P1000 Honda Introduces Pioneer 1000 Limited Edition (LE) Models with I-4WD

S

Sulli

Dec 12, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Our dealership has probably sold between 80-100 P1K since they dropped. The clutch issue is not existent hype. I myself has personally done two (2) clutches out of all the ones we sold and one of those was bcause of a stray particle making the clutch slip until it stuck together and wouldn't quit pulling. My service rep has seen them with over 8,000 miles in Tennessee being used to drive around as rentals. Ive got a dairy farmer who traded in a 20,000 mile Big Red for a 3 seat and put 3200 miles on his unit in 3 months. His only complaint the front tires didnt last, minor heat problems and the overflow bottle for the coolant came loose.

Ive had countless people tell me their Teryx is a scorcher, my service manager owns and older model and he can ride in a t shirt and shorts during winter. Ive seen Rangers with melted a fuel injector harness because of the heat they give off. Honda doesnt have a isolate problem, it's a utv problem. Any machine where you sit on top of the engine is gonna be hot, thats a given. But lets not forget the reason Polaris is calling pretty much every newer utv: for fire related problems, because of heat.
Appreciate your input, but the clutch issue does not seem to be "non existent hype", and I am personally having what appears to be clutch issues. My dealer says they have had quite a few clutch warranties, so we can't just ignore that there may be a problem. This sites own survey of clutch problems is coming in around 10% of owners, that is way to high of a number to be "non existent hype".

J

JTW

Appreciate your input, but the clutch issue does not seem to be "non existent hype", and I am personally having what appears to be clutch issues. My dealer says they have had quite a few clutch warranties, so we can't just ignore that there may be a problem. This sites own survey of clutch problems is coming in around 10% of owners, that is way to high of a number to be "non existent hype".
No.. that's 10% of the people that took the survey, not total users of the site. It would be far less if it were. But as stated before... its the extent of what the issue is that's the question. When talking about a first year machine if it's limited to a production issue in only early machines.. and only limited and random early machines. Then it's not an issue for anyone other than a handful of folks. As long as Honda takes care of those folks.. that's acceptable. Hope you get it taken care of! I know I'd be pissed if I fell into that category but if they fix it.. what more can you ask for? It's going to happen for any new machine... but how the company handles it is what counts!

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
Just to give some idea how i4wd works. This demo is basically using the same technology. I would think that the i4wd would work even better due to being newer tech, also designed specifically for a UTV.

The real advantage is not having to change drive modes (on-demand traction) and better steering control in the turns.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
For a woman driving her kids to school on ice and snow I agree would be nice. How many farmers have this on big farm tractors? None! How many mud bog guys use this none! Lock her in tire 4 wheel drive and hit the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For a woman driving her kids to school on ice and snow I agree would be nice. How many farmers have this on big farm tractors? None! How many mud bog guys use this none! Lock her in tire 4 wheel drive and hit the trail.

There is so much stuff out there that you don't need, but it's sure is cool to have it! Lol

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey

I agree that full lockers are priceless but I have seen the new technologies do things that are just impossible for lockers and old school drivetrains to do! example, crawl control. Check it out;

Also, crawl control's computer will control the vehicle's throttle and brakes in a way that is NOT humanly possible. Anticipating side sliding and traction loss (ascending and descending) the system will trigger one or a combination of several wheel's brakes (including controlling the throttle/torque) to keep the vehicle moving perfectly straight at a set speed of (1 to 5 mph).

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So is the new 4x4 isystem in addition to and manual locking diff and 4x4 are still available in manual or does this replace it entirely and that's the only option??

Personally I kind of like the concept of having it do it all for me ASSUMING it doesn't malfunction on the trail in the real world use! Sounds really sweet and not having to worry about constantly shifting from mode to mode when I'm going from pavement to mud to gravel which I do transition a lot here.

