honda 1000-3 full cab w/heat. dust/cold problems

Fnrhinorider

Fnrhinorider

May 1, 2019
manitoba
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello all, new Member. I have a 2016 pioneer 1000-3, w/ mattracks and tires obviously. this fall I installed Honda full hard cab w/heat. I am from southern Manitoba Canada, so it is extremely cold at times, I use the machine for ice fishing, hunting, cruising etc. I have read over some of the fixes for the "draft" coming through the shifter holes, is the only fix the shifter plate cover? does it actually stop 100% of the wind that comes through? as I am very disappointed in the setup, the cold air that comes through by far exceeds the heat it puts out. it is very aggravating, I have stuffed everything right full behind the dash with rags, covered with cat tarp, put foam over the opening. I've tried almost everything to keep the "cold" out. so far very disappointed, but would like to remedy the issue if there is one. any help would be greatly appreciated!

57489120498  979FBF92 BA04 4206 A09C FF81A1558D9E

Reactions: toddvdh and Vikes79
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey welcome to the forum!

I have done some of the sealing on my soft cab.

Here is my work I have done so far.
P1000 - Vikes79 Hardwater Honda build

The biggest thing I learned on the ice was that need to seriously figure out how to get more heat out of my after market heater. Currently the coolant goes to the radiator and the heater core. I’m going to isolate all coolant to just the heater core.

Secondly and more importantly my heater is drawing out side air. If the core can only deliver a 40F rise, it’s still cold at -20F outside air. I have a plan to pull air from the cab using a bilge fan or sealing up the space under the seat and placing marine intake vents on the wall in the cab. I won’t do much on this till winter.

Reactions: Eltobgi
Fnrhinorider

Fnrhinorider

May 1, 2019
manitoba
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey welcome to the forum!

I have done some of the sealing on my soft cab.

Here is my work I have done so far.
P1000 - Vikes79 Hardwater Honda build

The biggest thing I learned on the ice was that need to seriously figure out how to get more heat out of my after market heater. Currently the coolant goes to the radiator and the heater core. I’m going to isolate all coolant to just the heater core.

Secondly and more importantly my heater is drawing out side air. If the core can only deliver a 40F rise, it’s still cold at -20F outside air. I have a plan to pull air from the cab using a bilge fan or sealing up the space under the seat and placing marine intake vents on the wall in the cab. I won’t do much on this till winter.
that is a good idea! I find that the heat from my heater is good and hot, it (A)-doesn not blow hard enough... and (B)-the draft from the dash-mostly the shifter holes is just to much to keep it warm in there, but sucking inside air would be a good way to get even a little more out of it. but like I said I have in behind the dash, stuck right full of rags, lots of them, and then I put cat tarp taped in wherever I could get at, with another layer of cat tarp in behind the rad up to fenders etc. cut around lines and what not to combat the wind, it seems to still get through the hood panel, headlights etc. there just seems to be now way to get that sealed without tearing the whole front end apart... its driving me nuts I have been to the drawing board many times, now it being oncoming summer I was hoping to keep the cab on, but now dust seems to be an issue as well, so maybe have to remove for summer go back to half windshield/mesh back-seems to work best for me. unless can get some positive pressure in cab somehow to keep dust from rushing up the rear.

Reactions: Vikes79
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly I will be pulling everything but the roof for the summer. I’ll get a wind screen for the front to keep the bugs at bay.

Keeping the cab on causes way too many other issues.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I'm experimenting now on a shifter fix. Someone here, I can't remember who, suggested an inverted shifter boot. I have mine tore down to the frame now. Shifter boot came in Friday. I'll know if it works early in the week hopefully.

Reactions: dplude
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I’m sure that will do the trick, one advantage being, no disassembly required. I would prefer a hidden fix. We’ll see.

D

dplude

Sep 20, 2021
duluth mn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all, new Member. I have a 2016 pioneer 1000-3, w/ mattracks and tires obviously. this fall I installed Honda full hard cab w/heat. I am from southern Manitoba Canada, so it is extremely cold at times, I use the machine for ice fishing, hunting, cruising etc. I have read over some of the fixes for the "draft" coming through the shifter holes, is the only fix the shifter plate cover? does it actually stop 100% of the wind that comes through? as I am very disappointed in the setup, the cold air that comes through by far exceeds the heat it puts out. it is very aggravating, I have stuffed everything right full behind the dash with rags, covered with cat tarp, put foam over the opening. I've tried almost everything to keep the "cold" out. so far very disappointed, but would like to remedy the issue if there is one. any help would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 126447
Any tips on keeping the cold out?

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 126447
I know this is old but did you come up with any fix? I'm in the same boat and I don't want to take the whole dash out to fix it.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I know this is old but did you come up with any fix? I'm in the same boat and I don't want to take the whole dash out to fix it.
You are correct, Its old. In fact a 3 year old thread. If u check his profile, he hasnt been on in 3 years shortly after his last post here. so I think your gonna be hard pressed for an answer from him.

Try using the search up top and be patient, It wont just pop up on the first page lol.

Reactions: ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!