Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah I seen them just a lot of money and I don't like the idea of the weight ontop of the bed little to tippy for me my buddy made one but I also put a kit (conpresser gage switches valves bags all the stuff) off eBay in last week it leeked down the 1s 2 days but seams to be good now now leeks works well for now just gotta do something for traction on ramps
Exactly, way too tippy to be putting that weight that high above the trucks COG.

Reactions: Tmiller and trigger
hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
Ok guys, After waiting forever for a Ram Ecodiesel, I ended up with a F150 3.5 Ecoboost extended cab.
I will let you know what I come up with. It doesn't have an 8ft bed, so I will have to come up with a plan
Either figure out how to pull camper with tailgate down, or pull a little trailer with P5 behind it, not really excited about either. I might actually have to buy my own truck. I like the idea of the hold down hitches, but I see they are only good for 2K pounds. Camper weighs 4,500 empty

F150

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Ok guys, After waiting forever for a Ram Ecodiesel, I ended up with a F150 3.5 Ecoboost extended cab.
I will let you know what I come up with. It doesn't have an 8ft bed, so I will have to come up with a plan
Either figure out how to pull camper with tailgate down, or pull a little trailer with P5 behind it, not really excited about either. I might actually have to buy my own truck. I like the idea of the hold down hitches, but I see they are only good for 2K pounds. Camper weighs 4,500 empty

View attachment 30361

You got a camper & p5
& you bought a 1500?

Reactions: Dp5hunter
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
What's wrong with that. I have a toy hauler and a p700-4 and a 1500. What's the problem ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Read...he has to haul p5...in truck...
so the problem is....the weight
he'll need better shocks....and hope
he does have to steep of hills..
speaking from experience

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
What's wrong with that. I have a toy hauler and a p700-4 and a 1500. What's the problem ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He has camper...
you got toyhauler. ..
apples & oranges...
dude

R

Rustell

View attachment 30361
Hambone.... Look on the drivers side door pillar and you will find listed the maximum cargo weight available for your truck. This includes you, your passengers....the tongue weight of your trailer..everything. Even if you can get your P5 in the truck and the trailer hooked up, most likely you will be overweight.
I drive a 2012 F150 extended cab 5.0 ... Cargo weight listed for my truck is 1640 lbs

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Hambone.... Look on the drivers side door pillar and you will find listed the maximum cargo weight available for your truck. This includes you, your passengers....the tongue weight of your trailer..everything. Even if you can get your P5 in the truck and the trailer hooked up, most likely you will be overweight.
I drive a 2012 F150 extended cab 5.0 ... Cargo weight listed for my truck is 1640 lbs
That's wat I'm sayin
no need to look at door panel info
he said it was a 1500...which is a 1/2
Ton truck

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 30361

Congrats on the new truck! Don't let anyone make you think you messed up.

My truck has the same sticker on the door that says some crap about 1600 lbs. I added leaf springs and "E" load tires. It's already the FX4 package with the 3.55 gears (3.73 were optional). I've got a custom tune and making over 500 lbs/ft of torque under 2500 rpm. The f150 when configured right is bad ass. Approaching 100k miles now and this thing has towed a work trailer all over the south east. It's not as tough as my old power stroke but it definitely above any half ton truck I've ever driven. 9.5" rear end is tough for a half ton. 36 gallon fuel tank is awesome. Needless to say, I'll be buying another one when I trade this one in. We've got all makes in our work fleet except Toyota. The company finally said that f-150 is the only option we get from here one out.

The work trailer is 8.5' wide and 10' tall. Usually loaded to around 6-7k plus the truck bed is always loaded. It's pulled it from one state to the next and never sweated. Plus, when I ask it to haul our Bobcat 287B, it handles that no problem. (That's 13K lbs). It has integrated trailer sway control, integrated brake controller, and I've never worried.

I'm not saying it's better than any 3/4 ton but for someone that occasionally needs to haul heavy, it's great.

Today, 4 adults in the cab, and the bed loaded full. Then hooked up to 6k worth of trailer. We've been in 4 states today! The ecoboost never complained. Oh yeah, back to that 1600lbs cargo capacity....that must be for the tire rating. AND, my truck is slightly lifted and these 8 ply Michelins measure 34.1" tall. Still the truck doesn't care.

