P1000m5 Hello from Upstate NY

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi all,

New owner/member here.....I've been lurking for a couple of weeks while I looked for info on a new machine. I finally pulled the trigger yesterday on a P1000-5 Deluxe....red, 2016. I pick it up on Saturday. I'm an avid motorcycle rider, but this is my first off-road machine of any kind since my dirtbike days as a kid. I was looking for something to do some work on our property while we get ready to build and found my way to the Pioneer. We've got 35ish acres to build trails on, but in the short term it'll just be a work machine (dragging brush and trees, pulling a trailer, hauling tools, etc.)....unless we trailer it up to some trails near where my in-laws live up near Tug Hill (NY).

Anyway....love the forum you have here and can't wait to get learned up. The thread on clutch problems gave me pause, but I decided to give it a go (but probably with an extended warranty). I'm not getting anything extra through the dealer right now so I'll keep my eye on the aftermarket and see what the sponsors here have to offer....roof, windshield, winch are on my short-list. I've got some chocks and straps coming for the trailer. Anything else I should be thinking about?

I'm watching the seat heat threads but I'm going to see how things go when it starts to warm up. I like the idea behind the build threads too....great way to get ideas. I'm not that into customizing, but I do like useful add-ons...auxillary lighting and dual battery set-ups come to mind. Good stuff here.

I've got a lot of info to absorb and I'm not in the habit of just jumping into conversations if I don't have anything useful to add, but I'll definitely contribute if I think I can add something to the conversation.

thanks in advance....craig

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you purchased the perfect machine for your situation.

Reactions: sharp and Jshell3
J

Jshell3

Anyway....love the forum you have here and can't wait to get learned up. The thread on clutch problems gave me pause, but I decided to give it a go
That was the biggest hurdle for me, too. I read WAY too much about it...

Ultimately, I figured there were more variables at play than just mileage, tires, and driving style... You never, really know.

People expect different things from their P1K's...
Some wanna ride them to the Cstore for a Coke a Cola, while others desire to climb the tallest mountains or swim the deepest muddiest rivers... that's funny because coincidentally, both those individuals are listed directly above me (above this post)... HA! <-- in fairness, I don't believe either of them have experienced any clutch problems, tho.

Glad you came aboard. I can say this forum is like a big family, but there's a couple Uncles you'll want to steer away from...

Nice avatar, btw @ripHST

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from Arkansas I'm new too. Just trying to absorb some of this knowledge

happy trails

Reactions: sharp
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome aboard from SE Missouri!

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome aboard from GA, this is a great forum with a ton of information and members who are willing to help any way they can!

DPort

DPort

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2017
Lincoln, ME
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from central Maine!
I'm new here too, got my red '16 p-5 last Wed.
There's a lot of info help, and experience on this forum....just look around!
If you don't see what you need....just ask.
Enjoy!

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That was the biggest hurdle for me, too. I read WAY too much about it...

Ultimately, I figured there were more variables at play than just mileage, tires, and driving style... You never, really know.

People expect different things from their P1K's...
Some wanna ride them to the Cstore for a Coke a Cola, while others desire to climb the tallest mountains or swim the deepest muddiest rivers... that's funny because coincidentally, both those individuals are listed directly above me (above this post)... HA! <-- in fairness, I don't believe either of them have experienced any clutch problems, tho.

Glad you came aboard. I can say this forum is like a big family, but there's a couple Uncles you'll want to steer away from...

Nice avatar, btw @ripHST

Yeah.....I read and read and finally decided it was probably the minority of machines out there and I shouldn't worry too much about it. Easy to say now, and I'm not discounting the frustration people rightly felt.....but then I remembered that a big reason I started looking seriously at the Honda was because of all the problems being reported on the Rangers. I've got more faith in Honda as a company than I do most others. My dealer said they've sold 50 and not a single one has come back. They could be lying I suppose....:)

Reactions: Jshell3
advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi all,

New owner/member here.....I've been lurking for a couple of weeks while I looked for info on a new machine. I finally pulled the trigger yesterday on a P1000-5 Deluxe....red, 2016. I pick it up on Saturday. I'm an avid motorcycle rider, but this is my first off-road machine of any kind since my dirtbike days as a kid. I was looking for something to do some work on our property while we get ready to build and found my way to the Pioneer. We've got 35ish acres to build trails on, but in the short term it'll just be a work machine (dragging brush and trees, pulling a trailer, hauling tools, etc.)....unless we trailer it up to some trails near where my in-laws live up near Tug Hill (NY).

Anyway....love the forum you have here and can't wait to get learned up. The thread on clutch problems gave me pause, but I decided to give it a go (but probably with an extended warranty). I'm not getting anything extra through the dealer right now so I'll keep my eye on the aftermarket and see what the sponsors here have to offer....roof, windshield, winch are on my short-list. I've got some chocks and straps coming for the trailer. Anything else I should be thinking about?

I'm watching the seat heat threads but I'm going to see how things go when it starts to warm up. I like the idea behind the build threads too....great way to get ideas. I'm not that into customizing, but I do like useful add-ons...auxillary lighting and dual battery set-ups come to mind. Good stuff here.

I've got a lot of info to absorb and I'm not in the habit of just jumping into conversations if I don't have anything useful to add, but I'll definitely contribute if I think I can add something to the conversation.

Welcome from NWA AR. # 1 on the add ons should be a real skid plate.

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from NWA AR. # 1 on the add ons should be a real skid plate.

Oh yeah? Good to know. I've been looking at the a-arm guards but didn't think about the skid plate. Does it make it hard to service at all? Fluid changes, grease, etc?

Willi

Willi

Oct 25, 2018
Homer NY
Ownership

1. 500
Hi all,

It’s a great forum and I’m glad I found it as well. I’ve been up to Tug Hill a few times, there’s a big group of guys that lease over a 1000 acres with an awesome big old cabin on it.
It’s off Carpenter Td near Turin. Great snowmobiling and good
seasonal road riding with 4wheelers and SxS’s. Wish there was more dirt trails tho, gravelly roads get boring after a while ... but Speed demons love them.
I’ve maintained the logging roads that were here (and added a few).
Enjoy

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!