P500 HELP. P500 DOWN

ChuckIII

ChuckIII

Jul 25, 2015
Oil is good. The only thing crazy was before I went riding it didn't want to crank like the battery was dead. Than all of a sudden it started and was fine. It's done that 2 or 3 times. I have checked all the wires plugs. I'm lost right now. Yesterday I just started it didn't move it at all and the Speedo would read 2 then 0 then 22 then 3 it was all over.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
D

Deleted member 3748

I have some thoughts, but it's just guessing and you're going to the dealer tomorrow so let's see what they have to say. Good luck and let us know what they have to say.

ChuckIII

ChuckIII

Jul 25, 2015
If you have some thoughts let me know I would rather not go to the dealer.

D

Deleted member 3748

You already checked your grounds and battery cables so those are good. Now I'm wondering if something is wet. Have you checked around the ECU? Reseat those connections and maybe put something on the connectors. I'd say di-electric grease on the connectors but I want to do some research and make sure that's okay.

EDIT: Dielectric is okay to use on the ECU connectors. Use a small amount so the connector can connect and seat securely. I have also used WD-40 as a temporary ECU fix on my sister's minivan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: trigger
ChuckIII

ChuckIII

Jul 25, 2015
I already unplugged the ecu and put it back in. I made sure the ground was good cleaned it up. I think I might have a dead short somewhere by the way the Speedo was acting

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Well , you have eliminated the easy fix (battery) , good luck . Hope you find an even easier fix . To bad they don't have an obd2 plug . You could just swing by auto zone and have them scan it . Sure curious .

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would stay away from WD - 40 for EVERYTHING except turning metal dark. Lousy product. Only use on cars would be if you have a bad set of spark plug wires that are wet, it will displace water but then you have a terrible clean up.

Definitely sounds like a short somewhere giving you intermittent surges.

ChuckIII

ChuckIII

Jul 25, 2015
Thanks for everyone's help and ideas I'll keep everyone informed how it goes.

C

Chooglin

Hopefully you just got a bad power commander and they will replace it for you.

advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Had a similar strange display and limp home mode when I overadjusted the clutch for smoother shifting, backed off a little and it was OK. Likely not your problem but just saying the transmission can play games on the display/computer.

Pawnman87

Pawnman87

Oct 4, 2015
Murfreesboro, Ar
Ownership

1. 500
i had a similar issue with my p500 the gauges were doing the same thing and it ended up being a gear position sensor on the back side of the motor behind the rear drive shaft. ordered a new one slapped it in there and she came back to life!

C

Chooglin

That's good news @ChuckIII , glad it wasn't anything major...........ride on !

J

Johnsee

Jul 3, 2017
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Careful . I had similar problem on my Honda Rubicon . Auto Zone and O'Rileys both tested it and said it was good . Not believing them , I took it to Polaris dealer , they tested it with the correct equipment and guess what ,? They said it was stone cold junk . Being happy that a battery could cure my sick Rubicon I bought one from them (more expensive than other places) and it was a MIRACLE ! My Rubicon was fixed !
diito. have had bad batteries test good from parts stores.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!