P500 Help me make my tire and size choice?

Frisco

Frisco

Jan 15, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Ownership

1. 500
  1. I have to keep within the 50" (for the truck bed and my storage shed) Literally no room for more width in the shed.
  2. Do not care about losing some speed,or stiffness of ride.
  3. Want a tough walled tire (want to prevent a flat as much as possible) lots of sharp rocks out here in Norcal
  4. Do ride in some mud (the stock tires have been actually good enough so far). But don't need swampers.
  5. Want to keep stock rims ( I actually like the look of them).
  6. Want bigger tires (not to big- do not want to cut anything). 26" , 28"? something aggressive enough to climb really well.
  7. Don't ride everyday, (maybe twice a month)so wear should not be too much of a issue.

So what style BearClaw, Ripsaw, Bighorn? size for front? size for rear? Which style and size would get close enough to match what I want? thanks everyone!

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go either with Original Bighorn or STI Roctane XD 26" and 9" wide all way around on stock rims

or
Tusk TriloBite HD , a bit budget choice, but has same pattern as BH.

Reactions: KJatNL
I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I've got Artrax CTX radials, 26x9x12 & 26x11x12. Basically, Bighorns knock-offs. I've been very pleased with them so far. Price for all four tires was under $300!

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I like the 26 bearclaw htrs. I'll just warn you that you will get tons of opinions on tires, kinda like the oil threads. you will need 9-10" tires to stay less than 50" I have 11" bearclaws on rear and it is 50.5" 9" would be less than 50"

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
bear claw htr, black diamond xtr, black water evo, pitt bull rocker, big horns, 26" any of them will make you happy.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got Artrax CTX radials, 26x9x12 & 26x11x12. Basically, Bighorns knock-offs. I've been very pleased with them so far. Price for all four tires was under $300!

Thank you for sharing this, I had them in my mind but could bot remember the brand name. I will try them next time I need tires.

I will be curious how many miles you will get on them.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
  1. Want a tough walled tire (want to prevent a flat as much as possible) lots of sharp rocks out here in Norcal
So what style BearClaw, Ripsaw, Bighorn? size for front? size for rear? Which style and size would get close enough to match what I want? thanks everyone!

Also lower your pressure to 6 , this will help more then anything else to prevent puncture.

Frisco

Frisco

Jan 15, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Ownership

1. 500
Also lower your pressure to 6 , this will help more then anything else to prevent puncture.

Great tips and info. thanks. I will keep watching for more comments. Think I will go 26" (height) 9" (width) all around. looks like a decision between bearclaws or the bighorn knock offs.

Reactions: Ollie
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
BH knock offs, they have more universal lug pattern, and even distribution that will give better grip on rocks and quieter ride , to my opinion BC are like tractor mud tires.

Offtopic, every time I look at your avatar with location , I wanna sign: If you're going to San Francisco, Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair. Good song :)

Frisco

Frisco

Jan 15, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Ownership

1. 500
BH knock offs, they have more universal lug pattern, and even distribution that will give better grip on rocks and quieter ride , to my opinion BC are like tractor mud tires.

Offtopic, every time I look at your avatar with location , I wanna sign: If you're going to San Francisco, Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair. Good song :)

Ha ha! Your killing me. But I love it. .....I knew the SF would raise some eyebrows. Although I don't wear flowers or own any bell bottoms. But I would cruise the 500 down Market st. Listining to Darling Dunkechane!

Frisco

Frisco

Jan 15, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Ownership

1. 500
Ha ha! Your killing me. But I love it. .....I knew the SF would raise some eyebrows. Although I don't wear flowers or own any bell bottoms. But I would cruise the 500 down Market st. Listining to Darling Dunkechane!

I'll post a video if I can pull that one off. :D

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Great tips and info. thanks. I will keep watching for more comments. Think I will go 26" (height) 9" (width) all around. looks like a decision between bearclaws or the bighorn knock offs.
Bighorns 26x9 front and 26x11 rears is a good package!

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
Just from tires I know and have had...I had Swamplites and Reptiles (both Interco). great tires and soft but wear fast on hard pack and gravel roads. Mudlites..good tread but had trouble with sidewall slices. Maxxis Zillas, great mud tire but a little uncomfortable on hard pack due to lugs. Carlisle Black Rock, horrible all around.Best all around tire I have had(good on all terrain but not the greatest on any one) is the Kenda Bearclaw HTR's I have now...I had a set on my past RZR too. Love them. I have 27" now and the same on the RZR

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
He needs to stay 50" or <, then 8 and 10" as factory with 26" instead of 24"
Yes, I did too, which is why I stayed with the OEM wheels. I still fit in the bed of the truck, just fine.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
  1. I have to keep within the 50" (for the truck bed and my storage shed) Literally no room for more width in the shed.
  2. Do not care about losing some speed,or stiffness of ride.
  3. Want a tough walled tire (want to prevent a flat as much as possible) lots of sharp rocks out here in Norcal
  4. Do ride in some mud (the stock tires have been actually good enough so far). But don't need swampers.
  5. Want to keep stock rims ( I actually like the look of them).
  6. Want bigger tires (not to big- do not want to cut anything). 26" , 28"? something aggressive enough to climb really well.
  7. Don't ride everyday, (maybe twice a month)so wear should not be too much of a issue.
You'll still fit in the bed of the truck with Bighorn 26x9/26x11.

scottp500

scottp500

Jun 24, 2015
I'm getting ready to get some tires also, either bighorns or bearclaws. But will a taller tire make the machine more tippy than it already is or will the extra width offset that?

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I'm getting ready to get some tires also, either bighorns or bearclaws. But will a taller tire make the machine more tippy than it already is or will the extra width offset that?
I have 26X9X12/26X11X12s, and I see not tippiness at all.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!