P1000m5 Hawse vs. Roller Fairlead

Willeod

Willeod

Oct 20, 2022
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok boys, I know there is always a lot of discussion around the topic of whether or not to use a hawse or roller fairlead with synthetic winch line, but I just have to put my 2 cents in and would love to hear your experiences.

I've been running a hawse fairlead and synthetic line (probably cheap stuff from Amazon) to run my 72" Warn ProVantage plow. I noticed that the winch line was starting to show a lot of wear, even leaving residue on the hawse fairlead. It doesn't help that the winch line angle of attack with the stock '16 bumper is so drastic. I have the Warn upgraded pulley system that moves the lift point forward on the plow and routes the line to a strap on the bumper. I knew that if I didn't change something I would be replacing the line sooner than later. After doing so research on the google machine I ran across this roller fairlead from KFI that is specifically designed for synthetic line. I have already noticed that it puts less stress on my line when going back and forth... up and down with the plow. I highly recommend running this roller fairlead from KFI.

IMG 1889
IMG 1890
IMG 1906
IMG 1907

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
My KFI synthetic came with a roller fairlead. Switched to a hawse and had the same experience. Now I run the roller and a strap for plow season, hawse and synthetic rope for trail riding. A sideways pull can pinch the rope into the corners of the roller wheels and leave you hanging.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My KFI synthetic came with a roller fairlead. Switched to a hawse and had the same experience. Now I run the roller and a strap for plow season, hawse and synthetic rope for trail riding. A sideways pull can pinch the rope into the corners of the roller wheels and leave you hanging.
☝️☝️☝️☝️THIS for trail. I think for plow if Y’all having issues, the roller will be fine for that.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ok boys, I know there is always a lot of discussion around the topic of whether or not to use a hawse or roller fairlead with synthetic winch line, but I just have to put my 2 cents in and would love to hear your experiences.

I've been running a hawse fairlead and synthetic line (probably cheap stuff from Amazon) to run my 72" Warn ProVantage plow. I noticed that the winch line was starting to show a lot of wear, even leaving residue on the hawse fairlead. It doesn't help that the winch line angle of attack with the stock '16 bumper is so drastic. I have the Warn upgraded pulley system that moves the lift point forward on the plow and routes the line to a strap on the bumper. I knew that if I didn't change something I would be replacing the line sooner than later. After doing so research on the GOOGLE PROPAGANDA machine I ran across this roller fairlead from KFI that is specifically designed for synthetic line. I have already noticed that it puts less stress on my line when going back and forth... up and down with the plow. I highly recommend running this roller fairlead from KFI.

View attachment 366903View attachment 366904View attachment 366905View attachment 366906
Fixed it for ya! ;)

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I’ve had both roller and fixed. Plowing and not as well .

As long as your rollers are free and smooth, they work too.

If you have rollers and you need to winch yourself out, as long as you’re not pulling to a corner of the roller box you’ll be good too imo.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!