P1000 Honda Introduces Pioneer 1000 Limited Edition (LE) Models with I-4WD

cschomber63

cschomber63

Nov 14, 2016
Beloit
I figure that brake modulator is a fairly expensive piece of tech. I know when mine went out on my old truck just buying it was pretty expensive (I just pulled the fuse and did with out ABS).

I am assuming that they are banking on people thinking the i-4WD is a big deal and hoping that people with buy it because it is a Honda.

I am thinking though that while there are lots of rabid Honda fans out there a $4,000 bite is going to be more than most people are willing to chew on since a lot of the included "improvements" are things that the aftermarket does do an equal or better job for an equal or sometimes lower price point.

I figure their Limited Edition had better be pretty limited because I bet people are going to look elsewhere at that price point.

That is pushing well into the performance category and most people who are going to be shelling out that kind of cash are not going to be looking for a crossover type unit to do work and play. For that price they are going to be wanting to jump dunes and beat their friends in races and go fast and hard, not haul mulch and the family around. Those that aren't into performance that are looking to spend north of $20,000 can get a seriously "trucked out" (A/C, cab system, etc) unit with similar or even better utility functions.

The Pioneer is an awesome machine to do work and play around the $15,000 price point with enough cool factor (Paddle shifters, sport mode, convertible seats) but once you get into that price range I don't think many are going to be looking for what the Honda does well.

To me that is even more so in the 3 seat EPS model.

Good assessment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Curious what everyone thinks of the MSRP price jump from a 2016 1000-5 Deluxe at $17,199 to the 2017 1000-5 LE at $21,599 that is a jump of $4,400. The changes, features of the LE compared to 2016 P1K5D if I recall correctly are:
I4WD
Fox QS3 Shocks
More in cab storage on dash
Illuminated switches, with hill start assist
Automotive painted plastic
Deluxe Front Bumper
Aluminum skid plate (still leaves sides exposed)
Front aluminum A arm guards
Rear aluminum A arm guards
Thicker seat foam
Storage under driver seat
Winch wiring harness

I'll be honest that's about $1600 more for the LE than I expected it to list for, especially since to properly protect the undercarriage you will have to spend another $1K on full UHMW skidplates.

I get why Honda added several items they did, namely the deluxe front bumper, winch wiring harness, aluminum skids and a arms as many who did opt to get a front bumper went with another companies offering, same for a $280 winch wiring harness that comes with 4500# winches all for $250 total vs. $800+ going Hondas route, and the aluminum skids - who would buy them knowingly that they cover only the same area as OEM when full UHMW skids offer far more protection and benefits for the same price. It seems they just emptied the stock shelf of accessories that didn't sell well and threw them on.

On a more positive note, the Fox shocks, hill start assist, added storage, and I4WD which also likely ( and silently) addressed the underlying 2016 clutch shortcomings are worth it. The paint may offer more scratch resistance, but where I ride will still probably not hold up, just have to wait and see on that. I am optimistic, but not sold on the MSRP jump completely.

What is everyone else's thoughts?
Wow.. I think is too damn high for what it is.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Yeah - you gotta wonder what the marketing department was smoking.
I think they should have offered the "LE" model as one step up from the deluxe - one that just includes that fancy brake technology - without all the extra accessories. They would probably get a lot more people buying a cheaper "LE" and getting that tech into the market. With all the extras it just gets to be too much.

AggieVet

AggieVet

Aug 10, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Although it is a steep price, I do think that the new I-4WD system will be a pretty big deal (along with the intelligent braking, and hill start assist). I agree, aftermarket skid plates are better, but a lot of people aren't going to install them anyway. I am seriously considering this model when it is released, even with the larger $$$. I'd rather spend this type of money on a Pioneer, then a Razor or General.

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also looks like the 17 Deluxe is only offered in red, camo, and now blue. No more white or dark grey.

I'll wait til next yr about this time when the leftover 17 "LE's" will be in the 18.5 range

Reactions: JTW
MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Well, I had money saved up but going to put it towards a 17 Raptor instead. Way to go Honda, you are just as greedy and ignorant as all of the other manufacturers.

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Greed....the price point explains itself. Honda doesn't even offer good accessories(a cab that seals). I consider the suspension upgrade as the only positive. The more electronics, the more problems you are inviting. Purely my opinion.
Ignorance....where is the "game changer?" For a $4k increase in price, I expect 100 HP engine. Don't BS me with "its coming" either. $4k should have introduced better shocks, more powerful engine, standard heat and air conditioning, non flattening tires and other innovations. They chose to be lazy instead. Again, my opinion.
We are talking 1/3 price of a loaded Raptor, close to the price of a custom tube 60 inch chassis and suspension(pick your size chassis and drive train) or the price of a used truck that has heat/ air conditioning/windshield wipers etc. Just not something worth saving for or buying anymore.
I am sure Honda doesn't care. I am only one person. Same thing that the CEO of Mitsubishi Motors America told me after I took the time to outline a plan to make them competitive back in 2009......just saying????

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I had money saved up but going to put it towards a 17 Raptor instead. Way to go Honda, you are just as greedy and ignorant as all of the other manufacturers.