Sorry for the long rant, I know everyone has their own tastes in trucks but Hambone has certainly made a good choice imo.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Most of the new trucks will pull big loads no problem. It's a matter of safely stopping it and ability to safely handle a blowout, crosswinds and sway. My '14 sierra 5.3 is rated to 10k or something. It's leveled on 33s with bags. loaded with ppl and gear true tow capacity diminishes quickly.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Most of the new trucks will pull big loads no problem. It's a matter of safely stopping it and ability to safely handle a blowout, crosswinds and sway. My '14 sierra 5.3 is rated to 10k or something. It's leveled on 33s with bags. loaded with ppl and gear true tow capacity diminishes quickly.
I was pulling 10,000 lbs with my 1500 and breaking wasn't too bad due to trailer breaks, but........the front end was too light, and the cross winds and the semi push/pull when they pass or vice versa was horrible. The suspension and the weight of the 1500 just was over challenged by five tons behind it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Congrats on the new truck! Don't let anyone make you think you messed up.

My truck has the same sticker on the door that says some crap about 1600 lbs. I added leaf springs and "E" load tires. It's already the FX4 package with the 3.55 gears (3.73 were optional). I've got a custom tune and making over 500 lbs/ft of torque under 2500 rpm. The f150 when configured right is bad ass. Approaching 100k miles now and this thing has towed a work trailer all over the south east. It's not as tough as my old power stroke but it definitely above any half ton truck I've ever driven. 9.5" rear end is tough for a half ton. 36 gallon fuel tank is awesome. Needless to say, I'll be buying another one when I trade this one in. We've got all makes in our work fleet except Toyota. The company finally said that f-150 is the only option we get from here one out.

The work trailer is 8.5' wide and 10' tall. Usually loaded to around 6-7k plus the truck bed is always loaded. It's pulled it from one state to the next and never sweated. Plus, when I ask it to haul our Bobcat 287B, it handles that no problem. (That's 13K lbs). It has integrated trailer sway control, integrated brake controller, and I've never worried.

I'm not saying it's better than any 3/4 ton but for someone that occasionally needs to haul heavy, it's great.

Today, 4 adults in the cab, and the bed loaded full. Then hooked up to 6k worth of trailer. We've been in 4 states today! The ecoboost never complained. Oh yeah, back to that 1600lbs cargo capacity....that must be for the tire rating. AND, my truck is slightly lifted and these 8 ply Michelins measure 34.1" tall. Still the truck doesn't care.

Sorry for the long rant, I know everyone has their own tastes in trucks but Hambone has certainly made a good choice imo.
Haha good rant Joey. Hambone's truck is a good truck, but even Ford would not recommend it being used as you do, nor would DOT be approving. Maybe we should ask CP's opinion about pulling beyond ratings. :eek:

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Hauling that much ....OVER
weight....dangerous. .
no concern for other drivers
....brake controler....
don't cut it...those brakes
could & will glaze....
& the rest is CARNAGE
IMO

hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
P5 weighs right at 1K correct? I doubt a 4,500 camper will have 650 pounds tongue weight, but I will check.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Who said I bought it??
Well if ya didn't. ..
wouldn't you of said..
..that before the Congrats
...on your new truck..?
Tounge weight is approximately
10%...

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Well if ya didn't. ..
wouldn't you of said..
..that before the Congrats
...on your new truck..?
Tounge weight is approximately
10%...
Post #62..
By you...says you bought it?

R

Rustell

P5 weighs right at 1K correct? I doubt a 4,500 camper will have 650 pounds tongue weight, but I will check.

I pull a 18'.. 3800 lb toy hauler, the tongue weight is 735 lbs. The P5 is closer to 1100 lbs. You need a weight distribution hitch (100 lbs) for any tongue weight over 500 lbs. Add in you and your passengers weight along with any gear you might have in the truck and a full tank of gas. As you can see...it adds up real quick. I calculated my cargo weight at around 1200 lbs and my P5 is in the trailer.

hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
I pull a 18'.. 3800 lb toy hauler, the tongue weight is 735 lbs. The P5 is closer to 1100 lbs. You need a weight distribution hitch (100 lbs) for any tongue weight over 500 lbs. Add in you and your passengers weight along with any gear you might have in the truck and a full tank of gas. As you can see...it adds up real quick. I calculated my cargo weight at around 1200 lbs and my P5 is in the trailer.
Yes it does.
I have a new distribution hitch with sway. That will help. I might have to move the tongue jack farther back. My even have to move the propane tanks to the rear rack on camper. That would help on tongue weight. I will just have to plat around with it, once it gets a little warmer.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!