P1000 Help! Throttle Cable Damaged

dlmjr9

dlmjr9

Aug 29, 2019
Fuquay Varina, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hoping for some help (and no smartass answers)....

Last night while extending my vent lines, my buddy was helping me and instead of cutting the front diff hose to "T" into the line from the fan, he accidentally partially cut the throttle cable (he's not mechanical, but I needed help with that and other things). Complete misunderstanding when I told him what to cut. Also, assuming it's the throttle cable.

Anyway, I stopped him from going all the way through. Can I drive it as is? Can it be repaired, or should I order a replacement.

I'm hoping you guys can help me with what part I need from Babbits, PartZilla, etc, and is it something I can do myself? We have a big ride coming up next week (Wed - Sun) in West Virginia.

Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated!

VKST14711

VKST14711

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Last night while extending my vent lines, my buddy was helping me and instead of cutting the front diff hose to "T" into the line from the fan, he accidentally partially cut the throttle cable (he's not mechanical, but I needed help with that and other things). Complete misunderstanding when I told him what to cut. Also, assuming it's the throttle cable.

Anyway, I stopped him from going all the way through. Can I drive it as is? Can it be repaired, or should I order a replacement.

I'm hoping you guys can help me with what part I need from Babbits, PartZilla, etc, and is it something I can do myself? We have a big ride coming up next week (Wed - Sun) in West Virginia.

View attachment 188054

View attachment 188054
Over time it is going to get gummed up with dirt/grime/crap, but in the short term you are fine to run it. I'd get a replacement ordered and replace it when it comes in if it was me personally as throttles cables are usually cheap. I've not done one on a Pioneer, but I've done several on atv's/dirtbikes over the years. They aren't hard at all, but sometimes there is a fair amount of stuff that has to be taken off or at least loose along the cables path.

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 188054

View attachment 188054
Dang it!!! I was just getting ready to ask you if you cussed you helper when I saw the part that said (no smartass answers.) Oh well. Good luck with your repair.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd personally replace it asap.
Depending on how kinked the inner cable is, it could lead to a stuck open throttle while in use.
I'll get a link/screenshot momentarily for you.

Reactions: MMW
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Google the part number, might find it in stock somewhere.

dlmjr9

dlmjr9

Aug 29, 2019
Fuquay Varina, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 188102
View attachment 188103

Google the part number, might find it in stock somewhere.

Thanks Neohio! I'm guessing I just need to order "#7"? How hard to do this myself? Local shop said it shouldn't be too bad (don't have to take up the floor, etc). They also suggested a temp fix of filling the cut/hole with dielectric grease and wrap tightly with electrical tape till I could replace completely. Just makes me nervous knowing I'll be in WV out in the middle of nowhere and don't want to encounter a problem.

MikeyXX

MikeyXX

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2019
Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Can
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My experience would be to make sure it moves smoothly still. And if so, put clear sillicon on it and wrap with quality weather resistant tape. Or heat shrink tape.
If there is a bind, I'd pinch it with plyers length wise of the wound to open up the internal metal sheath (if exists) and back to the wrap process.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!