Ok... Hmm. If you were looking at a SxS, why not stick with a SxS? Just because you don't like Honda's pricing or whatever, there are other brands of SxS. This makes no sense.

Reactions: sharp
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greed....the price point explains itself. Honda doesn't even offer good accessories(a cab that seals). I consider the suspension upgrade as the only positive. The more electronics, the more problems you are inviting. Purely my opinion.
Ignorance....where is the "game changer?" For a $4k increase in price, I expect 100 HP engine. Don't BS me with "its coming" either. $4k should have introduced better shocks, more powerful engine, standard heat and air conditioning, non flattening tires and other innovations. They chose to be lazy instead. Again, my opinion.
We are talking 1/3 price of a loaded Raptor, close to the price of a custom tube 60 inch chassis and suspension(pick your size chassis and drive train) or the price of a used truck that has heat/ air conditioning/windshield wipers etc. Just not something worth saving for or buying anymore.
I am sure Honda doesn't care. I am only one person. Same thing that the CEO of Mitsubishi Motors America told me after I took the time to outline a plan to make them competitive back in 2009......just saying????

A Raptor is not a SxS...

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
Ok... Hmm. If you were looking at a SxS, why not stick with a SxS? Just because you don't like Honda's pricing or whatever, there are other brands of SxS. This makes no sense.
Stop trying to make sense. For that money you should get a turbo encabulator, 4 locking diffs, and a spare set of 30" tires. You heard the man, with Honda's decision to discontinue all their models save for the $21k one they are greedy.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, everyone wants a Ferrari for 20 grand. I mean, it's smaller than a minivan, it should be cheaper right? God trolls irritate me

Nic

Nic

Dec 9, 2016
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can kinda see his point. You can go out and buy a brand new car for 20k with loads more technology involved in it. I mean I was just at the kawi dealer and they wanted 9200 for a kx450 dirt bike!! I also use to work for a company that was in bed with one of the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers and I, as the purchasing agent, was able to see all the different pricing. You would be shocked at the mark up from when it leaves th factory to the final consumer. This particular manufacture had three price levels. It had regional ( USA vs Australia vs U.K vs South Africa, etc) , dealer, and then consumer. My particular company paid the regional price because we were involved in r&d. it was not uncommon for my company to pay 25 bucks for a $100 part.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can kinda see his point. You can go out and buy a brand new car for 20k with loads more technology involved in it. I mean I was just at the kawi dealer and they wanted 9200 for a kx450 dirt bike!! I also use to work for a company that was in bed with one of the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers and I, as the purchasing agent, was able to see all the different pricing. You would be shocked at the mark up from when it leaves th factory to the final consumer. This particular manufacture had three price levels. It had regional ( USA vs Australia vs U.K vs South Africa, etc) , dealer, and then consumer. My particular company paid the regional price because we were involved in r&d. it was not uncommon for my company to pay 25 bucks for a $100 part.

I get the issue with the price. What I don't understand is comparing it to the price of a Raptor. Apples and oranges...

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
4k price difference ain't much when you compare it to a regular f150fx4 to a raptor. That's a huge price difference, yes it has a awsome motor but it's still a gas motor that can only pull so much. I could buy a used truck for the price of the p1k, but it would rut up my yard and not as convenient as the p1k. A truck also could never go some of the places I've been, the truck would also be more expensive to fix. Plus I already have a truck. I understand where your comming From about price, it seems like your not getting much for the difference but it would cost twice that if you had the dealer turn a deluxe into le with labor included. By the way I'm a ford guy and the raptor is bad to the bone. Good luck.

J

JTW

4k price difference ain't much when you compare it to a regular f150fx4 to a raptor. That's a huge price difference, yes it has a awsome motor but it's still a gas motor that can only pull so much. I could buy a used truck for the price of the p1k, but it would rut up my yard and not as convenient as the p1k. A truck also could never go some of the places I've been, the truck would also be more expensive to fix. Plus I already have a truck. I understand where your comming From about price, it seems like your not getting much for the difference but it would cost twice that if you had the dealer turn a deluxe into le with labor included. By the way I'm a ford guy and the raptor is bad to the bone. Good luck.
Yeah.. my fx4 stickered @ 58k.. the Honda is waaaay cheaper!! Lol.. for me the comparison of my Jeep Rubicon.. bought used for 16k with 34,000 miles on 35's.. made the price of any sxs hard to swallow!

IMG 3604

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not to mention, and I'm sure you all have noticed, this ain't exactly a game for starving college kids. You COULD buy a nice mobile home for 20k, or a truck, or a tiny rock for your wife to wear on her finger, moral to the story is, if you can't afford it, then don't buy it. Which is exactly what we have here with raptor boy. We have a Troll. Btw, I'm not sure if he was talking Yamaha raptor or Ford raptor... Either way seems a stupid comparison.

Edit: just reread the original post. He is indeed talking about the Ford, an even more stupid ass comparison. Hmm. Maybe a FoMoCo employee trying to drum up sales???

Reactions: utvmi

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!