location and that is true...note that there is nothing around Ashland resort as far as stores, bars, restaurants, etc. it’s right on the Indian ridge system...although half of Indian ridge is closed for logging right now...pocahantas is flat and easy and pinnacle creek can be fun with a lot of water...Warrior is the best system there by a long shot. Not many people ride it yet as there is no infrastructure in the towns of war or Gary...but the trails are great...high speed, long, and not too rutted out...like a roller coaster. You can trailer there but it’s a pita. You can get there via trails from any of the other southern systems. We usually stay in pineville with ole lodging or stay near pocahantas...between the 4 systems you have maybe 350 miles of hatfield trails and couple thousand of outlaw trails. Pineville has restaurants, grocery stores and bars etc.

Devil anse is a fun system...long trails and lots of elevation change. Rockhouse is a favorite of many and it’s the biggest system with over 100 miles alone. It’s rough and rutted out and the blacks there are harder than the blacks on the southern system. Can stay in gilbert, man, or Logan and hit all these trails. We have also stayed in matewan which is on Devil anse but others amenities are limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: seig and Rambo
M

MarylandMark

Oct 22, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all the information! (Edit to add, post right above this was posted while I was typing, then got some food and finished up so have to digest that info still).

@Choogsbro 's post 5, 2nd pic; any trails without cliffs like that? I'm not a fan of heights.

Prefer hotels for this trip if that changes anything? Might RV or cabin camp one day but rather hotel it our first trip down.

Is there an overview map of the trails so I can visually see how it makes sense to start at point A, go from there to point B, etc? Example would be I'd like to spend a day in Williamson, WV and stay the night at The Mountaineer Hotel. What would make sense as to where I would I be coming from and where would I head to the following day? Create me an itinerary?

Mon- 400 mile travel day from Maryland so would need parking, dinner and a hotel; where do I start at?
Tues- hit the trails for ____ miles, cool lunch spot and then stay there or keep going ____ miles, wander around town, dinner, hotel.
Wed- same
Thurs - start heading back towards where we started at, wander around town, dinner, hotel
Fri- back to where we started at, wander around, load up, dinner, hotel
Sat- homeward bound

M

MarylandMark

Oct 22, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I was thinking I could go from place A to place B to place C but seeing that although it can be done, it's not really laid out the way I thought it was which is why I was so confused. I didn't realize there was that many mile between the different systems.

How's this sound?

Mon- 400 mile drive from Maryland to The Mountaineer Hotel in Williamson (has parking). Look around town, dinner, bed.
Tues- Ride Buffalo Mountain, sight-see, Mountaineer Hotel for 2nd night
Wed- Ride harder Buffalo Mountain trails, hit the side trails, load UTV on trailer to head out in AM, dinner, Mountaineer Hotel for 3nd night
Thurs- breakfast in AM and to a town that connects to Rockhouse. Ride Rockhouse, dinner, bed.
Fri- ride harder Rockhouse trials, side trails, walk around town, dinner, load UTV on trailer to head out in AM, dinner, bed.
Sat- head home

Too slow? Too much? Not enough? Remember this will be our first big trip ever so not sure how much riding we can handle and would like options if it's too cold/wet/sore/etc. I'm more worried about enough to do in town than the trails because we can keep doing the same trails with increasing difficulty if we feel like riding some more. If we don't feel like riding I want to be able to keep busy enough that it's still a fun trip.

Thanks,
Mark

advertisement
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks for all the information! (Edit to add, post right above this was posted while I was typing, then got some food and finished up so have to digest that info still).

@Choogsbro 's post 5, 2nd pic; any trails without cliffs like that? I'm not a fan of heights.

Prefer hotels for this trip if that changes anything? Might RV or cabin camp one day but rather hotel it our first trip down.

Is there an overview map of the trails so I can visually see how it makes sense to start at point A, go from there to point B, etc? Example would be I'd like to spend a day in Williamson, WV and stay the night at The Mountaineer Hotel. What would make sense as to where I would I be coming from and where would I head to the following day? Create me an itinerary?

Mon- 400 mile travel day from Maryland so would need parking, dinner and a hotel; where do I start at?
Tues- hit the trails for ____ miles, cool lunch spot and then stay there or keep going ____ miles, wander around town, dinner, hotel.
Wed- same
Thurs - start heading back towards where we started at, wander around town, dinner, hotel
Fri- back to where we started at, wander around, load up, dinner, hotel
Sat- homeward bound
Going to be very hard to avoid trails much like what you see in picture #5. Picture #5 was most likely taken from the trail on picture #2. If these type of trails bother you then maybe H&M is not for you. JMO

Reactions: seig
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Every trail picture I posted is very near ( walking distance ) to something like what is shown in picture #5

G

gtsum2

Apr 28, 2019
Moseley
The vast majority of trails at hatfield (especially the northern trails), are similar to those pics. Even green (easy) trails can and do have a 100ft drop off the side of the trail...Pocahontas system doesn’t have many of those though...it is a flatter system in logging country. My 12 year old just did 75 miles on his Honda rancher there last weekend (he has been riding since he was 3-4 though). I wouldn’t take him to rockhouse or Devil anse yet though

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The vast majority of trails at hatfield (especially the northern trails), are similar to those pics. Even green (easy) trails can and do have a 100ft drop off the side of the trail...Pocahontas system doesn’t have many of those though...it is a flatter system in logging country. My 12 year old just did 75 miles on his Honda rancher there last weekend (he has been riding since he was 3-4 though). I wouldn’t take him to rockhouse or Devil anse yet though

This is correct.

M

MarylandMark

Oct 22, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would you stay in Bramwell or City of Pocahontas or some place else? My thought would be to get in to town Monday in time for dinner and roll home Saturday morning.

Between Pocahontas and Speerhead trails are there enough riding options and various levels of difficulty for 3-4 days of riding or we going to get bored?

Is there enough to do to entertain a 6 year old between Bramwell and the City of Pocahontas if we are don't feel like riding? Museums, places to eat, stuff to see, etc?

Thoughts on this place.

https://www.bramwellhillmanor.com/

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!