P500 Hauling Backwards

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Ok who has hauled backwards.... with the snow plough on and in a short box bed? What did you do for the tailgate to add strength?

jrc

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
The steel arms definitely take care of the issue with the cables, but still don't add any strength to the gate itself. And that machine with a plow on it is alot of weight to put on the gate. Some people are using a piece of 3/4" plywood or some planks (2x8, 2x10 or 2x12).

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
The steel arms definitely take care of the issue with the cables, but still don't add any strength to the gate itself. And that machine with a plow on it is alot of weight to put on the gate. Some people are using a piece of 3/4" plywood or some planks (2x8, 2x10 or 2x12).
Spoke with DG tailgate and have the 3 length set, he mentioned to ensure stock cables are not slack as the arms and latching are not to take all the load. With my 8 ft box, the tires go a bit beyond the bed and the tail gate doesn't fully close, so the shorter arms keep the gate from bounching. If I had a 6 ft bed, I would tend to like the idea of 2x10s joined with plywood or a few 2x 8s given the cost of the machine. The cross members would give something to strap the ramps to and keep them from shifting . The one at the cab end could help serve as a wheel stop. By the way, the DG guy was good on customer service, first set was wrong order, and he sent the correct set and return label without waiting for the return of the wrong order.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Spoke with DG tailgate and have the 3 length set, he mentioned to ensure stock cables are not slack as the arms and latching are not to take all the load. With my 8 ft box, the tires go a bit beyond the bed and the tail gate doesn't fully close, so the shorter arms keep the gate from bounching. If I had a 6 ft bed, I would tend to like the idea of 2x10s joined with plywood or a few 2x 8s given the cost of the machine. The cross members would give something to strap the ramps to and keep them from shifting . The one at the cab end could help serve as a wheel stop. By the way, the DG guy was good on customer service, first set was wrong order, and he sent the correct set and return label without waiting for the return of the wrong order.

I bought a set for my 2012 Sierra, then ended up going with Loaded Rear the Ironman. Haven't used the DG's once, should probably sell them.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Take back what I said, that iron man setup is the ticket. Just sold a 500 lb. dirt bike carrier that looked similar, wish I had see this earlier. It was $139 and folded up with accessory hinge piece when not in use (discount ramps). Good post and pic Trigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: trigger
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks Guys,
For the time being I made some 3/16" straps, by adding 8mm 1.5 pitch bolts in place of the tailgate latch pins. I took the latch pins and put on the tailgate end of the staps and adjusted such that they share the weight with tailgate cables. As I already have an aluminum plate on my tailgate and a sheet of 3/4" plywood in the bed I opted to add angle iron on the bottom (each respective driver's side and passenger side) of the plywood where it shares the load onto the tailgate and box. Backed it on with plough installed and so far works awesome. I did add a couple of tie downs to prevent the blade from dropping should winch cable break and also a couple straps to stop the blade from bouncing up. Lastly hung some flagging tape on the corners of the blade.

This will do until I get a welder and add some receivers to the class V hitch so I can make a rack to replace the tailgate. Something like what Trigger has which is very cool idea.

Thanks again,

jrc

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!