Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I did what @CumminsPusher did with one of his builds. I picked up a bare Warn 4500 winch ($229 now but I think I paid closer to $200) and just added a contactor I had sitting around and put an amazon synthetic rope on it. I believe this is still one of the better ways to go and you still get a brand new warn winch. Looks like it comes from Montana Jacks that everyone talks about.
Warn 89604 ProVantage 4500 Replacement Winch, Bare Winch only | eBay
Ya I noticed they went up a little bit unfortunately, still a good way to save a little though:)
Both of the PV4500’s on the Pioneer done this way work excellent still, haven’t broken anything but the line yet and the rear has been on 4 different machines. Yami 3500 works good too, no regrets on winch choice.

Reactions: tjoreo
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@CumminsPusher Like I told all my riding buddies if "the guy up north" did it, it's the best way to go and works really well. On my 700 I had a champion winch I picked up at costco. It worked well for what I need, mostly snow plowing, but when I went with my 1000 I looked at your recommendation and it was about identical in price but you get the Warn. Like I said I had a spare contactor sitting around when warn had a recall on their atv winch contactors a few years ago. I added a synthetic rope from amazon and bought a set of 4ga jumper cables to run it. I know I have less then $300 in it, not counting the winch plate. My biggest problem was the winch hook. I bought what I thought was a Warn hook off amazon, but all I got was the red strap that said "Warn" on it. Make sure you read the whole listing. I next decided to buy a aftermarket hook from amazon in red to match my setup. When I got it, I believe it is the same hook they would use on a 50 ton crane to lift things. It was HEAVY duty but way to goddy to put on the rig. Finally found the right Warn hook, but still haven't put it on yet. It really is a good setup and reasonably priced. Thanks for taking care of us.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well thank you sir!
I guess I do tend to break crap so when it holds up it’s a safe bet lol.

Reactions: TripleB and tjoreo
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Pioneer 1000 = very heavy.

4500 isn't the biggest out there. I went with the Axon 55S. 4500 is probably fine, but I figured if I was spending an arm and a leg on a winch I might as well destroy the budget.

If you find yourself deciding between an Axon and something else that's a bit cheaper, consider the ease of installation with the Axon. On my setup, I only have two large wires. They go directly from the winch to the second battery, and are probably less than 2' long. The shorter the wires, the less resistance you have and resistance is lost power. I think that is a huge benefit to the Axon that doesn't get mentioned.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did what @CumminsPusher did with one of his builds. I picked up a bare Warn 4500 winch ($229 now but I think I paid closer to $200) and just added a contactor I had sitting around and put an amazon synthetic rope on it. I believe this is still one of the better ways to go and you still get a brand new warn winch. Looks like it comes from Montana Jacks that everyone talks about.
Warn 89604 ProVantage 4500 Replacement Winch, Bare Winch only | eBay

That's a good price for sure.

HondaLo

HondaLo

Formerly Angelo
Lifetime Member
Apr 23, 2019
Harrison michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just went with a venom 6000 on ebay. 329.00 comes with mounted bracket. Synthetic line.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ViperMax 5500 died within a year due to water...never even swamped!

I run a Tera 45 now and it pulls circles around the Viper....

I did repair the Viper for use on the rear.

Reactions: ToddACimer
JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well ehart814 will be happy to know that I decided to go with the Axon 45S. I looked at the 55 and noticed that it pulled the same amps at load, just slower. I suspect it is exactly the same winch, just with lower gearing to get to 5500#. If I need to pull that hard I'll use a snatch block. Speed matters too.

Not sure what's up at Amazon but the unit was 538 plus tax including everything I need to install (except the battery). I couldn't pass on that price. Ordered the 93790 mount plate also. I did like the idea of less clutter under my hood with no contactor. Going to add a second battery and the true add a battery/voltage monitor kit sold here at the store (with the Black Friday discount). Now I just have to wait.....

Reactions: CumminsPusher
JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
sjc3081, any installation tips or pitfalls given the tightness?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!