Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2017
Twin Lakes (Crescent), OK
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
After getting my machine back from the dealership after its scheduled maintenance, I began to notice that upshifting (2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th) was more hesitant than I remember. Wasn't it pretty much instantaneous before? Now it seems like it has to think about it for about 1 second. I took it back to the dealer because it wasn't starting. They replaced the fuel pump and said that might fix the hesitant shifting issue (thinking it wasn't getting enough fuel), but the hesitation is still there.

Any ideas what might cause that?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
After getting my machine back from the dealership after its scheduled maintenance, I began to notice that upshifting (2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th) was more hesitant than I remember. Wasn't it pretty much instantaneous before? Now it seems like it has to think about it for about 1 second. I took it back to the dealer because it wasn't starting. They replaced the fuel pump and said that might fix the hesitant shifting issue (thinking it wasn't getting enough fuel), but the hesitation is still there.

Any ideas what might cause that?
Try adjusting the clutch.
Does the battery seem OK? ESP shifting is sensitive to dying batteries. Try unhooking it (an adventure in and of itself) to let everything relearn.

Also...i haven't paid much attention lately, but shortly after getting my 500, i noticed that after a mid ride break, the shifts tended to be a little more prolonged for the 1st few shifts. Think it probably and oil bathing thing with the plates.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
After getting my machine back from the dealership after its scheduled maintenance, I began to notice that upshifting (2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th) was more hesitant than I remember. Wasn't it pretty much instantaneous before? Now it seems like it has to think about it for about 1 second. I took it back to the dealer because it wasn't starting. They replaced the fuel pump and said that might fix the hesitant shifting issue (thinking it wasn't getting enough fuel), but the hesitation is still there. Any ideas what might cause that?

Hum... fuel pump and shifting issues.... I'm confident you are better off here for assistance, LOL...

Two things come to mind, especially given the advice given to you from the dealer:

1) Check the oil level per the manual. I suspect it is overfilled creating additional internal pressure, but could be wrong.

2) Consider adjusting the clutch, fellow member from here

see

D

Duckhunt

I had a good hesitation when I did a final gear swap and had to space the speed sensor a certain amount. You could hear it shift mechanically but took a very noticeable amount of time (1 second?) for it to get back into the throttle. My speedo was erratic too. Obviously in no shape or form should a scheduled service have anything to do with monkeying with your speed sensor, I'm just pointing out that the electronic shifting is linked to your speed sensor readings. So if you too have a skipping or erratic speedo, maybe somehow someway the speed sensor or wires got damaged. (You also had starting issues which is electrical so just sayin) Just a check to cross off!

But I'd definitely follow everyone else's advice on oil level and clutch adjustment first.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and BWAF
H

HondaTech

Assuming they did a full service, then it most likely got a clutch adjustment and was adjusted too tight. The Honda adjustment works perfect for every other model except the P500. Since it's an auto that shifts using a ignition interrupter the clutch adjustment should be a little looser normally.

Anytime I do a clutch adjustment, I always test ride afterwards to "fine-tune" the feel and shifting action.

J

JTW

Assuming they did a full service, then it most likely got a clutch adjustment and was adjusted too tight. The Honda adjustment works perfect for every other model except the P500. Since it's an auto that shifts using a ignition interrupter the clutch adjustment should be a little looser normally.

Anytime I do a clutch adjustment, I always test ride afterwards to "fine-tune" the feel and shifting action.
And that’s the difference in a good tech and somebody just collecting a paycheck!

H

HondaTech

And that’s the difference in a good tech and somebody just collecting a paycheck!

I dont like comebacks and customer complaints, it makes my job harder. Why do it twice if I can do it right the first time. I understand some guys are flat rate and cant afford to play around all day.

Heck I know dealerships where techs dont even drive any units at all. It get put on the bench, fixed and taken off.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Fyi. Delayed shifting issue @BuckCreek01 ? Anyone have a delayed engagement on downshifting?

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
Fyi. Delayed shifting issue @BuckCreek01 ? Anyone have a delayed engagement on downshifting?

Dealing with two shifting problems and not sure what to do.

1. During a hill climb if I downshift my P5, it shuts off for a couple of seconds or more. Almost like turning off the key for a moment. It is not the rev limiter. Never noticed this before the Houston Valley ride with @Mudder but never did much hill climbing. Example, started to climb a hill in 3rd gear, it started to bog so I downshifted to 2nd gear and it shut off. Basically my P5 stopped and slightly started to roll back before the engine picked back up. This was a pucker moment for me. This happened several times during our ride so I learned to pick 2nd gear before starting the incline and not shift until hill completed and had no issues. Being new to the area and trails, I was not sure what gear to use but think I should be able to downshift if needed.

