lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
While I don't know for sure, I have a sneaking suspension that the engineers/marketing/sales group is in it for the job like I am with my job. I don't do the things I do at work except when I am at work. They probably aren't offroad enthusiasts and when they get off work, they go home and have other hobbies so some of the things that are "obvious" to people who are really into off road driving don't occur to them.

Crow I think there are a few small points you may have over looked.
Like the limited slip diff in the front of the Rincon.
Yes its "open " but tap the front brake and it transfers significant torque to the side with traction.
But it takes some level of skill to get the most out of it.
(Insert random youtube vid)

So I propose an alternate theory.
Maybe the engineers at Honda know something about off road.
So they design vehicles that, with skill work quite well.

I could imagine thease engineers showing up at the take over with a p500 and hanging with the p1k's.
Or bringing a p1K-LE and flying like the wind.

I would love to claim I had thease driving skills but after the take over there are too many members that would jump in and say it was my wife that has the mad driving skills.

J

JTW

Yes its "open " but tap the front brake and it transfers significant torque to the side with traction.

I could imagine thease engineers showing up at the take over with a p500 and hanging with the p1k's.

I would love to claim I had thease driving skills but after the take over there are too many members that would jump in and say it was my wife that has the mad driving skills.
As long as they get the clutch system figured out and Honda solid... everything else is gravy! I see the appeal to the I-4wd for certain situations but I'm sure glad they didn't do away with the manual locking front diff on all model PK's! And they sure as s*** knocked the ball out of the park with the rear seats in the bed!!! ;)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Yea, I would like to see them keep up with me with my Elkas, with there there Foxes in the rocks and sway bars

Reactions: Windrock1000
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

I actually mentioned the Rincon specifically in one of my many walls of text as an example of how you didn't have to have a front locker ;). I used to do that in my old Rincon. That is how the I4WD works just with only a single brake instead of all of them like the Rincon in 4WD.

But it is still inferior to a true locker when you really need a locker.

I have no doubt that there are engineers there who know something about offroad and they are likely being stymied by Marketing/upper management. But there were some pretty obvious mistakes made in the design/implementation that other companies got right.

So are you or someone you are married to/know the mole we have at Honda? (Since you live close to the R&D facility) ;)

Can you push them/bypass Marketing on some items? :D

Chiefly competitor teardowns/reverse engineering and the Human Centered Design Engineering aspect.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Your wife is def a better drive than you...now its on the internet so it has to be true.

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I got one of these today in a 3 person version. Looking forward to driving it. We will put the miles on it. I wlll try to help anyone I can. Real test next month after break in in West VA

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I did purchase the Kawasaki Pro Rancher gas as of an hour ago and I am keeping the Honda!!

It will be nice to have both vehicles to do a comparison with but I just don't think anything out there will deliver the power I'm used to and spoiled with as the Honda.

But for multiple seating, it's nice knowing I can load six people up at once for those times I'm not working with the Rancher.

Do I need 2? HECK NO!!!

Reactions: Plumber32
jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
1 week under the belt with the 1000-3 LE. We like it so far. During the week it had 1 service and 170 miles put on it. Nets came off and the steering wheel needs adjusted and I don't care for the tires. Very nice machine and I like it.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have about 2 full weeks under my belt with the new 2018 P1000-5 LE and I like it much better than my 2016 P1000-3 EPS, as long as the electronics hold up, the I4WD pulls fantastically!

Eslinger_18

Eslinger_18

Wake up and piss excellence!
Supporting Member
Aug 28, 2018
Mt. Angel, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got a 2017 1000-5 LE. My riding buddy has a 2016 1000-5 deluxe. We have both been able to go anywhere we've wanted. I was hesitant about the I-4wd myself at first but after putting about 800 miles on my rig, I have zero complaints. I even hauled my whole cow elk out last season (about 700lbs) up some steep, nasty, muddy trails and made it without a single issue. I cant say enough good things about these machines.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've got a 2017 1000-5 LE. My riding buddy has a 2016 1000-5 deluxe. We have both been able to go anywhere we've wanted. I was hesitant about the I-4wd myself at first but after putting about 800 miles on my rig, I have zero complaints. I even hauled my whole cow elk out last season (about 700lbs) up some steep, nasty, muddy trails and made it without a single issue. I cant say enough good things about these machines.
First WELCOME! A lot of great people here with a lot of knowledge, I just tag along for the ride! Good to hear you are enjoying your Pioneer, I sure like ours! Sure can get a lot of $ tied up in mods/accessories though? We love pictures!

Eslinger_18

Eslinger_18

Supporting Member
Aug 28, 2018
Mt. Angel, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First WELCOME! A lot of great people here with a lot of knowledge, I just tag along for the ride! Good to hear you are enjoying your Pioneer, I sure like ours! Sure can get a lot of $ tied up in mods/accessories though? We love pictures!

Yeah, I've already sunk a few too many $ into her. Especially if you ask my wife!! Not really a fan of the stock tires. They dont hold up well in the terrain I mostly ride in. So I bought a new set of wheels and tires right away.

20180113 152416

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah, I've already sunk a few too many $ into her. Especially if you ask my wife!! Not really a fan of the stock tires. They dont hold up well in the terrain I mostly ride in. So I bought a new set of wheels and tires right away.

View attachment 85164
The 4 Plys got to go, right away! Have you got good skids, that would be the next item on my list, if you don't already have them.

Reactions: Eslinger_18
Eslinger_18

Eslinger_18

Supporting Member
Aug 28, 2018
Mt. Angel, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 4 Plys got to go, right away! Have you got good skids, that would be the next item on my list, if you don't already have them.
Yeah, she's got full aluminum skids. Added a roof, 4500# winch, poly windshield, rear bumper and a ton of lights right off the bat. Kept a few items from my previous utv.

Reactions: sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah, she's got full aluminum skids. Added a roof, 4500# winch, poly windshield, rear bumper and a ton of lights right off the bat. Kept a few items from my previous utv.
More pictures please, I have my drool towel handy!

Reactions: Eslinger_18

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!