100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Delorme is no longer making states atlases. Order this; From Benchmark.
IMG 4718

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The yellow line is 191 north of Pinedale where the Mountain man museum is . Orange line is 352 towards Green river and lake with lots of dispersed and nice CG's along the river and tons of wildlife and the remains of the Gros Ventre hunting lodge. Little blue line is Granite Creek CG and the Granite Creek Hot springs on Bridger Teton NF road 30500. A little hike from the CG there are falls and a hot spring just below the falls on the other side of the river.
IMG 4721

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1st pic is at the main hot spring. Pix of the falls there and hot spring in river. Lots of Moose and Beaver in the area.
Side note; if you're going to more than one NP on this trip, I'd suggest buying a NP's pass for $80 at any NP entrance. Most entry fees are about $25 plus camping in np CG's and boating and or fishing licenses. You can get a fishing license just for the parks as opposed to state permits. They get you at every turn being a captive audience. Also expect long delays on the roads due to Bear Jams and tourists galore. Try to get out early to see the sights. there is one off road road in the Tetons NP. It's not marked but I know how to find it and its not hard if you know where to look. this road gets you a bit away from the crowds. 4x4 only. See lots more wildlife.
I have lots of suggestions for the sights and camping in the Tetons as well as Yellowstone. Carry Bear spray.
Bridger-Teton National Forest - Granite Hot Springs Pool
IMG 0427
Fullsizeoutput 34f
Fullsizeoutput 34a
Fullsizeoutput 346
IMG 4920
IMG 4921
Fullsizeoutput 342
Fullsizeoutput 32f
Fullsizeoutput 33d
Fullsizeoutput 33b
Fullsizeoutput 338
Fullsizeoutput 334
Fullsizeoutput 332

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bring Binoculars

Reactions: JTW
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Camping in the Tetons, I believe Jenny Lake is Tent Camping Only. It may be 1st come 1st serve and no Reservations. The hike around Jenny lake is nice but you can take the fast boat across the lake and then theres a 1+ mile hike to Jenny Lake Falls thats pretty spectacular. I like to camp at Signal Mountain CG. There are lots of nice secluded sites and both laundry and showers at the entrance. This CG is right on Jackson Lake and has amazing views! Fishing across and below the Dam at the Jackson Lake Dam is phenomenal! Last time I was there I caught a 21.5" lake trout and a few more! Damn Fine eating! Coulter Lake CG is much larger and has paid showers and more camping sites than all the other CG's in the Tetons. Drive to the top of Signal Mountain!

Side Note; You can always score campsites at reserved CG's by stopping and asking if there are any cancellations. I did this last time I went through Yellowstone and got a spot at Madison CG which although is somewhat dense as far as tent and RV pull through sites being fairly close to one another. I was exhausted from driving all day then dealing with slow traffic through the park. Madison is also centrally located near the west Yellowstone entrance and the is a fair amount of wildlife in this area. I worked an archaeological dig and stayed in Gov housing in Madison back in the fall and winter of 1995. It was a soldier fort that burned down in 1902 in the Lower Geyser basin. All of the artifacts are stored in the Yellowstone Archival museum at the North end of the park near Mammoth Hot Spring.

Also all NP entrances typically close at 5pm although they leave all gates open. This is a way to gain entrance to the NP's without having to pay an entrance fee. Camping is always a separate cost in the NP's. There are some NF CG's just outside of park entrances and backroads worth exploring too. Like Atherton Creek CG and beyond. That road sucks but theres lots or dispersed camping up past it along river . the road is part of the Gros Ventre Slide area. Geologic history...

I should start my own version of Marty Stoufer's Wild America...
I have 1,000's of pix...
Be the Adventure.

Fullsizeoutput 30b
Fullsizeoutput 316
Fullsizeoutput 30c
Fullsizeoutput 30f
Fullsizeoutput 310
Fullsizeoutput 340
Fullsizeoutput 343
IMG 5078
Fullsizeoutput 322
Fullsizeoutput 326
Fullsizeoutput 329
Fullsizeoutput 324
Fullsizeoutput 31c
IMG 0024
IMG 0025
IMG 0026
IMG 0027
View attachment 76424
Fullsizeoutput 321
Fullsizeoutput 355
Fullsizeoutput 350
Fullsizeoutput 315
Fullsizeoutput 8e9
Fullsizeoutput 2f6

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is why I hate the East...

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My wife and I piled all 4 of our kids in a full size Dodge van and headed west three different times. Spent about three weeks each trip and lived out of the van. Definitely couldn't afford to do it but it is some of the best memories we ever made with our children.

Most of the parks are great. You'll definitely have to endure lots of tourists and other annoying issues. Others have mentioned some great parks but like 100 acre has mentioned, some of the smaller off the beaten track, like Jenny's Lake are spectacular. If I were to pick from all of the parks, I would put Glacier at the top, followed by the Arches, Bryce Canyon and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Each time we took our trips we did not have an agenda and definitely flew by the seat of our pants. The most important thing to remember about a road trip like that is...………. YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN!!!!!

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Grand Canyon
Parissaswampitts in Kaibab NF just off the North Rim is an awesome place to ride and explore. I'll take the north rim anyway over the south.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Parissaswampitts in Kaibab NF just off the North Rim is an awesome place to ride and explore. I'll take the north rim anyway over the south.

Any particular reason why the north rim over the south? I’ve not yet been to either. It is on my to do list thought.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Any particular reason why the north rim over the south? I’ve not yet been to either. It is on my to do list thought.
The north rim is a bit more out of the way, and as such, tends to be less crowded.

The GC is cool. The biggest hole you will ever see. That said, you can only look at a big hole so much. Now...riding down in it on a mule ride...that would be interesting.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The north rim is a bit more out of the way, and as such, tends to be less crowded.

The GC is cool. The biggest hole you will ever see. That said, you can only look at a big hole so much. Now...riding down in it on a mule ride...that would be interesting.

Less people makes sense being that Vegas and AZ seem to be the common tourist starting points for it.

I’ve flown over it (commercial planes not sight seeing) many times and am always amazed at how big it is. Used my air miles and hotel points to send my parents there on their one and only ever vacation 5 or so years ago. Planning a big riding trip for my sons 16th birthday and Utah and surrounding area (GC would be included for sure) are high on the list of possibilities for the trip.

J

JTW

Less people makes sense being that Vegas and AZ seem to be the common tourist starting points for it.

I’ve flown over it (commercial planes not sight seeing) many times and am always amazed at how big it is. Used my air miles and hotel points to send my parents there on their one and only ever vacation 5 or so years ago. Planning a big riding trip for my sons 16th birthday and Utah and surrounding area (GC would be included for sure) are high on the list of possibilities for the trip.
We did Moab a couple times when I was that age. He won’t forget it and neither will you! We went around the first or second week of June. Hit the La Sal mountains while you’re there!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I want to ride at Moab some day as well for sure. Saving up and hoping I can make it a three week epic adventure.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!