P500 Hesitation

J

JonnF3

Oct 25, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Just purchased a new 2019 P500. Each time I start it, I let it warm up a bit. However, once I get it in gear and take off it hesitated like it’s starved for fuel then lurches forward and hesitates again. Any ideas?

Reactions: DG Rider
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
When I was doing a clutch adjustment, I went too far and caused mine to briefly die out like that, like the engine retard during shifts was kicking in. Re-adjusted to sweet spot and been fine since. If adjustment doesn’t fix it, warranty service?
P500 - Pioneer 500 Clutch Adjustment (Video)

Last edited:
Reactions: JonnF3
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just purchased a new 2019 P500. Each time I start it, I let it warm up a bit. However, once I get it in gear and take off it hesitated like it’s starved for fuel then lurches forward and hesitates again. Any ideas?
Is this also happening in manual mode?

If it's only in auto, then it's prob just not pulling off the shift and it's the ignition cut out your feeling. Those 1st couple of shifts are always notchy, regardless, but as @Mudder said, clutch adjustments on these can make a word of difference.

J

JonnF3

Oct 25, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Is this also happening in manual mode?

If it's only in auto, then it's prob just not pulling off the shift and it's the ignition cut out your feeling. Those 1st couple of shifts are always notchy, regardless, but as @Mudder said, clutch adjustments on these can make a word of difference.
To be honest, I haven't tried it in manual. I’m gonna try the clutch adjustment and recheck. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: Mudder
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum from Canton, OH. Post up a pic of the new ride. Hopefully it is red, because that is the fastest color Honda makes.
[HASHTAG]#NTC[/HASHTAG]

Reactions: Mudwing
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
From what I've read, new ones can be prone to a shifting glitch. Mine has done it two or three times. Not sure if what you are describing is the same. Basically, it won't upshift and the digital dash shows a dash instead of a gear number, as I recall.

There's a post or two about it, I think.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!