Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
No, I actually got the definition from an article on ConsumerFinanceMonitor.com. Your description wasn't in line with what I remember being told, so I looked it up. But, hey, I'll take your word for it - you learn something new every day.

Also, NADA.org describes it the same way I did in a publication titled Fair Credit Compliance POLICY & PROGRAM:

On March 21, 2013, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (“CFPB”) issued a fair lending guidance bulletin to indirect auto finance sources (which the CFPB refers to as indirect auto lenders) stating “that certain lenders that offer auto loans through dealerships are responsible for unlawful, discriminatory pricing” and that lender policies “that allow auto dealers to mark up lender established buy rates and that compensate dealers [for originating credit contracts] in the form of dealer [participation]” create a “significant risk” of fair lending violations.5
Actually your article refers to points. Points being where a lending institution say in the automobile or housing market has a buy rate from their lender and they have the ability to raise the rate, and bank the difference. You're also dealing in larger sums financed where a small bump in the rate can be very profitable. Of course it also refers to implied racism where some may single out minorities and charge them more than say someone who may be more experienced or educated. Automobile dealers are also known to sell extended warranties, gap insurance, paint sealant and the like for inflated costs in these sorts of situations as well. Honda Finance (Not affiliated with their Automotive financing product) is an arm used by Honda and its dealers to facilitate the sale of their products. They have a published rate on their site. Often a dealer is required to participate in these sorts of programs. Ever wonder why the cash price for something is less than the financed price? Lower interest rates sell more product. Read your article again and digest the meaning of the article. Dealer participation is a monetary sum put forth by the dealer or the consumer to secure a lower rate, say for a lawn mower, side by side or a tractor or implement, not a home or automobile. Some dealers don't use these types of programs as they prefer not to participate in relinquishing their profits doing so. Take a moment to Google "current fed lending rate" and see how this compares to Honda's 4.99 % rate. Someone once told me, It doesn't matter what the perceived cost of something may be, it only matters what someone is willing to pay for what they desire. I'm retired from the construction and development industry while my family operates an automobile dealership. While in the building industry, we owned and operated a mortgage business as well. Although I don't claim to know everything, my grasp of finance and lending is fairly extensive.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Actually your article refers to points. Points being where a lending institution say in the automobile or housing market has a buy rate from their lender and they have the ability to raise the rate, and bank the difference. You're also dealing in larger sums financed where a small bump in the rate can be very profitable.
The first sentence in the first paragraph (aka the sentence right before the one I quoted) says:

At the CFPB’s auto finance forum on November 14, Director Cordray and other CFPB officials reiterated their distaste for dealer finance charge participation as a method of dealer compensation in the indirect auto finance market.

Two mentions of 'auto finance' in one sentence. No mention of 'larger sums' (e.g., hundreds of thousands for mortgages).

Beyond that, I've financed well over a dozen new vehicles and bought four houses in the past ~25 years, and I've never heard points mentioned when financing a vehicle, only when obtaining a mortgage. I'm no financial analyst, but I'm very well versed in finance, especially consumer lending (and credit risk scoring, the FCRA and the FDCPA, mortgage origination and underwriting).

As I said, I like learning new things every day and will stand corrected. Do you have some credible citations that define dealer participation as dealerships paying part of the cost for a (vehicle) buyer, just to make the sale and get the contract signed? I haven't been able to confirm that.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
No idea about the stuff you guys are talking about. I do know the last two cars and the TH I bought that the dealer told me they deal with several lending institutions and could probably get me a better rate than my CU. Told them it really didn't matter as I'd probably have them paid off within a yr. They did get me a better rate but then asked me not to pay them off within 6 mos. Whether they get some kind of kick back or it's just so those lenders could actually make some money I have no clue? RV dealer tried to sell me gap insurance which makes no sense bc it's not like a car, you insure them for a certain amount and that's it, they don't go by depreciation like a car.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!