On my Duramax I know I LOVE a floor shifter and will only by a 4 x 4 that has one versus the little auto button you push because I like positive engagement and they have also had problems with that little auto actuator so I'm wondering if that will be the case here?

But the main reason I am here this morning is looking for some real world use of it?

Has anybody bought one yet and taken it through its trials and tribulations and can give definite feedback as to whether or not it's an improvement?

I have to say when it's all said and done this machine has proven itself to be indispensable here in the mountains and I run the crap out of it and use it to do things I didn't think any machine was capable of.

I am taking it places and doing things with I never thought it would go or do!

Most impressive is it's climbing ability and to this day I am still in all total awe I can take this thing almost straight up in the air on embankments and watch it climb as if it was locked in on rails!!!

Another question about 3 vs 5 seater. I am "thinking" about inviting some people here and entertaining the concept of having a little "mini prepper commune" and will have to consider the possibility of driving more than three people around so may go with the 5 this time.

But this is not pleasure and is used for hard work and 99% of the time I haul a lot of stuff around and still adding more roads so bed is always full of gravel and rock and trees iand I don't want to lose that function to a 5!

I take the excavator and load the bed up with rock and I'm afraid the rollbars back there will block me from being able to dump in the bed? Anybody have feedback on that also? Do the rollbars block the loading of the bed area?

Can the rollbars just be for the front like on my three or do you have to have full
encasement for five people?

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh yeah! Because I complained so much about being on a 30° incline with 2000
pounds of gravel in the bed and having to stop and get in and out and then hearing that gigantic "CLUNK" taking it out of gear and then using 2 feet for the brake and the gas so I don't go backwards when I take it out, the hill assist sound awesome to me.

Even though an emergency break would be preferred and easier and simpler I would think and this should've been on the initial release anyway!

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Now it seems my buddy with the can am is in fact coming home

IMG 1146

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree that full lockers are priceless but I have seen the new technologies do things that are just impossible for lockers and old school drivetrains to do! example, crawl control. Check it out;

Also, crawl control's computer will control the vehicle's throttle and brakes in a way that is NOT humanly possible. Anticipating side sliding and traction loss (ascending and descending) the system will trigger one or a combination of several wheel's brakes (including controlling the throttle/torque) to keep the vehicle moving perfectly straight at a set speed of (1 to 5 mph).
People have removed the back roll bars and even put a 3 roof on the 5, and not sure but I think the hill assist hold for just a moment

J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
People have removed the back roll bars and even put a 3 roof on the 5, and not sure but I think the hill assist hold for just a moment
The hill assist does work, the light on the dash will flash for 3 seconds as the manual says. I really didn't think I would use it, because I can multi task but I find myself using it more and more. As I said in a recent post the I-4WD knows what you are trying to do based on the terrain. On the possibility of it failing its not like aselfdriving car as you have both hands on the wheel and feet on the pedals.

Sent from my SM-T818V using Tapatalk

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So is the new 4x4 isystem in addition to and manual locking diff and 4x4 are still available in manual or does this replace it entirely and that's the only option??

It replaces the 4 lock. It is the same technology that is used for vehicle traction controls. The front is an open diff/limited slip that allows it to turn easier and when one wheel slips the brake on the spinning wheel is applied to "move" the torque to the other wheels. That is actually a simplistic explanation but it allows you to get close to the same performance of a locked diff without the need to lock it in. At the cost of increased complexity and increased brake wear.

Personally I kind of like the concept of having it do it all for me ASSUMING it doesn't malfunction on the trail in the real world use! Sounds really sweet and not having to worry about constantly shifting from mode to mode when I'm going from pavement to mud to gravel which I do transition a lot here.

You have to have it in 4WD for it to work though. So you will be driving around in "3WD". It doesn't leave the front loose and apply AWD like the Hilliard system that Polaris and other use.

On my Duramax I know I LOVE a floor shifter and will only by a 4 x 4 that has one versus the little auto button you push because I like positive engagement and they have also had problems with that little auto actuator so I'm wondering if that will be the case here?