After returning home and riding on my land, I was not able to duplicate this problem. I ran the P5 hard but do not have any major hills available. At this point, I was confused and not sure if a clutch adjustment or something else was wrong. I started to question all of my P5 shifting patterns and asked @Mudder for advice. This brings me to issue #2.

2. Since new, my P5 has always hesitated to downshift and thought this was normal. If just coasting and downshift, I can hear the clunk sound of the transmission but several seconds later I actually feel the unit pull back and rpm's rise. After experiencing Issue #1, I asked @Mudder how his P5 shifts in this situation. He stated that his unit has a very small delay maybe .5 seconds. With my P5 it is more like a guessing game when it actually will downshift.

H

HondaTech

The downshifting "wait" can be alleviated with a clutch adjustment as well. But I can never seem to get rid of it entirely before upshifting stalls become an issue.

D

Duckhunt

The downshifting "wait" can be alleviated with a clutch adjustment as well. But I can never seem to get rid of it entirely before upshifting stalls become an issue.
@HondaTech I am just curious have you seen @BuckCreek01 issues before? I'm simply just curious. Seems strange to me. Only reason I ask when I had my issues no matter how I adjusted the clutch, whether it "clunked" so hard into gear or was the longest, softest shift ever it would always delay after the mechanical shift before firing again. So that's when I started to look electronically. I guess I'm asking what needs to happen electronically and what needs to be seen ECU wise to complete the shift function, upshift and downshift? I appreciate your insight!!!!!

H

HondaTech

I would assume the ECM only cuts ignition when it sees a upshift or downshift switch actuated and the vehicle is at speed.

This makes sense, the ECM doesnt cut power when shifting in/out of neutral or reverse. It has to detect speed to initiate cutting power for the shift.

Do you have auto equipped 500? If so, does this problem persist in both auto and manual mode?

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
I would assume the ECM only cuts ignition when it sees a upshift or downshift switch actuated and the vehicle is at speed.

This makes sense, the ECM doesnt cut power when shifting in/out of neutral or reverse. It has to detect speed to initiate cutting power for the shift.

Do you have auto equipped 500? If so, does this problem persist in both auto and manual mode?

2018 and auto equipped. The downshift delay happens in auto and manual when coasting. As far as the hill climb in auto, I never tried that. Ran in manual and if downshifting on a hill climb my unit would shut down. The hill climb shut down when shifting is my major concern.

Last edited:
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Dealing with two shifting problems and not sure what to do.

1. During a hill climb if I downshift my P5, it shuts off for a couple of seconds or more. Almost like turning off the key for a moment. It is not the rev limiter. Never noticed this before the Houston Valley ride with @Mudder but never did much hill climbing. Example, started to climb a hill in 3rd gear, it started to bog so I downshifted to 2nd gear and it shut off. Basically my P5 stopped and slightly started to roll back before the engine picked back up. This was a pucker moment for me. This happened several times during our ride so I learned to pick 2nd gear before starting the incline and not shift until hill completed and had no issues. Being new to the area and trails, I was not sure what gear to use but think I should be able to downshift if needed.

After returning home and riding on my land, I was not able to duplicate this problem. I ran the P5 hard but do not have any major hills available. At this point, I was confused and not sure if a clutch adjustment or something else was wrong. I started to question all of my P5 shifting patterns and asked @Mudder for advice. This brings me to issue #2.

2. Since new, my P5 has always hesitated to downshift and thought this was normal. If just coasting and downshift, I can hear the clunk sound of the transmission but several seconds later I actually feel the unit pull back and rpm's rise. After experiencing Issue #1, I asked @Mudder how his P5 shifts in this situation. He stated that his unit has a very small delay maybe .5 seconds. With my P5 it is more like a guessing game when it actually will downshift.
Mine did the same thing to me 3 times (issue #1) while at the dunes last week - always while climbing. I'm curious about this too.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Re rode the same H Valley hills today and confirmed my downshift on hills was only a very short engagement (one one thousand count). Still think a clutch adjustment would be a first effort to try for their issue. Did the clutch adjustment a year ago and no adjustments needed since. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!