Hatfield McCoy- southern section

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got a trip planned with my dad and a buddy in a couple of weeks to check out the southern section of the hatfield-mccoy trails. We've ridden the Northern Group several times and have decided to go a little farther south to see what that bunch has to offer. It's our first time on Pinnacle, Indian Ridge, and Pocahontas.

I've read enough to convince me that we needed to bite the bullet and stay at Ashland Resort. My understanding is that this is in the middle of Indian Ridge, meaning that we should be able to ride all three trail systems from our cabin.

My question to The Forum at Large is what do I need to know about staying at Ashland Lodge, the area, ect? In the past we've ridden into a town each day for lunch... Is this feasible? Do we have the range on my 1000-5, dad's foreman and my buddy's rancher to go town to town and just gas up when we get to a town? They've been fine up north, but I've never ridden the 1000 more than 30 miles in a day. Anything on the trail we need to see? Avoid? Same for food/towns? Isn't "Riders Paradise" down in The area? Worth the stop?

Thanks in advance!

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
We stayed at Ashland in July. A must is the small diner in Bramwell. Also Riders Paridise is a must. One thing to make sure you do is follow the directions to Ashland that they have on their website. Do not nessacialy follow your gps. Ashland is a very nice campground.

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
IMG 1529
IMG 1534
IMG 1536
IMG 1577
Bramwell is off of pacohantas trail. Riders paradise is off of Indian Ridge. You have to take a couple outlaw trails to get to Riders paradise or you can take all roads.

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks Choogsbro. Do y'all take the outlaw trails to Riders Paradise? Anything super sketchy? We have never ventured off the state maintained stuff, but I do have BobT maps for them now.
nothing sketchy at all. just one trail then roads the rest of the way there. and when i say roads that might be a stretch calling them roads.

Reactions: BWAF and TimG
advertisement
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Choogsbro. I think that map and my bobt stuff should get us there, fingers crossed. Looks like they should get a fair amount of rain in the next week and a half too. I'm pretty stoked about the trip.

Travis85 you'll have to hit us up if you end up down further south. Plenty of riding to be had right there within a half hour of bear wallow though. Riding Rock House from Man down to Trail 12 BBQ is a pretty nice day. I believe that Trailhead is only about 15 minutes drive from bear wallow. I don't know if they would give you directions this time of year because they run a tour up there, but there's a couple herds of wild horses right outside of that town maybe a 5 or 10 minute ride from the barbecue place. The trails up there are like a local dump, it's kind of sad but the horses are really neat. Last time we were up there my buddy fed them from his hand.

IMG 20180421 153929496

Reactions: BWAF and Travis85
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's what I was looking for

Screenshot 20180906 1330462

Reactions: BWAF
T

Travis85

Aug 15, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Choogsbro. I think that map and my bobt stuff should get us there, fingers crossed. Looks like they should get a fair amount of rain in the next week and a half too. I'm pretty stoked about the trip.

Travis85 you'll have to hit us up if you end up down further south. Plenty of riding to be had right there within a half hour of bear wallow though. Riding Rock House from Man down to Trail 12 BBQ is a pretty nice day. I believe that Trailhead is only about 15 minutes drive from bear wallow. I don't know if they would give you directions this time of year because they run a tour up there, but there's a couple herds of wild horses right outside of that town maybe a 5 or 10 minute ride from the barbecue place. The trails up there are like a local dump, it's kind of sad but the horses are really neat. Last time we were up there my buddy fed them from his hand.

View attachment 86071
Yeah. a buddy of mine was down in that part earlier this summer and feed the horses.

Reactions: BWAF

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!