Headed West!!

J

JTW

ok.. so we’re headed in a couple weeks westward. Driving out and planning on hitting Yellowstone/ Jackson Hole area. No sxs just a family vacation with the kids (10 & 2.5). I’ve never done a vacation like this, (I’m usually a meticulous prepped/planner) but we’re completely leaving it “plan free”. We’re driving and camping mostly and doing what we want when we want. No plans or itinerary. No budget or reservations. JNo worries or cares! And just with what can fit in the bed of a pickup truck! Do it like they did 70 years ago and just go!

So here’s my question... any of you have any favorite spots or things you did in the area? Any cool places you’ve stayed or hole in the wall towns we should spend some time in? Any neat campgrounds or Airbnb’s with kids? Restaurants or eateries? Routes or roads to take?

The whole goal is to see as much and experience as much as we can in a week and a half or so. I have a nagging urge to cruise down to UT and go to Homestead Crater. Maybe swing home thru Moab area. Hell, I might even check out Marysvale before this September’s ride. No plans, just blow with the wind and try and create a road trip/10th birthday that will never be forgotten.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Depending on if in the area or not but Cody, WY is neat little town. Buffalo Bill Cody is who settled the two and his hotel and restaurant “Irma” Buffalo Bill's Irma Hotel, Historic Lodging & Restaurant Dining in Cody WY near Yellowstoneis still there. They have little gun fights in the alley everyday. There is a couple of good museums there and from what I have heard one of the best gun museums (probably not for this trip) also an entrance to Yellowstone. Not something I would go out of my way again to see but if in the area

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Not sure you will find any acomadations in Yellowstone.The grand Lodge is normally booked up a year in advanced! There is a campground near the south entrance that has tent camping if I I remimber correctly. Yellowstone is a BIG place.

You're oldest may be interested in this program by the NPS. Get her an enexpensive camera so she can capture the trip from her perspective.
Passport To Your National Parks®

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would head west by going north first. Go through and see Mount Rushmore, deadwood, sturgis. Lots of cool stuff up and around that area. I remember as a kid my parents took me and my brother on the same type of trip you are doing and we went through the afore mentioned areas. Hit Yellowstone and Grand Canyon while we were out there. Still one of the best memories I have as a kid growing up. Kudos to you @JTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
^^^^ what he said. Black hills are beautiful, Mt. Rushmore . Cool little town at the base with all the touristy stuff.

Last edited:
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Cody WY is a must see....the museum is awesome. Also the drive through the Big Horn mountains is great as is the Beartooth highway.

Reactions: Plumber32 and JTW
J

JTW

I would head west by going north first. Go through and see Mount Rushmore, deadwood, sturgis. Lots of cool stuff up and around that area. I remember as a kid my parents took me and my brother on the same type of trip you are doing and we went through the afore mentioned areas. Hit Yellowstone and Grand Canyon while we were out there. Still one of the best memories I have as a kid growing up. Kudos to you @JTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
North and over was/is the intention

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Buffalo Bill museum in Cody has the larges private gun collection in the world. It takes an average of 2-3 days to see everything. Remember no dogs in the national parks. Also if you don't have reservations for Yellowstone stone camping, don't count on finding any campsites. That being said, The grand Tetons Typically have more camping options, Any off roading? I've got a few places in the area also I could recommend Get the Benchmark Road and Recreation atlas for Wyoming. If heading north or south from the parks there are some amazing places south like the Mountain Man Museum in Pinedale. OMG awesome place! Also great camping just north of there. Last time I was there in the sporing, I saw 3 eagles fighting, tons of elk deer foxes and so on. Also great fishing along the green river. Soak at Granite Hot springs and camp at Granite CG just down the road..........

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also north of jelly stone is Gallatin NF just above Gardiner MT is 14 miles up NF road to Tom Miner CG for a 2 mile hike to a petrified forest plus bold creek running through CG and supposedly a high concentration of Moose and Ursus Artos Horribilis in SW Mt. Although I didn't see any when I was there. Sweet spot!

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
my campsite at Tom Miner CG in Gallatin NF
IMG 0008

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you're gonna head south into Utah, you should really consider stopping off in Flaming gorge NRA on border with Wyoming and Utah. I can guarantee no disappointments there. Vernal has the Utah Field Museum for Dinosaurs in town and the Awesome National Monument at Dinosaur NM has camping right on the Green River with cool hikes and exhibits/museum...Dont forget camping wether dispersed or at nF CG's along The headwaters of the Green River...Jim Bridger's rifle buttstock at the mountain man museum in Pinedale on 191. Pix aren't loading well right now..
Fullsizeoutput 38c
Fullsizeoutput 38f
Fullsizeoutput 397
Fullsizeoutput 39b
Fullsizeoutput 390

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
On the border of Nevada and Idaho is a small town called Jackpot.
There is a brothel there. The boy will never forget his 10th birthday.

I did a job in Idaho and every other truck driver "broke down" in Jackpot Nevada. It happened so many times that we started warning the delivery companies about Jackpot.

BTW: I was only joking. Please don't take a 10 year old to a whorehouse.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On the border of Nevada and Idaho is a small town called Jackpot.
There is a brothel there. The boy will never forget his 10th birthday.

I did a job in Idaho and every other truck driver "broke down" in Jackpot Nevada. It happened so many times that we started warning the delivery companies about Jackpot.

BTW: I was only joking. Please don't take a 10 year old to a whorehouse.
Especially since its a girl.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure that'll matter to @JTW .

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
More Green River Wyoming. If going through Pinedale pick up needed supplies otherwise Jackson is next stop and much more expensive, There an ethanol free gas station just north of Pinedale too.
Fullsizeoutput 36e
Fullsizeoutput 37f
Fullsizeoutput 36c
Fullsizeoutput 370
Fullsizeoutput 37c

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!