P500 Hesitant (paddle) shifting

natewheeldrive

natewheeldrive

May 21, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Ownership

1. 500
Happy for you that the problem is corrected. I have always hated this type of fix as I want to know where and how. Drives me crazy. I have been known to go over the system several times trying to duplicate the problem so I know the fix for future reference. As I get older I have become better at accepting.

Thats what I told my wife. I hate not knowing why. I enjoy figuring out the problem as much as I do fixing it. I mean i’d rather have none at all, but... Its getting colder again here in PA, I will report back if anything comes up again or if I cant get the clutch dialed in. I think I did a clutch adjustment on my 300 Fourtrax 1 time in who knows how many miles, This 500 seems much more finicky but I guess im comparing a foot shift to an electric servo shift also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

natewheeldrive

natewheeldrive

May 21, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Ownership

1. 500
Another update: Its still slipping when i shift in auto or manual, doesnt matter if you let off the gas or not. I tried setting the clutch a little tighter by not turning the screw a full quarter turn clockwise after resistance with ni change. Its ran great for 600 miles and this just starts out of nowhere. I cant figure it out so it is for sure going to my dealer. I purchased a Honda extended warranty, so i hope something is wrong that will be covered.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Another update: Its still slipping when i shift in auto or manual, doesnt matter if you let off the gas or not. I tried setting the clutch a little tighter by not turning the screw a full quarter turn clockwise after resistance with ni change. Its ran great for 600 miles and this just starts out of nowhere. I cant figure it out so it is for sure going to my dealer. I purchased a Honda extended warranty, so i hope something is wrong that will be covered.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
One thought... when you check your oil level, are you screwing the dipstick all the way in or just sitting it on top of the hole? The manual says to just dip it in the hole. If you're screwing it in, the engine is always low on oil, which would cause shifting or slipping issues.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Another update: Its still slipping when i shift in auto or manual, doesnt matter if you let off the gas or not. I tried setting the clutch a little tighter by not turning the screw a full quarter turn clockwise after resistance with ni change. Its ran great for 600 miles and this just starts out of nowhere. I cant figure it out so it is for sure going to my dealer. I purchased a Honda extended warranty, so i hope something is wrong that will be covered. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These little guys are durable and seriously doubt anything is wrong with the unit. I'm confident between you/dealer this will get adjusted correctly....

T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
One thought... when you check your oil level, are you screwing the dipstick all the way in or just sitting it on top of the hole? The manual says to just dip it in the hole. If you're screwing it in, the engine is always low on oil, which would cause shifting or slipping issues.

I think a lot of folks are not aware of this, and it’s not just this machine. My motorcycle that has a Rotax engine in it is the same way.

natewheeldrive

natewheeldrive

May 21, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Ownership

1. 500

No I just set the stick in the hole. I even went as far as leveling the machine with a jack and a level because I dont have exactly a level surface to park it on. It measured up to a little over 3/4 to the top of the marks.

H

HondaTech

Since adjusting the clutch seems to fix it for awhile, it might be something in the linkage or clutch that is loosening up after a short time and causing the issue to reappear.

I wonder if maybe also it could be a shift motor problem causing intermittent shifting problems. The way these P500's are set up as automatics could potentially cause some weird issues, since it's essentially a Electric Shift that cuts ignition for a split second to allow shifting. Could also be a combination of the 2 systems not talking to 1 another.

D

DT620

Mar 19, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Any update on this? Mines doing the same thing, but mine only has 40 miles on it. I took it to the dealer and they said it did not have a stored code, and it shifted fine for them. I drove the crap out of it in the parking lot and it drove great. Once I got it back home it started doing the same thing again. I’m taking it back to the dealer today.

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
I still have the issue but have no time or desire to deal with it now. I highly doubt my dealership could diagnose this problem because it only happens sometimes on a steep hill climb and shifting. @Mudder offered to help me adjust the clutch to rule that out.

Last edited:
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Any update on this? Mines doing the same thing, but mine only has 40 miles on it. I took it to the dealer and they said it did not have a stored code, and it shifted fine for them. I drove the crap out of it in the parking lot and it drove great. Once I got it back home it started doing the same thing again. I’m taking it back to the dealer today.
Mine still does it when climbing steeply at full throttle and shifting between 2-3.

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
Assuming they did a full service, then it most likely got a clutch adjustment and was adjusted too tight. The Honda adjustment works perfect for every other model except the P500. Since it's an auto that shifts using a ignition interrupter the clutch adjustment should be a little looser normally.

Anytime I do a clutch adjustment, I always test ride afterwards to "fine-tune" the feel and shifting action.
Thanks, good advice. Does it matter if the adjustment is done on a cold or warm engine?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!