Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have a idea to put the front tires up on the toolbox as close to the cab as I can get it and maybe have to have the rear sit on bumper or a ramp but I think I'm gonna build a rack to go in the bed I wanna keep the motor of the p5 down low so I don't have a higher center of gravity and also I don't want my roof of the p5 to be 15 feet off the ground even if I do the flat bed I feel it will be inches to short (bodies is 84" long) but airbags Had them on my halfton towed anything definitely putting them on this truck as well
Yeah, puts it up in the air too high. I'll be taking my toolbox out to haul it.
What brand of bags were you running @Tmiller ? I've heard good things about Airlift airbags.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: Montecresto
hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
I had a 22ft bumper pull toy hauler. I liked it when I had a dually.
But didn't when I went to single tire truck.
You pull machine in rear of most haulers, then you don't have enough tongue weight

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Properly built toy haulers position the axles such that there is adequate tongue weight with the wheeler in the garage.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
S

Sledge

Yeah, puts it up in the air too high. I'll be taking my toolbox out to haul it.
What brand of bags were you running @Tmiller ? I've heard good things about Airlift airbags.
I had Airlifts on my '99 Dodge dually until '12 when I traded it for a new one. 13 years, airing them up and down.

Zero problems. Excellent kit, Trigger. The in-cab adjustment stuff is needless, expensive, and problematic. Just air 'em up like tires, and leave that crap alone.

DON'T tie them together. You lose all your roll-control if you do.

My '12 didn't need 'em, carrying a similar load. I fabbed a 2" block to engage the helper springs earlier, and all is good.

I loved the '99, but the '12 is a much better truck, in every way.

I hate that it is smarter than I am in the mountains, but it is. Load/haul mode and the engine brake just flat take care of business.

My brakes may last forever. :)

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I had Airlifts on my '99 Dodge dually until '12 when I traded it for a new one. 13 years, airing them up and down.

Zero problems. Excellent kit, Trigger. The in-cab adjustment stuff is needless, expensive, and problematic. Just air 'em up like tires, and leave that crap alone.

DON'T tie them together. You lose all your roll-control if you do.

My '12 didn't need 'em, carrying a similar load. I fabbed a 2" block to engage the helper springs earlier, and all is good.

I loved the '99, but the '12 is a much better truck, in every way.

I hate that it is smarter than I am in the mountains, but it is. Load/haul mode and the engine brake just flat take care of business.

My brakes may last forever. :)

Joe
Airlifts...made in Michigan! :cool:

Tmiller

Tmiller

Apr 5, 2016
New york
Just ordered this set for my 3/4 ton my half ton was hooked together no check valves and I never had a problem with body roll see if this kit has a check valve or plumed separate

S

Sledge

View attachment 18587 Just ordered this set for my 3/4 ton my half ton was hooked together no check valves and I never had a problem with body roll see if this kit has a check valve or plumed separate
To each his own. Check my avatar to see why roll is of concern to me. Tall camper.

You might run into that with your P5 perched way up yonder too. Individual bags WILL control body roll, and hooked together bags won't.

The need for a dedicated compressor and in-cab adjustment completely escapes me. A Schraeder valve in each wheel well works great, and cuts costs by more than half.

Most people who badmouth airbags complain about problems with compressor and the in-cab stuff, not the bags. The bags are butt-simple, and give no trouble.

I like simple. I like 13 year no maintenance reliability. I needed to air up my tires when hauling heavy anyway, and the bag valves were right there.

Joe

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
To each his own. Check my avatar to see why roll is of concern to me. Tall camper.

You might run into that with your P5 perched way up yonder too. Individual bags WILL control body roll, and hooked together bags won't.

The need for a dedicated compressor and in-cab adjustment completely escapes me. A Schraeder valve in each wheel well works great, and cuts costs by more than half.

Most people who badmouth airbags complain about problems with compressor and the in-cab stuff, not the bags. The bags are butt-simple, and give no trouble.

I like simple. I like 13 year no maintenance reliability. I needed to air up my tires when hauling heavy anyway, and the bag valves were right there.

Joe
I heard that you put the on board compressor in because the air bags leak and you can maintain pressure that way.
Seems to me if they leak all the time then they are useless.
I agree, you should be able to inflate and forget about it til you reach your destination.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I heard that you put the on board compressor in because the air bags leak and you can maintain pressure that way.
I agree, you should be able to inflate and forget about it til you reach your destination.
Yep
had um for 2 1/2 yrs
same thing happened

S

Sledge

Mine never leaked. Up to 100#, for weeks at a time.

Maybe because it was just a bag, 18" hose, and a Schraeder valve. Not many potential leak points.

Joe

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Lotsa guys up here use a similar system to what Tmiller is running only out of aluminum. A number I've seen integrate with the bull board on the truck and park front wheels over the cab, lotsa a room then with short box. Then I've just seen one the other day was a snowmobile deck (above box) with a tube aluminum frame that put the UTV front wheels just over cab. In this way gives clearance for trailer pull and no interference.

Tmiller looks awesome my only advice (as I used to use wood loading ramps with my Rubi 500 ATV).. You may wanna put some traction on those planks....rains, muddy and can be an exciting ride.
Here is on system I've found, seen another that was integrated with a headache rack too.

ALPINE SUPER RACK

j

Last edited:
Tmiller

Tmiller

Apr 5, 2016
New york
Yeah I seen them just a lot of money and I don't like the idea of the weight ontop of the bed little to tippy for me my buddy made one but I also put a kit (conpresser gage switches valves bags all the stuff) off eBay in last week it leeked down the 1s 2 days but seams to be good now now leeks works well for now just gotta do something for traction on ramps

Reactions: trigger
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!