It is a manual shift mode, just like the non-LE version. You just have 3 positions (no locked) instead of 4.

But the main reason I am here this morning is looking for some real world use of it?

Has anybody bought one yet and taken it through its trials and tribulations and can give definite feedback as to whether or not it's an improvement?

There are some reports on Facebook.

I have to say when it's all said and done this machine has proven itself to be indispensable here in the mountains and I run the crap out of it and use it to do things I didn't think any machine was capable of.

I am taking it places and doing things with I never thought it would go or do!

Most impressive is it's climbing ability and to this day I am still in all total awe I can take this thing almost straight up in the air on embankments and watch it climb as if it was locked in on rails!!!

Another question about 3 vs 5 seater. I am "thinking" about inviting some people here and entertaining the concept of having a little "mini prepper commune" and will have to consider the possibility of driving more than three people around so may go with the 5 this time.

But this is not pleasure and is used for hard work and 99% of the time I haul a lot of stuff around and still adding more roads so bed is always full of gravel and rock and trees iand I don't want to lose that function to a 5!

The bed is a little smaller and you will need to do something to block the trash/dirt/stuff from falling into the seat mechanisms unless you want to spend a bunch of time cleaning them out. I had the molded in bed liner and I really liked it but I think others have just gone with a rubber mat from Tractor supply but I can't comment on that.

I take the excavator and load the bed up with rock and I'm afraid the rollbars back there will block me from being able to dump in the bed? Anybody have feedback on that also? Do the rollbars block the loading of the bed area?

Yes, they do block stuff compared to an open bed. But the bars can be removed when you are using it for work and then replaced when you have passengers that you want to protect. I never took mine off but I was just using rakes and shovels to load stuff.

Can the rollbars just be for the front like on my three or do you have to have full
encasement for five people?

Depends on how much you like your passengers. :) I personally would want to have the roll bars there for their protection but I have seen lots of pics on Facebook where people were running with the roof from a 3 and no roll bars for the passengers.

If you are thinking about doing that, you might want to just look at adding an aftermarket rumble seat to the back. It would be cheaper than getting a new unit.

The hill assist is just the machine using the brake controller (same way it modulates the brakes to activate the traction control) to hold the brakes for you a few seconds instead of you having to do it. It won't hold them for long.

I think HondaSXS posted a video from the Pioneer Takeover of it in operation, but I don't remember for sure.

While I am sure I will be taken to task for daring to post, I will anyway.

Mine in red.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
While I am sure I will be taken to task for daring to post, I will anyway.

Mine in red.
We ride in White Rock mountain range, some really gnarly stuff, I have pulled out on a dirt road to find out I had rode in low turf mode that whole time. I wish they made a 2 WD model

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So must have some sort of speed sensors on front axles/wheels now. Hope it defaults to full lock if there is a sensor problem.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So must have some sort of speed sensors on front axles/wheels now. Hope it defaults to full lock if there is a sensor problem.

While I am not sure where the sensors are, it works on the same principles as an ABS system. There is a tone wheel that the brake controller uses to count revolutions of the wheels. As long as they are within a +/-X number of revolutions it doesn't do anything. When they exceed that amount it will apply the brake to the wheel that is slipping until the revs get back within the tolerance band.

This, unfortunately precludes "defaulting to full lock" as that would mean locking the brake down which would stop the machine.

If you lose a sensor, you will still have 4WD it will just be 4WD with an open front diff. So if you lose traction on one of the front wheels, it will spin and the other wheel will not be pulling. You will still have the rear wheels locked and should have traction there.

The true locking diff in the standard and Deluxe models is superior from that as well as a pure torque to the ground standpoint but they require you to stop and lock before getting into a mess where this design lets you get out of a mess that you have gotten into without stopping. ;)

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Same operation as a traction control in some vehicles. Get ready to be replacing more brakes pads. I don't like it already.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!