DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 2015 downshift under power (like climbing) has always seemed to have the clutch disengaged longer under heavy throttle. My ASSumption was that "the computer" was using throttle input in the decision, and Honda had programmed it to make extra sure that a downshift is achieved in this situation, since it could be hairy if it failed.

Maybe i'm wrong, but next time i go out, I'll try and pay more attention to this.

D

Duckhunt

Mine's a 2015 too. Even when I had my self-inflicted up-shifting issues my downshifts were always instant. But I too haven't paid attention on the few steep hills I've climbed. Might have to wait until spring - lots of our trails close for snowmobiling which is fine! - but I can't wait to go to the steepest hill and downshift halfway up.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I believe what he's describing is the same thing that happened to me last week. The pedal is to the floor in 3rd gear. I quickly "blip" the paddle to downshift to 2nd gear and the power cuts for 2-3 times longer than usual, with one tiny sputter in the middle, then the motor reawakens. Problem is, in the sand you cannot afford to lose momentum/power for that long - you're done. So it only happened to me 3 times during an entire day of duning, but when it did happen I had to back down the hill and start over. I caught this occasion on video...listen closely...:

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I should clarify then when I say downshifting under high demands, the shift seems to happen pretty much normally, but the clutch seems to take a touch longer to re engage.
Like they are Leaving extra time to make sure it grabs the gear.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I should clarify then when I say downshifting under high demands, the shift seems to happen pretty much normally, but the clutch seems to take a touch longer to re engage.
Like they are Leaving extra time to make sure it grabs the gear.
Sidenote...we still need to meet up and ride sometime.

Reactions: DG Rider
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I believe what he's describing is the same thing that happened to me last week. The pedal is to the floor in 3rd gear. I quickly "blip" the paddle to downshift to 2nd gear and the power cuts for 2-3 times longer than usual, with one tiny sputter in the middle, then the motor reawakens. Problem is, in the sand you cannot afford to lose momentum/power for that long - you're done. So it only happened to me 3 times during an entire day of duning, but when it did happen I had to back down the hill and start over. I caught this occasion on video...listen closely...:
Good that you caught this on video, would be good to send to Honda for a reply.

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500

Excellent, you have captured this on video. This is exactly my issue also!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah...thats never happened on mine thus far. Almost sounded like a dirty contact on the paddle or something.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Assuming they did a full service, then it most likely got a clutch adjustment and was adjusted too tight. The Honda adjustment works perfect for every other model except the P500. Since it's an auto that shifts using a ignition interrupter the clutch adjustment should be a little looser normally.

Anytime I do a clutch adjustment, I always test ride afterwards to "fine-tune" the feel and shifting action.
This was my thinking,too.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah...thats never happened on mine thus far. Almost sounded like a dirty contact on the paddle or something.
It has never happened to me any other time in 137 miles - it only happened that morning at the sand dunes, while climbing steep hills under full throttle, and every time it was going from 3rd gear to 2nd gear. Again, as stated previously, it was not a big "issue" for me, because we rode the dunes hard all day. But, it did happen three separate times, so it's on my radar. But, it has never happened any other time/day.

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
It has never happened to me any other time in 137 miles - it only happened that morning at the sand dunes, while climbing steep hills under full throttle, and every time it was going from 3rd gear to 2nd gear. Again, as stated previously, it was not a big "issue" for me, because we rode the dunes hard all day. But, it did happen three separate times, so it's on my radar. But, it has never happened any other time/day.

I hope we can figure this out soon. My P5 did it every time when in a climb and shifting. I really do not want to take my unit to the dealer.

Last edited:
BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
Guess I will try adjusting the clutch. Since this problem only happened at Houston Valley OHV during hill climbing and shifting, I will go there but it is a 3 hour drive. If the clutch adjustment does not fix the issue, back to dealer it goes.

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I am a new rider, I have never even seen a sand dune, and my mechanical skills are worse than non-existent .......however.......
I have noticed that the one thing in common with all of the reports is the machine is always heading uphill, never on the flat or downhill.
Is it possible that the oil level causes this problem??

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
I am a new rider, I have never even seen a sand dune, and my mechanical skills are worse than non-existent .......however.......
I have noticed that the one thing in common with all of the reports is the machine is always heading uphill, never on the flat or downhill.
Is it possible that the oil level causes this problem??

I am almost religious when it comes to oil changes and oil level. I check the oil level per manual instructions. The P5 is different because the manual says to not screw in the the dipstick when checking oil level. Is this the correct way?

As far as the hill angle and possible oil level change, I have no idea. Only two P5 owners I know of are experiencing this problem. Maybe more but don't know of them.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Did you ever attempt to contact Honda with link Mudder provided, and get that video to them??
No. But I'm going to now because it did it to me again ONE time during our 2-hour ride this past Saturday. Again, I was climbing a steep hill in 4x4 and had the throttle pinned, went to shift from 2nd to 3rd and it did the stutter. It's not causing me distress or anything, and the easiest way around it is not to shift on a steep climb under full throttle...but I think it's worth looking into.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No. But I'm going to now because it did it to me again ONE time during our 2-hour ride this past Saturday. Again, I was climbing a steep hill in 4x4 and had the throttle pinned, went to shift from 2nd to 3rd and it did the stutter. It's not causing me distress or anything, and the easiest way around it is not to shift on a steep climb under full throttle...but I think it's worth looking into.
Ok, well good luck and do post the results... :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!